• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2010 Weddings

went to get dress...

So I went today to pick up my dress... but it's still at the store.

They called me 45 minutes before my appointment to postpone it... I was not happy.  I went when I was originally scheduled anyways.

There was a stitch in the top that was pulled and it pulled fibers in the fabric so there's a rip there.

They are going to have to order a whole new dress because of the rip.

I HATE the back of it- when I had the sample on it was too small so the store owner assured me that it would fit the way I wanted it to when it was in my size.  Well, it's in my size and the back is not at all what I wanted and what she assured me it was going to be.  

I'm not sure if I just don't like the dress now because I legitimately don't like it or because I was so stressed out and frustrated.  Either way... not good.

Has anyone else had dress issues???  I feel like everyone else is just excited, excited, excited and their whole dress experience goes smoothly... am I the odd bride out?

Re: went to get dress...

• Here there, you're totally not the odd one out and I am so sorry that this happened to you. It sounds as though you've been treated really badly and I hope they do something to make it up to you.

Before I discovered this board I read the dress board quite a lot and there things like this are reported on a fairly regular basis there so you are, unfortunately, not alone. :(

As for me personally, I'm having quite a bit of dress doubt, so I'm not all excited. I feel a bit better about it than I did, but I'm still scared to see the dress again in February in case I am completely underwhelmed by it.

If you have an opportunity to pick another dress then perhaps sleep on it and see whether it's the dress or the situation that are making you feel this way. What is it about the back that's not fitting right?

Good luck and you're not alone! Come back and vent whenever you need to (though I hope nothing makes you need to). xxx
  • I'm not very happy with my dress either. I let my friends/family influence my decision way too much. They convinced me it was "the one" because of the inexpensive price. It's very plain.  Plus the sample fit so much differently than the one I ordered does. The skirt part is poofier than I wanted..the sample looked more fitted around my hips but of course that was becaue the sample was 3 sizes too small :)  I haven't gone for my first fitting yet but I did go to try it on. I don't know if that's an alteration they can even make. I'm sad that I don't love it. I wish I had that feeling that some ladies have about their dress. I can't afford a new dress, nor is there time to order a new dress...so hopefully after the first fitting I can convince myself that I love it more than I do now.
  • sms274sms274 member
    100 Comments
    edited December 2009
    My dress hasn't come in but I am dreading it because since ordering my dress I have had NOTHING but problems with the dress shop. I am super nervous and when my dress comes in promptly removing it from there store and taking it somewhere else fro alterations.

i am REALLY sorry about your dress. I think that if it's an option, go back in and put it on really look at the dress, minus the rip, and see if you truly don't love it anymore or if it was just the frustration of the moment. If you still hate the back express your concerns to the owner and tell her you were informed the back would be different than it is and if they can't fix it to how you were told it would be and see if there is anything they can do to get you a new dress without extra cost, if they won't and they are an authorized dealer I would let the designer know they are misrepresenting and mis-selling their dresses.

• I haven't had any problems but it just makes me sad to read all of your stories. I am sorry you are having such issues. I hope that they can make it right for you and you will be happy with the dress in the end!
  • I'm so sorry :( I agree that if at all possible it would be good for you to go back in with a clear head and try it on and be certain what it is that is making you feel this way about your dress-the stress of the situation or the simple fact that it is not what you want.

If they are unable to work something out with you toward a different dress (if you want to go that route), what about checking your local board for an amazing seamstress to see if she can work some magic on the dress you already purchased?

I bought my dress knowing that it was the base for what I want and then found an amazing seamstress who is going to make my vision out of my starting point. I knew I woud never find exactly what I see in my head so I found the best possible starting point and I love my dress already, but I cannot wait to see it become what I've dreamt.

Try to stay positive and check out all of your options and I'm certain you will find a way to fall in love with the dress you wear down the aisle. Good luck and please keep us posted!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2010-weddings_went-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:590Discussion:425bf728-0538-42ef-b31b-ee3d7da74358Post:ffa139a5-9c1d-4da9-b8c6-4cda67024ad7">Re: went to get dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not very happy with my dress either. I let my friends/family influence my decision way too much. They convinced me it was "the one" because of the inexpensive price. It's very plain.  Plus the sample fit so much differently than the one I ordered does. The skirt part is poofier than I wanted..the sample looked more fitted around my hips but of course that was becaue the sample was 3 sizes too small :)  I haven't gone for my first fitting yet but I did go to try it on. I don't know if that's an alteration they can even make. I'm sad that I don't love it. I wish I had that feeling that some ladies have about their dress. I can't afford a new dress, nor is there time to order a new dress...so hopefully after the first fitting I can convince myself that I love it more than I do now.
    Posted by collins.christine[/QUOTE]

Is there anything that could be added to your dress to not make it so plain, any embellishments, diamante or beading? You could customise it a bit or give it to a talented seamstress who could come up with some ideas??

I'm sorry to hear of all the bad experiences. I went for a fitting today and I'm so grateful of my dress shop, they've happily kept the dress there since it's been in (since October) and it looked perfect when they fetched it out.

To the OP, good luck with your dress drama.

xjcx
  • That sucks I just got the call a week ago that my dress is in but I haven't had the money to go get it. I hope it looks ok. Its the only dress I tried on I went in there looking for that one dress and sometimes seeing other dresses I wish I would have tried more on. But oh well to late now. Hope you can figure things out with your dress alterations people can do some amazing things.l
  • What a bummer that I'm not the only one with issues... Why can't wedding dress shopping/ordering be easier?  ...lame.

I called the shop to talk to the owner today... they said that she won't be back until next week.  So, now I have to wait until next week to speak to her before I find out what's going on with the dress manufacturer.  argh.
  • I am sorry to hear about all of the wedding dress problems. I ordered my dress July 10th this year and have been patiently waiting for it to arrive! At the latest it should be here Jan. 10th. The sample that I tried on was ivory with champagne accents. I ordered it ivory with ivory accents. So I really can't wait to see what it will look like! This dress is from a private label and they unfortanely don't have any pictures of it online or at the bridal shop! So I am going crazy thinking about what it will look like! Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards