Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Conroy Catering & Reception reviews!

So we are looking at a wedding on Memorial Day weekend in 2011.  We have looked at a few places in the Poconos this past weekend but are interested in the Philly area as well.  Around Devon, PA area. 

I'm aware that this can be pricey area but we are looking for a place with great food and flexible people (Fiance's parents are Kosher so we'd need someone to be willing to allow at least a Kosher caterer come in for 5ish people) for under $100/pp.

We are both very laid-back fun people so someone who is similiar personality while still wanting to take care of business would be fantastic.

We are moving from Upstate NY so we aren't too familiar with any places.  Does anyone have any suggestions that can fit our budget & need?

~Also, FI just spoke with Convoy catering today and showed me their site, he really seemed to like the woman he spoke with and said she sounded very willing to work with us around things.  Has anyone heard reviews or been to a wedding there??? (In case you're not sure if you heard of them this might help, ...they have two locations in Philly, & one in New Egypt ,NJ.)

Thanks so much!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Conroy Catering & Reception reviews!

• SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I looked at Conroy early in the process and if I remember correctly, even their least expensive package was over $100/person.  Also, you do not taste YOUR menu at the tasting, but a chef chosen selection of dishes.  It was important to FI that we taste OUR menu.  I'm not sure if this helps. 

Top of the Tower might fit your budget, but they do not have a liquor license  (You can bring in your own, or they can buy it for you and you are charged market price)

• Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, once we heard the price pp at conroy we were thrown off a bit but she said she was very willing to work within our budget which is why i even asked any reviewsbefore we go further.
    I understand they want your party for their income and some will just tell you what you want to hear but when it comes down to the nitty gritty and day of, it's not everything you anticipated. That's what i fear with anyplace we choose unless I have unsolicited reviews.

Thank you!  That's interesting about the tasting, why would you want to try food you don't want on your wedding day.. hmmm.. seems almost like they would only give you either the cheaper food to make, OR the food that is their best tasting so ure not worried the day of.
    hmm... we'll have to think about that

Any other reviews anyone, or of other venues under $100/pp?

We think off the beaten path would be fun too to make our own (not necessarily a "wedding venue" but can be made into one such as a large rest., bar, club, house, winery,orchard,museum,vacant building that could all fall within that budget?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Pics and review of Glen Foerd by Conroy in my bio. I give them an A+++ We also thought we could not afford them, but they were able to work with us. Our wedding was in November, wich was off season so we got a discount. They do not do price pp, they have a revenue you have to meet. We opted to have less people so we could have most of the major upgrades in the package.
  • edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention about the tasting. Yes, you do not get to sample your own menu, but at the tasting they had almost everything they offer(with the exception of the ala cart items wich were not included in package pricing)so we were able to choose wich we wanted to have served. It infact helped us choose our menu.
  • NOV2007NOV2007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was married at GF 2.5 years ago.  I cannot say enough good things about them.    Everything was wonderful.  The food was absolutely amazing.  I miss it.   We did stations, a carving and pasta station.  People are still talking about my reception  The staff is awesome.   You do not have to worry about a thing on your day, they are so attentaive and their attention to detail is top notch.
  • edited December 2011
    Glen Foerd is beautiful.  I've been to a few weddings there.  The food is really good and I love that glass room for dancing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards