Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

*larosita*

So I saw from a post below, and from various other ones, that you (and I think some other ladies) are quite the Disney buff. My honeymoon is coming up and we are doing Disney resort/Disney dream bahama cruise!!

While we’re at Disneyworld we made reservations for La Cellier, California Grill, and Fultons. The only place I have been is Fultons, and I loved that.. But is there anywhere else you would recommend for breakfast/lunch reservations?

And have you ever done the Bahama cruise before? We have reservations for the dolphin swimming adventure at one port, then the open cabana massage at Cast Away Cay. If you have been, and have any recommendations for that, I would be grateful for them Smile

Re: *larosita*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, you are going to love your trip!  We also did our honeymoon as a combo WDW/Disney Cruise (3 days at WDW and a 7-day Western Caribbean on the Magic)and it was terrific. 

California Grill is an awesome choice for a romantic honeymoon meal.  If you are willing to do a really late dinner (like 9-ish or later) they will pump in the music from the Wishes fireworks in the Magic Kingdom and you can watch from either the restauarant or a private deck right off the restaurant.  It's a gorgeous view.  We kicked off our HM with this and it was perfect :)

I have not done Fulton's or LeCellier before, but we'll be going to LeCellier this summer for the first time (pending me getting a reservation next week).  When is your HM?  I can come back with a full report if you want.  ;)

If you are looking for romantic/fun meals, I also loved The San Angel Inn in Mexico at Epcot.  You are inside and the whole restaurant makes it look like dusk - the stars are twinkling and you're in front of an Aztec temple and a volcano the whole time.  The food is awesome.  We're also trying Chefs de France this summer, mainly because Remy from Ratatouille comes around to your table while you dine.  Either of those would make a great lunch destination in Epcot.  The 50's Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios would also be a blast.

Are you interested in the character breakfasts, or just someplace nice to get a leisurely breakfast?  The only times I have done a sit-down breakfast in WDW has been if the characters are there - otherwise, we either bring some cereal bars to eat on the run or grab a bite at the counter-service place in our resort.  Cinderella's Royal Table used to be out-of-this-world, but reservations are now very hard to get and frankly, from what I hear form others it's kind of overrated.  If you're cool with the princeses, the breakfast at Akerhaus in Norway would be awesome, and in terms of a classic character breakfast it's hard to beat Chef Mickey's.  I've also done the buffet at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian, which was a nice combo of chilling with some of the characters and being able to take in the ambience of the hotel.

This will be our first Bahamaian cruise with Disney, so I don't know about the Dolphin swim (althugh we are actually considering it for our Nassau day...either that or the Sea Lion swim!). I will tell you that the cabana messages at CC are SO, SO worth it.  They are a huge splurge, and we are going to aim for a spa splurge on the ship this summer (probably time in one of the spa villas), but every second was worth it for a romantic experience on our honeymoon.  The quiet massage with your sig-o near and the gentle  breeze and the sound of the rolling waves....oh man, it's unbeatable. 

What ship will you be on?  When are you going?  Let me know if I can help out in any other way :)
  • Options
    nks14nks14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ahh just talking Disney makes me so excited!

And we are going soon actually…We leave on March 14th! We are doing WDW for 3 days, and just the 3 night Bahamas cruise.(then universal for 2 days)  I wish the cruise was a day or two longer! But it worked out date wise, and to be honest my FI shot down the idea of the combo trip in the beginning but then I got him to come around to accepting it. He is a bit scared of ships, so we’ll see how this goes haha. But he has certainly become more excited after seeing the ship in real pictures! We booked it when it was only the animation pics etc.

We are saving California Grill for the last night, and we did book it late so we’ll hopefully be able to see the fireworks!!

The San Angel Inn sounds amazing from your description. I think I will have to suggest it to FI for a meal.

I so wish I could get a reservation for the Royal Table!!  That’s like the only character meal I was set on wanting to do, but I’ll check out Akerhaus!

So happy to hear about the cabana massage…I only wish I was there NOW instead of being stuck in this weather J

Thanks for the recs!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did Cinderella's Royal Table whn I was in middle school and it was awesome.  We got to interact with maybe a dozen or more characters - I remember Peter Pan jumping up on one family's table and crowing, it was hilarious.  Now I think they stick to Cindy and a few other random characters...nd the food is apparently NOT good.  I did the Akerhaus breakfast with my family while in college and loved it - although it was all the princesses (and therefore little girls abounded) we had a blast.  Lots of characters, and the food was definitely great.  Based on how things are now, I would say that you would do better at Akerhaus if you wanted a character breakfast and quality mattered...eating at Cindy's these days is more just about bragging rights.

I take your post to mean you will be on the Dream BEFORE I will get to see it, so now I am jealous.  Did you book a blacony room?  A porthole room?  One of the "virutal porthole" rooms inside?  Are you planning to eat at Palo or Remy?
  • Options
    nks14nks14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it sounds like Akerhaus is the way to go then!

And we booked the Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah, and we picked the highest deck possible...i think it was like 9th deck.

What kind of room did you book??

Also, at WDW we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside...have you ever stayed there? if so..any reviews??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't stayed at Port Orleans before, but we were planning to stay there thus summer until I realized that staying at the Dolphin would be a better deal for us (they offer a teacher discount, woot).  My dad has stayed there on business and it's lovely.

We're in an oceanview stateroom with a porthole, which is what we had on the honeymoon.  Right now we're booked "GTY" status, which means we're guaranteed a room in the category we paid for or higher.  Basically, Disney overbooks some of the lower (non-verandah) categories on the ship and then upgrades people to better rooms so that they can offer crazy deals on the cheaper rooms right before the cruise.  We are one of those overbooked people, so while an upgrade isnt guaranteed, I'm hoping for one.

So again - doing Palo or Remy this trip? I'll need a review ;)
  • Options
    nks14nks14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh wow thats awesome about the room deal - I hope you get bumped up!!

I think normally, I would have booked what you did, but seeing as it was my FI first cruise and he is a bit nervous/panicky, it would be good to have the verandah for him to step out in. The club level rooms looked amaaazing. But I wasn't about to spend that much haha.

And sorry! We actually did not end up getting reservations for either, which was so dissapointing! By the time I could make reservations, it was all booked up. Because I had never booked a trip before, we had to wait till 80 days before or something like that. So sad!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't lose hope!  Many reservations are held so that people can book once on-board.  You will have to go as soon as your board the ship, but don't worry - there won't be a mad rush.  You just need to go as soon as you can to ask :) I am not sure where the desk will be on the Dream, but you can find out easily.  (On our HM cruise on the Magic, they had a table set up in the nightclub where most of the adult-only activities were.) We were unabe to get a reservation for brunch in Palo two years ago, but scored on easily at a perfect time once we got on-board.  Additionally, they saw that our dinner at Palo was booked pretty late (like 8:30  or 9) and asked if we wanted to make dinner earlier so we could catch the sun setting from our table. 

You can also check online every few days, as sometimes people cancel reservations.  The DIS Boards are chock-full of people who talk about this stuff all the time. (Speaking of which, if you want to meet some people who will also be on your cruise, there are thread on the DIS Boards for each sailing so that people can arrange meet-ups with one another on-board.  You should check it out - we had a blast and met so many people on our honeymoon that way.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards