Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

XP: Honeymoon fail.

FI & I were planning an AI caribbean resort, but when it came to book we both got cold feet and couldn't figure out wtf we were going to do to pay for it. It was just too much money for us right now.

It's a complete bummer, but at this time we feel it would be best to opt for a more affordable honeymoon & save the big trip for a time (where there are not a milion other expenses all at once between the wedding, living expenses, etc.) like our anniversary, which we've already promised to do!

Is anyone going or has any been to the Outerbanks for their honeymoon?  I've only been once & stayed in a huge house, so I'm not too familiar with lodging - for anyone that has gone, is there any inparticular that you would recommend?

TIA!

Re: XP: Honeymoon fail.

• Options
    jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're cruise people or not, but what about a short 5 day cruise or something?  You can get them for relatively cheap.  And I know you're getting married during hurricane season, but what about Bermuda?  I've been and its beautiful!  Plus, you can sail out of Baltimore or NNJ and save yourself on airfare.  Just a thought...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good idea Jess - We did a Norwegian Cruise before and it was seriously only $249 per person for 4 nights.  You just have to check their sales.  When a ship is almost full they will run an awesome sale to try to book the remainder of it.  A good website to check for cruises and regular AI's at discounts is cheapcaribbean.com
  • Options
    jessica0602jessica0602 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a suggestion to get you started:

http://tinyurl.com/y9lqodr
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls. I've never actually considered a cruise because as ridiculous as it sounds, I don't like the idea of being on a boat for an extended period of time. I know once you're there it probably doesn't feel like you're even on one though. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hated the idea of a cruise until I did my first cruise.. now I am hooked.  They have SO many activities for you to do, and the boats are normally SO big that you have no idea you are really even on a boat to begin with.. It's more like a floating city.  Also they make stops every day or so and you can get off and explore/go to a beach, etc.. So yeah it's definitely worthwhile!  

Oh and if finances are tight, this is one of the best ways to travel because eveythings included (besides alcohol and gifts of course).  But you can eat 24/7 as much as you want and not worry about getting a dinner bill or having to tip the waiter.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you do something like Jess suggested (ie. Royal Caribbean) there is so much to do the days you are at sea, especially since Bermuda is only one full day at sea each way.  I know we're taking a honeymoon cruise on Royal Caribbean and there is an ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, mini-golf, etc in addition to the normal activities cruises have so there is plenty to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you check out another AI? I know some of them are super expensive, but you can get some really good deals. I just made a suggestion on TN the other day to try Apple Vacations-They often run specials that include everything (airfare, transfer, AI) We just got back from a trip to PuntaCana and absolutely loved it!

Also, because it is hurricane season you may be able to get an even better deal! We went to Jamaica for our one year in October and it was really cheap, the weather was perfect and the resort wasn't that crowded. If you are worried about the weather you could always get trip insurance! Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the cruise option is a great idea.  If you and FI like wine, you could also check out a trip to the Fingerlakes in NY.  It's about four hours from here and has tons of wineries and other activities, like antique flea markets, boat rides on the lakes, etc.  FI and I go up once a year to stock up on wine, and there are tons of cute BnBs you can stay up.  You could go for a long weekend and book a romantic suite at one of the BnBs, or look into renting a cottage on the lake.  It would be beautiful in late summer/early fall.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have gone to the Outer Banks every year since I was born - literally!  It is one of my favorite places in the world, but I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon.  It's more of a place to go with a huge group of people or with family.  There is literally nothing to do but go to the beach and if your wedding is in the Fall, you won't get much beach time.  I'd DEF do the cruise thing.  I know you can find an affordable cruise... Sign up for TravelZoo's Top 20.  You'll get an email weekly with all of their top specials of the week - and a lot of times it's cruise & vacation package specials.  You can do a fantastic trip on a budget.  My fiance and I went to Spain: Barcelona & Madrid for 6 days for $1500 - for both of us!! That includes airfare, hotel, food, transfers, activities!  Do some research and be patient.  You'll find something great!
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Stef, cruises are a lot of fun and very affordable.  FI and I went on a Carnival Cruise last May to Grand Cayman Island, Key West, and Ocho Rios in Jamaica and had a blast!  We're definitely doing another cruise for the HM, probably Western Caribbean and/or Central America.  There was so much to do that we were never bored.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards