• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
March 2010 Weddings

Just in case (and coming clean about being a brat - long)

I have the rest of today, but then tomorrow I'm heading down to Richmond to spend some time with family and get ready for the weekend! My gramma doesn't have internet at her house, so I doubt I'll be on here much after today - and I won't have time afterwards until we're back from the HM :( But I wanted to say to all you ladies it has been awesome, thanks for all the feedback, and congrats - I can't wait to see you on the other side!

And I do have to admit something - we went over to FI's moms house yesterday and she showed me what she chose for the rehearsal dinner. Ummmm - awkward. Literally everything she chose was something I don't eat. Veal - no. Mushrooms - no. Fish - no. It's an italian restaurant for goodness sake! Where's the spagetti!?!?! Lasagna!?!? So now there is nothing for me to eat at my own rehearsal dinner. I asked her if she would mind changing one of the entrees to chicken parm - but she is not organized and very forgetful....I guess I'll just have to eat a big lunch...but to be completely truthful, I am extremely disappointed. We are going to a restaurant I absolutely love, and I won't get to eat anything.

Any suggestions? (And if it's stop being a brat, tha'ts ok)

Re: Just in case (and coming clean about being a brat - long)

• edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2010-weddings_just-case-coming-clean-being-brat-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:588Discussion:d818f480-6ac6-48b3-96ba-820f2c0f8468Post:4c4b57ed-1164-48e4-adda-8fd7514b7770">Re: Just in case (and coming clean about being a brat - long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]call the restaurant ahead of time and order something special for yourself.  If you want chicken parm, go for it.  I am sure that they would do this for the bride or if not, with enough notice, the minimal cost for one off menu dish should not be a problem.
    Posted by susandstanek[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily recommend this.  We had one of our guests do this at my bridal shower and it's now caused a huge rift. 

OP- is the mushroom dish a meal by itself or just a side to one of the other dishes?  I would (again) sit FMIL down and say suggest maybe substituting chicken for veal as not everyone likes veal and it limits the choices of guests.  I do agree that she's really limited your choices as I neither like veal or fish (but I love mushrooms). 

EDIT: I should say that the guest who did that at my bridal shower never even asked if she could order something different, she just did.  It wasn't until we received the bill for everything that we realized what had happened. 
  • If its a restaurant I don't see how they'd have any issue with making on dish in particular for you - you'd probably be able to just pull the waitress aside and ask for something after explaining the situation.  Just play it off saying that FMIL didn't realize you don't eat her choices.  And um who would choose veal over chicken for a party?  Yes I personally like veal but I'd never pick it as a food choice.
  • Stuffed mushrooms and then chicken marsala. I could probably move the mushrooms off that one, but I don't even like marsala that much.

I was just really surprised too - it was like she chose the fanciest items without even considering that the reason we chose italian was to NOT be fancy and to choose something everyone would like (which we discussed in detail when choosing the place). Then she goes and chooses the items that people would have the most problem with (not even just me - a lot of my family doesn't eat seafood or veal either)

I wish I had just chosen the menu....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2010-weddings_just-case-coming-clean-being-brat-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:588Discussion:d818f480-6ac6-48b3-96ba-820f2c0f8468Post:39fc720c-36b7-40cb-86ac-a85b61b9cc42">Re: Just in case (and coming clean about being a brat - long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just in case (and coming clean about being a brat - long) : I don't necessarily recommend this.  We had one of our guests do this at my bridal shower and it's now caused a huge rift.  OP- is the mushroom dish a meal by itself or just a side to one of the other dishes?  I would (again) sit FMIL down and say suggest maybe substituting chicken for veal as not everyone likes veal and it limits the choices of guests.  I do agree that she's really limited your choices as I neither like veal or fish (but I love mushrooms). 
    Posted by Misa125[/QUOTE]

I agree with Misa 100%. I think it would be weird for the bride to have a different meal than everyone else.I hate mushrooms and my MOH had a mushroom chicken at her reception I ate it with no complaints but would have been quite upset had she had a different option because she didn't like mushrooms! I would follow-up with FMIL and tell her while you think thtat veal is an excellent choice, you think chicken parm would be more popular with your guests/BP etc. If she seems overwhelmed offer to call the restaurant on her behalf to have it changed.
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
    BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
    BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
    TTC on hold until December
  • Thats ok my MIL proceeds to tell me that insted of getting pizza and salad at the place we are having rehearsal dinner as we planned she has decided to get mosticholli which we are having as one of our entrees the next day at the wedding. Needless to say some mother in laws are just not in tune to somethings. She also went out and got a dress to match the color of the wedding party dresses after I told her to get something neutral but I thought as long as she didn't show up in White what did I care. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ooooooooo don't get me started on MIL's dress color - she's not telling me what color it is and i'm pretty sure its b/c its navy blue like by girls are wearing.  THE ONE THING I ASKED WAS TO NOT WEAR NAVY BLUE!
  • My advice would be to have FI talk to her about it...and instead of wording it that you don't like that stuff, I would take the tactic that PP have said and suggest that she add a pasta choice or chicken parm choice for people who do not like fancy kind of things....how about penne vodka for example?  Plus, you will need a vegetarian option, righ?
  • This happens to me A LOT!

I am a vegetarian. I can't tell you how many times I've been invited somewhere, by people I know, and had nothing to eat at all .. or if I did have something to eat, I ate a baked potato and salad. It's hard for me to explain why I can't just pick off the peperoni's on the pizza, or why i won't eat the vegetable soup if it was made with chicken broth.

So, I am actually (being very snotty and rude) and providing only vegetarian entree's at my reception! FI, me, his parents, and my sis are all vegetarian, everyone else can just deal for once! It'll be great food anyway.

If I was you... I would speak to the waiter or call the restaurant and order your own entree... It shouldn't be that hard just to cater to one person's needs and YOU"RE THE BRIDE!

Best of luck!
    [img]http://lb1m.lilypie.com/dPagm4.png[/img]

TTC since May 2010
    Thyroid nodules- monitoring
    laprascopic appendectomy - march 10
    March 29- DX- Bilateral Hydrosalpinx
    laproscopic salpingectomy ( both tubes removed) June 6
    ivf #1 in august
    ER 8/12. -- ET (2 grade A blasts) 8/17 -- beta 8/25 =131 --beta2 8/29 = 509 -- beta3 8/31 =675 -- beta4 9/2 = 1017. We also have 5 frosties :)
    ***S/PAIFW***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards