Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Book Recs

It's been a while since we did one of these threads. I finished the series I was reading a couple days ago and I'm looking for something new. Any good book recommendations? I love historical fiction, mystery, and (a little embarassingly) young adult books.
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Book Recs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My SIL recommended the Hunger Games.  I haven't had a chance to pick them up yet but another friend really loved it too.  There are 3 books in the series.  I'm pretty sure they are young adult books.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just read Fever 1793 for a class, it a YA Hist Fiction.  It was great! I highly recommend it. I am currently reading another YA Hist Fiction Letters from Rifka.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    QT - Those are terrific! You should definitely pick them up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I highly doubt you'll want to read these, but I just finished Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life, am currently reading The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman, and next up is Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink.

• Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm reading the Girl who played with fire, second book to  Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.  It's really good!  I'd put it in the mystery category.

Lined up on my Nook is the next 2 books in the Hunger Games Series... and Something Borrowed. 

Hil - co worker talks a lot about 5 languages of Love... let me know what you think.

my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I picked up Think Again for the first time in about 3 weeks last night! I hate when I get busy and am too tired to read! I have My Horizontal Life waiting to be read if I ever get through this one!

Mana - I loved the Something Borrowed, Something Blue series!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mana - I'm about half way through 5 love languages... so far, for me, it's not mind-blowing OMG kind of information.  But, to it's defense I have a psych background so the concept that people have different needs is not new to me.  My friend also raves about it and I think that's because it not only defines each of the "languages" but it also gives examples so people can udnerstand and maybe they recognize those traits in others.  You can borrow it when I'm done if you want.
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was really into Flowers in the Attic, and that whole series. I've gotten to the middle of the 2nd book, but should really get back into it. A great set of books.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_book-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8216cbb4-3655-43bd-9e64-6ae6bc775972Post:a717f05e-b92b-4ca1-bdec-33d92c11e4d5">Re: Book Recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I picked up Think Again for the first time in about 3 weeks last night! <strong>I hate when I get busy and am too tired to read! I</strong> have My Horizontal Life waiting to be read if I ever get through this one! Mana - I loved the Something Borrowed, Something Blue series!
    Posted by nicole8586[/QUOTE]

This! I keep starting books and not finishing them...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Nicole - I heard it was good, and I like to read the book before a movie comes out.  I think that's next in line.

Hil - That would be awesome, Thanks! 
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hil - I read Chealsea Handler's book and thought it was entertaining.

I also loved "Love The One You're With" by Emily Griffin.  I liked it better than Something Borrowed.
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YA seriess- Evernight - it's entertaining- not mind blowing like Hunger Games- but fast paced read and decent. I'm starting the last book today at lunch.

Also -  James Patterson has the Maximum Ride series - really good - especially the first couple of books.

If you've never read Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, I also highly recommend those - even if just for the male characters and the yumminess that ensues.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I am going to have to start looking these all up on Amazon!
  • Options
    AnneN2011AnneN2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been reading books By Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells and The Peach Keeper

They are really beautifully wirtten and have a certian magic about them. Quick, easy, and very lovely reads.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Bean--you FINISHED the Outlander series??  I'm super jealous.

I forget... did you read the Song of Fire & Ice series?  I feel like you have.  But if you haven't, that's awesome.  I'm halfway through the first one and can't put it down.

As far as historical fiction... Rosalind MIles has 2 great series, one about Guenevere and one about Tristan & Isolde.  Both are 3 books each.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    RA - Yup! FINALLY! They did get a lot better after I made it through Fiery Cross, but they never got back to the level of Book 1 or 2. I adore Song of Fire and Ice. I already have the next one on preorder for when it publishes in July. Those are fabulous. I'll have to look into the Guenevere books; I've already read the Isolde ones. I'm a big Arthurian fan.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think the first one is called Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anne - I LOVE Sarah Addison Allen! I read "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" and I'll be grabbing the others for my honeymoon - if I can wait.

Also - Bean - thanks for the post. I'm now going to be stealing RAs recs!
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    <<Also - Bean - thanks for the post. I'm now going to be stealing RAs recs! >>

This. 
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bean - just ordered the hunger games trilogy.  I had a BN gc so I got them for $11. woooo
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay QT! I hope you like them as much as I did!
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also suggest Hunger Games (I have a hold on them at the library just waiting for them to get returned)

Recently I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire- loved it! I enjoyed it so much better than Girl with Dragon Tattoo cause it got right into it this time.

And I just finished reading The Help, awesome book about Mississippi maids during segregation era.

And now I've started a new series it's mystery set in Ireland and follows a detective who as a child was a part of a missing persons crime. The series is by Tana French and the first book is In The Woods. So far I really like it!
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards