Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

NWR - Dog boarding/kennels

I know there are lots of dog lovers on the board so I wanted to see if any of you ladies had any reccomendations for dog boarding or kennels.

We're going down the shore for the weekend and usually my FILs whatch our 1 year old chocolate lab, but they are away this weekend :(  We only boarded Chase in a kennel once before at his vets but he was kept in a concrete cage all weekend and never walked or taken outside to go the bathroom.

I'm looking for a place thats gives the dogs plenty of outdoor time and playtime with other dogs since he plays well with others.  I live in Roxborough and am looking for somewhere not too far from here or even in South Jersey so I can drop him off/pick him up on the way to the shore. Thanks!

image 247 Invited so far!
image 170 Are ready to party!
image 35 Will be missing out!
image 42 Are MIA!

Re: NWR - Dog boarding/kennels

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have both a NON recommendation and a good recommendation :)   Best Friends daycare/kennel is my NON recommendation.   We had a horrible experience there where Oscar was neglected and we even reported them for it and they were investigated.  

If you're not far from the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman bridge, my friend Sam is a dog-sitter.  She visits dogs in their home but only in S Jersey, however she will do in-home sitting if you want.  It's a little pricey but she treats the dogs like royalty.  We actually met from her pet-sitting Oscar and became friends (we had replied to an ad she had in the paper).  Her pet sitting service is called Aunt Sammi's Pet Sitting and she is fully licensed, bonded and insured as a real business.  

• Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use Go Fetch Pet Sitters (gofetchpetsitters.com) for my 4 year old black lab. They are amazing and will leave you notes about what they did each time they stopped by (each visit is about 20-30 minutes, I think). They will want to come and "meet" you and your lab first, but they are very flexible about the time.

They have a "get away" package that includes them coming by 4 times each day to play with/feed your dog and it's only $45/day.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Roxy too! If you dont find anything I can help you out and watch your pup. Take him for walks, feed him. Whatevers clever! PM if you need!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Nean324Nean324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a non-recommendation - stay far away from Family Pet Reosrt!
    "I don't need another kind of green to know I'm on the right side with you" John Mayer
  • Options
    laurak43laurak43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you are still having trouble, call your vet and see if they recommend a place or person.  My vet does boarding but I also noticed they had ads posted for dog sitters, trainers, poop scoopers, etc.  They might be able to recommend someone that other clients of theirs have used.

I'll be boarding my 3 pups at the vet for the day of the wedding.  Its not the preferred situation but I know and trust the people there and couldn't imagine going to a stranger.  For the honeymoon FI's brother has agreed to stay at our house and take care of them.  He's my favorite pup sitter!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Heather I would totally watch Chase for you anytime but we're leaving for OBX on Sunday really early. 

Bean - do you feel weird letting someone have a key to your house when you're away? 
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_nwr-dog-boardingkennels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:818d1343-6884-4214-9901-6eb64153219dPost:a2dc3408-b36b-4c2f-9eeb-8b7a519fb1cf">Re: NWR - Dog boarding/kennels</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heather I would totally watch Chase for you anytime but we're leaving for OBX on Sunday really early.  Bean - do you feel weird letting someone have a key to your house when you're away? 
    Posted by QTsgirl522[/QUOTE]

Normally, I would have been uncomfortable. However, our very good college friends have been using Go Fetch for about 6 months now a few times a week for their puppy and have never had a problem with them. They are pretty private and their recommendation really put me at ease.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LadybugBride3LadybugBride3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oodsie - thanks for the heads up, I was ready to call best friends bc their website looked good!

QT I know you would but I'm afraid he would eat one of the cats haha!

I found a place in Cherry Hill called Camp bow wow where the dogs play inside/outside all day, so I think thats best environment for him. He's only a year and still chews so I'm afraid to leave him out when we're not home just  yet.

image 247 Invited so far!
    image 170 Are ready to party!
    image 35 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are MIA!
  • Options
    LadyBoopLadyBoop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Family Pet Resort in Newtown Square is great!  my dogs will be staying in a "vacation villa" there while my FI and I are in CA for my brother's wedding.  they will have a full-size bed and a flat screen tv.  haha.  my parents take their dog there, and i have a friend who takes her dog there, too.  i've never heard anything but positve feedback and everyone i've met there is great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards