Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Thank you gifts for Parents

Our parents have given us a set amount of money to use towards our wedding and we are paying the rest.  I realize traditionally a thank you gift is given to the parents for their contribution to the wedding.  What kinds of gifts have or are you planning on giving your parents as a thank you?  We are paying a considerable amount of money ourselves and are struggling with how much we can really afford to put towards a thank you gift. 

Re: Thank you gifts for Parents

• Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you gifts don't have to be anything overly spendy.  And they don't have to be tied to how much your parents gave.  It's mostly just thanking them for their love and support.  I'm sure they will be happy with whatever you find fits your budget.

For my parents, we paid for a hotel room for them (they were planning on driving home).  We wanted them to enjoy themselves at the wedding.  We also bought them a nice picture frame.  We made them a parent's album later, but that was really a Christmas gift.

For DH's dad, we bought him a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label.  It's always been his "special occasion" drink.  We also bought him a picture frame and did the album later.

• Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We gave each set of parents a wedding photo album that I made myself.  They loved the albums!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got the moms a handkerchief, and made albums for the parents to keep.  If you decide to make an album, you can wait until you get pro pics, and the cost won't hit you until after the wedding (so you don't have to budget it before the wedding).

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it doesn't have to cost a ton and doesn't have to be tied to the amount they contributed to the wedding. We did small parent albums that we ordered through our photog plus a few small trinkets at the rehearsal dinner (embroidered handkerchief for Dad & engraved frame for Mom).

We also took my parents out to dinner a few weeks after the wedding and got ILs a really nice basket of wine and gourmet cheese/meats/crackers from a local winery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got each set of parents an engraved album like this <-- clicky link.

DH's mom especially like the fact that it had the invitation wording on it. We put one of our engagement pics in it as a place holder, then after the wedding let them choose the photo for the frame. Actually, now that I think about it I think my parents still have the e-pic in there!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP... you don't have to break the bank on a gift for your parents.  We're probably giving our parents photo albums that I'll make. 

I also want to knit my FMIL a blanket.  It's a really big project, so it won't be done by the wedding, but she's done so much for us.  And she crochets, so she'll appreciate the work that goes into it.  I just need to get back into knitting.  I'm in a knitting funk.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This was all so helpful, thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I copied off of LadyJ and got those frames too!  Our parents each have one, and I got one for us to keep... it's on our coffee table :)
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dad a GC to omaha steaks, as he's a huge steak lover, and a g/c to a restaurant he'd just never use. He loved it and was able to get some really nice steaks. My parents BBQ'd steaks so much last summer.

For my mom I got the mother/daughter willow tree figure, and a double sided picture frame, one side for a picture of us from the wedding, and the other side I wrote a poem about growing up/how she made me into the woman I am today. she loved it and cried.

You just have to think of things that they may like/mean something to them, and go from there, regardless of how expensive/cheap it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards