Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

good seamstress?

I'm looking for recommendations for a good seamstress in the area, preferrabely north of the city (Lansdale area). I'm a cincinnati knottie but my parents live in the area and my mom is looking for a seamstress for her MOB dress. TIA!

Re: good seamstress?

• edited December 2011
    I don't have a recommendation for the Lansdale area, but Nilah and Co. did the work on my wedding gown. Nilah is great, I would highly recommend her. She lives in Drexel Hill.
  • edited December 2011
    My mom sews, do you know what your mom needs done? My mom has fixed multiple bridal gowns and many other types of dresses.

Harleysville Bridal isn't too far from Lansdale, they have a sister store in Lansdale, actually.  It's called Page Six... it's haute. They would probably be able to help out? They are so friendly there!

There's also a seamstress in Collegeville across the bridge that is really good. I can't think of the name, but it's near the beer distributor on Ridge Pike.
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• bbohacbbohac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    diana, my mom needs to get the bust and the hem of her dress taken in. She's also looking into possilbly getting a bolero jacket made to go with her dress, if we can find the fabric. Thanx!
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bb- I suggest Nilah, esp if you are looking for a bolero jacket to be made. I'm going on Saturday for my first fitting, but she does customized wedding gowns and ton's of other stuff. It may be a little bit of a drive (half hour) but well worth it.

If you start a new topic with Nilah in the title, you will get quite a few girls saying how great she is.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Nilah but she is expensive.

She charged my BM's 160 dollars to have their gowns altered and their dresses only cost 140. The alterations were more than the actual price of the dress and it wasn't crazy alterations... just shortening the straps on the halter and the length.

She also wasn't willing to work with us on the length of the sashes on the dresses. A couple of my girls needed extra length because they are tall and when she altered the dress length, she wouldn't alter the sash length and the sashes were waaaaayyyy too long for the dresses. They didn't look right and it wasn't how it was pictured on the designer's website. 

Getting the extra length added 15 inches to the dress.  So if she cut off 11 inches of that for the bottom, there was still the excess 15 inches on the sash. I was kind of upset how she was blowing me off at the time about it but I didn't feel like putting to much energy in to it to be angry about it. I kinda felt like she didn't want to listen to my sash opinions because she thought I had no idea what I was talking about.

ETA: The only reason I was upset about the dresses being 160 to be altered was because the shop where we got the dresses was going to charge 60 dollars. We decided to go with Nilah though because she said she would make sure everyone's sashes matched the same.  When here, she wouldn't touch the sashes anyways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I can see hems, and the alters costing that much. With the halther straps it's more than just making the strap shorter. It does take a lot of time. And same with hems. My mom definitely undercharges a lot of the time because she feels people are going to squirm about the price.

Were there a lot of layers to your bm dresses? I think that's a little crazy she wouldn't fix the sashes. I would have told her you came to her highly recommended about her services, and that at the moment you were being a little disappointed. 

bbohac - Usually JoAnn Fabric's has a great selection of material and you could probably find something there to match!

~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Davids bridal is also selling sashes and what not now, they have a ton of colors. I just got a quote from Nilah and it seems right in line with what is normally charged. Sorry you had a bad experience HW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards