Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures

Last night was HORRIBLE, to say the least.

So, I have an ingrown toenail on my right foot, which is my good foot (disgusting, I know- sorry, TMI).  I was cleaning it, per doctor's/mom's instructions (my mom is a nurse), with Brian's help.  We were using a syringe (without the needle) to gently pour hydrogen peroxide over my toe, to get out all the yuck. 

Well, a stream of it got on both my left leg and my right leg (we were doing this in the tub.  It was super cold, but it didn't affect my right leg at all.  My left leg, however, was a different story.  Immediately, you could see where the liquid had dripped down my leg and ankle, and onto my foot.  It looked like I was dirty, and needed to take a bath or shower, and it had drizzled outside on my leg- only my leg wasn't dirty at all.

You can see the reaction of the RSD in my leg in the pictures below; the mottling and the dark, dark discoloration.  It's the worst in my foot, but it's also up my leg, past my knee, which confirms that it is spreading terribly, which we knew, but we didn't want to think about.  We don't really have the greatest pictures, not like those who usually have it in their arms. 

Since it's in my leg, we can keep it wrapped up really good, and keep it in really warm boots, and if it's not in really warm clothing, it's under really warm blankets (supported by electricity).  When I do take it out, the exposure to air does make it mottle, but not this bad.  We also take care not to let it get near cold water, both streams like this or gushes like in a bath or swimming pool (not without protection- I wear scuba gear when swimming).

Also, I am in stage 3 (well, I waver back and forth between stage 2 and stage 3)- most people who have the color change and the swelling and mottling and all that are in the very beginning of the disease progression.  One of my very close friends, she has only had it maybe 6 months and her arm mottles terrble, like mine did back when I had it in the beginning, only we didn't know what I had, and we didn't think to take pictures back then- we thought it was part of a really bad sprained foot or a hairline fracture that they missed, which is why we fought it, and it exploded into this.  By the time we got to see another doctor, we were over 6 months in, and I had already started to progress into stage 2 (every person progresses at a different timeline, just like with cancer).

Anyway, back with the story...

We tried to rinse it off with very warm water, but for some reason, the water would not warm up.  So Brian wiped me down gently, and then put me to bed with layer upon layer of clothes, blankets, heating pads, and hand warmers (we stuff those between layers of socks, as well as in the bed itself).  He then goes to try to see what's wrong, why don't we have any hot water.

Well, that entailed him cleaning the cat's litter boxes, since our cat's litter boxes are kept in the same closet/room as the hot water heater, and are directly in front of the heater, and they needed to be done, badlybadly!  As he started to do the litter boxes, he noticed the carpet was wet.  He finished up the boxes, and moved them out (he only put litter in one, and moved it upstairs).  He noticed the tank had water dripping down its sides, and that the top had water on it too.  So he called the emergency maintainence people.

Turns out, our hot water heater busted.  And not only did it bust, it had to be replaced right away.  And not only did it had to be replaced right away (right away meaning they had to go to their warehouse, which gave Brian about 30 minutes), the entire closet room had to be cleared out to do it- which is where we store all our Christmas decorations.  On top of that, the dog was going freakin' nuts because she was in the crate- usually she would be up here with me, but because I was in so much pain, Brian kept her downstairs with him.

But it gets better.  Because it leaked,  they have to have some guy come out today and clean and disinfect the carpet so that they don't get mold in their apartment (not ours, theirs).  And because Brian has to go to work today, even though I am still in excrutiating pain, I have to go let this guy in for an hour, deal with the dog for an hour, and then try and relax after it all (which doesn't sound like much, but my muscles right now are killing me, and this is huge because of what happened last night).

I think this pisses me off more because this was supposed to be an "upgraded" apartment; they told us when we were looking before we moved in that they were in the process of upgrading all of this size apartments, including the bathrooms, appliances, etc.  So far, the washer and dryer have died, and the hot water heater has exploded.  What's next in your "upgraded" apartment?

Anyway, here are the pictures.  These are on FB, if you are friends with me on there.  These were taken with my husband's iPhone, so they are not the greatest quality, but they should hopefully give you some idea of the extent of overall pain; it was so much worse looking in person.  Here is the first one, where you can see the "rivers" that make it look like dirt, but it's not; that's what mottling is and discoloration is.

This is the second one, which is a close up of my ankle and foot, which is where my initial RSD injury occurred.  The mottling was much worse here; it was so dark, I looked like I had just spent an entire summer in Aruba with no sunscreen.  But trust me, it was nowhere near as pretty.

I have no idea what time the guy will be here, but hopefully he won't take the full hour (Please, Lord, don't let him take longer).

This was on top of a very long weekend to begin with...

Re: UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures

• Options
    edited December 2011
    STAY ON THE MAINTENANCE PEOPLE!!!!!  H had a leak in his roof, that went untreated (although reported to the leasing/maint office) and eventually sprung a leak into his bed room!  He also had a leak (probably the same source) that gushed down his window frame and onto the floor.  They are not responsive at all.  They only acted on it after H threatened to call the BBB and a bunch of other people.  I took pics of all the issues just in case they tried to keep his deposit when he moved out.

The women in that leasing office are useless (or at least they were 3 years ago when H lived there).

I'm sorry your leg is flaring and you have to deal with apartment issues.  Can you possibly stay in bed, keep the dog upstairs, and just let the maintenance people do their work in the closet alone?
  • Options
    jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you should probably warn in the title of this post not to read while eating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What, Jess?  Puss and toenail clippings don't sound appetizing to you?

Whatever.  I have had to read your posts about your MS and all that, I posted this once (I have been really good about limiting my posting about my RSD, since I know not everyone wants to hear about it), and you are, once again, back with your smart a$$ attitude. 

I am sorry if I am being a little harsh right now.  But you have jumped on me again and again, in some form or another, and have never once shown compassion in any way. I have also spent the night nauseated and puking, and my pain levels are at a 10+ right now.  I have a LOT of meds in my system.  A LOT; the amount I take would probably kill the average person.  The affect my judgement, and they affect my temper.  But I still think you are being really harsh, and really insensitive. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It's not that I don't have compassion for your situation.  I just don't think this is the forum to discuss your disease ad nauseum.  Haven't you noticed that the regular knotties have been posting less and less on your marathon, 1,000 word posts?  You might see it as harsh, but sorry lady.  I see it as the truth.  I'm guessing people don't come to a wedding message board to read about it.

And re: my MS?  I posted twice, because I was asked directly twice.  As I'm sure you're aware, I don't frequent this board so much, at least as far as posting goes.  But your martyr-dom gets old after a while.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Seriously? This is disgusting. And what's with your novels? Be short. Nobody wants to hear about your puss filled feet. Everyone has problems but this is a wedding board not webmd. I got an idea. How about to bring down the swelling in your feet you drop 100 pounds? Morbid obesity is the cause of dozens of problems including yours. Aside from your dog and husband do you have any real friends to talk to about your problems instead of posting about your little ailments here and on Facebook? just wondering.
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_ughfrustrating-long-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:662f8a86-251e-48be-a922-5257608ec6cbPost:d798c087-358a-41bf-af81-94e5de6302b2">Re: UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seriously? This is disgusting. And what's with your novels? Be short. Nobody wants to hear about your puss filled feet. Everyone has problems but this is a wedding board not webmd. I got an idea. How about to bring down the swelling in your feet you drop 100 pounds? Morbid obesity is the cause of dozens of problems including yours. Aside from your dog and husband do you have any real friends to talk to about your problems instead of posting about your little ailments here and on Facebook? just wondering.
    Posted by Enoughisenough12[/QUOTE]

Where I'll be the first to admit I don't read Briar's posts, and this one is way too TMI esp. for this board, the personal attacks go too far.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you guys don't want to read MBR's "marathon" "novel" posts, then why click on it?  I don't understand why people continue to attack her when you knowingly click on a post that you KNOW will be long and most likely personal.  Next time, just skip over it.  There's no need to attack someone who's looking for sympathy.

And jess, I believe you were the one trying to correct some of us last week or whenever it was for not showing sympathy about having baby fever.... that's not wedding related either is it?  Neither are my posts about family, or BP's posts about her pregnancy.  Moot point.

It's messed up that people get attacked by strangers for venting about their personal struggles on a public forum.  Show some respect.

Happy F*cking Monday.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with Hilary on this one, wholeheartedly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know, if you really pay attention to this board, it's not overly wr. All of us talk about subjects that don't have anything to do with weddings, because we're all able to think of things other than weddings. And FWIW, for the length of the posts MBR makes, she doesn't post that often. Maybe once every few weeks about it, to keep us up to date on her situation. If it was a bride with cancer, you'd be concerned, no? Maybe want to know some updates? Same deal, buddy. Same deal.

If you don't like her posts, don't open them. kthanksbai.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FTR, I did not "attack" her.  You all have severe misconceptions about the definition of attack.  If I see moronic posts, I'm entitled to comment as I see fit.  I thought that post was moronic.  That's not a personal attack on MBR herself.

I highly suggest you all get off your high horses.  I know for a fact that a lot of people aren't commenting on this particular thread because they agree with me but don't want to upset the new "bullies" on this board like MH, who seems to pride herself on her "directness and bluntness" yet can be just as "harsh" as me.  But you all like her so it's fine.

If you don't like me, I truly don't care.  Just don't pull your double standard crap on me.  I will call you out on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a bully?  Wow... you should be friends with my mom.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_ughfrustrating-long-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:662f8a86-251e-48be-a922-5257608ec6cbPost:987b9e19-1cce-4f43-905f-bfa823ba6381">Re: UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]FTR, I did not "attack" her.  You all have severe misconceptions about the definition of attack.  If I see moronic posts, I'm entitled to comment as I see fit.  I thought that post was moronic.  That's not a personal attack on MBR herself. I highly suggest you all get off your high horses.  I know for a fact that a lot of people aren't commenting on this particular thread because they agree with me but don't want to upset the new "bullies" on this board like MH, who seems to pride herself on her "directness and bluntness" yet can be just as "harsh" as me.  But you all like her so it's fine. If you don't like me, I truly don't care.  Just don't pull your double standard crap on me.  I will call you out on it.
    Posted by jessica0602[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I didn't think you "attacked" her... I was referring to the other post as the one that was a personal attack. That one was way out of line, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um, there's nothing in the least bit that would say that MH is a bully. Nothing. She's honest, direct, but still knows how to be tactful and say something without coming across as mean. Just as she was in her post. Just because she didn't walk on eggshells to respond to you.  If your first post was meant as humorous, it was a slightly failed attempt.

I still stick to the point that if you don't like it, don't open it. You had the choice to not open it- no one forced you to. No one forced you to respond to it either. You could have just backed out when you saw what it was about. You chose to write something that, especially to someone who is in an immense amount of pain and emotional because of it, could be conceived as hurtful. If you know you'll get this kind of reaction, I think either you enjoy drama, or you just plain don't care about other's feelings.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_ughfrustrating-long-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:662f8a86-251e-48be-a922-5257608ec6cbPost:bea8a98a-e475-4b82-a6a5-b1b63736be91">Re: UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: UGH...FRUSTRATING. (long) with pictures : FWIW, I didn't think you "attacked" her... I was referring to the other post as the one that was a personal attack. That one was way out of line, IMO.
    Posted by Madam A[/QUOTE]

Ditto this, it was the other post that took it out of line, and was inappropriate. And just mean.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And yet not one person disagreed with my original post.  Hmm....
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>And yet not one person disagreed with my original post.  Hmm.... <<

MBR vent + pictures= common sense not to open while eating.  ;)

Hope you are feeling better Brit.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto MH and Amer. 

And ditto the fact  MBR is very long, and tells so in the title of the post. So why open it when CLEARLY it says it is long.

I hope you are ok soon MBR :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amer,
    I must have no common sense because yes - I was eating while reading this initially..  I since have thrown out said food.   ugh.  I do agree a warning would have beeen nice!  

MBR,
    Sorry about your troubles.  And regarding the apartment, definitely STAY ON THE MAINTENANCE PEOPLE, dh had similar issues in his old apartment and it only got worse the longer they delayed fixing things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, when I originally read this, I thought she was frustrated with her pictures (meaning wedding photography)... so I opened it to see what the issue was. I had no idea it was medical/toe/nail issues, which were TMI for me, so yes a warning would have been fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards