Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Bucks Girls

Hi all, 
Anybody  know anything about the Universal Life Church online certificate being enough to allow somebody to marry us? I'm really into having a friend do it, because it's a huge day and I love the idea of it being someone meaningful to us. 
Let me know what you know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Bucks Girls

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm certified. I know in MD I can, but PA is kinda weird. You'd have to check with your county courthouse. Delco I can't, Chesco, I can.

A few of our friends are too. We're getting married in MD- and contemplating having the three of them marry us. Very loosely contemplating, as it may end up like the three stooges.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, yeah. The friend we have in mind is the one who introduced us. He was recently married, so we feel like he understands the concept of "this is not stand-up hour," because otherwise, I'd be worried. Ugghh, PA laws.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is not legal in PA.  You need to e a clergyman with a recognized congregation in order to marry people in PA (or a judge can do it).  Nondenominational officiants in PA are legally incorpoarted as religious clergy, so that's how they swing things.  If you want your friend to marry you, you can apply for a self-uniting license, which is legal, as Quakers do not have religious clergy (they believe that each persona has a direct connection to God) and the couple marries each other as part of the ceremony.  You could then have you friend perform a ceremony, but you would actually be the ones submiting the marriage license - your ceremony would just be for show.

Some counties are getting a bit strict about giving out self-uniting licenses, as the above of use of them is really not what they were intended for.  It can't hurt to call and ask, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bummer. But thanks!!
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you get married at the courthouse in front of a judge the week before the wedding and then have your friend perform the ceremony the day of?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards