Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Cheer Me Up

As a general rule, I try really hard not to talk about things school-related unless they are positive...with my job so tied to the community in which I work you never know who might read this.  However, to speak in general terms, things are just not looking good in my district at the moment.  We are facing a serious budget shortfall (although it's admittedly peanuts compared to Philadelphia) and the cost-cutting mesures being implemented are just not good stuff. Some serious program changes are about to take place next year - it's just not going ot be pretty.  My wonderful wonderful kids have gotten me through all the stress this year so far, but I am inching closer and closer to a point of just bot being able to stay optimistic anymore.  After a 13-hour day spent working and then attending a class I may not see the benefits of due to contractual stuff we are also dealing with right now...I am just feeling stressed and burnt out.  Spring break can't come soon enough. 

I'm so sorry for the ramble...but I am really need of encouragement and some smiles tonight.  My heart aches because I love what I do so dearly, but feel like many external factors are doing all they can to break me down....

Re: Cheer Me Up

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww hugs.As a some day (I hope) teacher, I kind of understand what you are going through.  I know I don't know all the ins and outs, but I have a general idea.  Budget-cuts seem to be a major problem all around and I wish people would understand that.
    Remember you are doing this for the kids and to make a difference for them.  Think of all the lives you have touched so far as a teacher.  You are doing the best you can.  You have a right to be upset with everything going on in your district and it's so much harder because you couldn't even go home and process tonight you had to go to class.
    Keep your head up.

::hugs::

PS Mickey called and says he loves you and is sending magical hugs your way

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One word.. DISNEY!

But seriously.. my mom works in a school and I hear about the politics all the time.  it sucks that thats what teaching has become.  I'm sorry you're dealing with all the red tape budget crap, hopefully things turn out better than they appear to be going.  *hugs*  Like Cassie said, focus on your awesome kids, and your original reasons for choosing this profession and try not to let the BS get you down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :::hugs:::

Teachers have it rough, especially in today's climate.  You are doing a great job, and having a positive impact on these kids lives.  I'm sorry the external factors are affecting how much you enjoy your job.

Enjoy your spring break, you definitely earned it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry but my wedding pics should be making you happy! ;) love your face!
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear.  I hope the best for you!  If you want I have friends coming in Friday night and you can come out with us to get your mind of everything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would totally take you up on that, amy, but we are driving down to DC for a long weekend to get my mind off everything elready :P  Handling stress in  healthy ways has never been my forte, but I am trying so, so hard this year to keep it together.  I'm just having a really hard time tonight.  You think that you've heard the worst and they can't pile anything further on you, and then they find a way.  To be truthful, I saw some of what was revealed to us today coming...but that doesn't take the sting out any.  I give so much of myself to this job...and just when you think you can't give any more, they ask for more. Ask is not even the word - they force you to give more in the name of saving money. I miss the days when I naively pretended this was all about the kids. And try as I might to keep that way at least for myself.. on nights like these it's hard.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    At least you're getting away.  Hopefully that and your spring break helps you relax and get rid of the stress. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I admittedly haven't read everyone's responses, so sorry if this is repetitive.  I'm sorry your job that you love and actually have a passion for is stressing you out.

My only advice is to roll with the punches as much as you can.  Even when things don't seem to make sense.  The more you debate and battle these issues in your head, the more you will be stressed, and that's not necessary when you have little or no control over it.  Budgets are tight, things will be cut, you will be asked to do more, and unfortunately it is what it is.  I 'm not suggesting that you give up on caring--at all-- just that I pray you can accept the things you can not change.

Hopefully in a year or two things will bounce back and go back to normal.
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know we've talked about this before, so all I can say is *hugs*. Just try to remember why you are there, and why you started teaching in the first place. I know it's impossible to do with the politics they through at you, but if it weren't for good teachers like you, some of these kids just wouldn't make it. Just remember you are making a difference in some of these kids lives, and for some, it can be a HUGE difference. There were a few teachers through out my life who I will always remember for one reason or another.
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LRM - screw the district. As a daughter of a teacher, I certainly understand why you're so down (it was nightly chat at dinners my whole life), and as a future teacher I understand even more.

You said it yourself, you love what you do. I'm sure your students see that, and love that they have you as a teacher. Setting the burcracy crap aside is always hard, especially since many districts like to cut teachers, budgets, salaries programs but never seem to cut the administration budgets, salaries, etc. It's all a bunch of bull - and unfortunately teaching never seems to be about the students for the administration of a district...

I'm sure this didn't cheer you up at all, but I'm hoping today is a better day. Try to keep the fact that you are a wonderful teacher for these students and those who have been and have yet to come. They need you. Eff anything else.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    I can't really add anything new to what others have said but keep that chin up lady!  You are a rockin' teacher, and those kids appriciate you! 

::massive bear hug:::
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :(  Sorry you're down in the dumps right now.

My mom's a elementary teacher so I hear about all the stress about budget cuts a lot and feel your pain. Hearing and reading about a lot of schools potentially cutting music and art programs breaks my heart since the music program was such a huge part of my life in school and made such a positive impact on me. So its def hard to hear that a lot of these kids may not have that same opportunity.

Not only the music program, but I had a teacher who was very encouraging to me and someone I grew to look up to a lot and she also made a huge difference every day going to school. So as everyone else mentioned- stay positive and remember that you also make a huge impact on these kids and that's something to be incredibly proud of so hang in there!
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards