Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

help me.....

With finding good dishes for my FI that are LOW in carb. He is now going to have to take insulin and eat very good from now on. I need to also satisfy him, cuz he can eat a lot. So any help anyone has for us, I would appreciate it. ;)

Re: help me.....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Without a lot of thought.... chili, pot pie, soups, casseroles

I'll think some more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, casseroles are ok, but they all have rice and pasta in them.... for the most part. I am trying to limit those. And soups are ok too but he is not a brothy soup person.... this is going to be a challenge. I mean I can give him meat and veggies every night, but that is going to get old, and its not that filling.  I am just glad he is getting help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    google low gi recipies.  Low gi food will digest slower and keep you full longer. It is also good for insulin control.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not to be mean, but he'll have to be a big boy and change his eating habits which may mean he's gonna have to eat things he normally wouldn't and try things he doesn't think he'll like.  You can only make so many things, and he'll have to adjust.

Isn't there low-carb noodles/pasta that you could substitute to make some dishes?  Maybe you can look for Atkins diet books... those recipes should be low/no carb.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, Hil, I know, I just didn't want to do it overnight. I told him he has to make some changes.

JIY- that is a good idea, Low gi, I never thought of that.  And yea it is going to almost be like atkins....

I will check the link also.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This looks good:
    http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/apr01_6.1.htm

Also that website has a lot of recipes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_help-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:9878b69b-e83b-484a-b296-28af28faf21fPost:e0c067bd-9042-4c53-8277-25faeeba1991">Re: help me.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]This looks good: <a href="http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/apr01_6.1.htm" rel='nofollow'>http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes/apr01_6.1.htm</a> Also that website has a lot of recipes. 
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE] I love how it says white bread. Nobody should eat white bread, let alone a diabetic. LOL I might just switch it for ww bread.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you like salmon, this is really good and really easy.  I don't grill the fish, just bake it with salt and pepper (15-20 mins at 350) and top it with the mustard sauce.  Looks fancy and takes very little time.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-salmon-fillet-with-honey-mustard-sauce-recipe/index.html

I usually just serve it with broccoli.  Yum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks but he is not big on fish, at all. :(  SUCKS! Sounds good for me though ;)
  • Options
    LadybugBride3LadybugBride3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know what your going through, FI and I are doing P90x to get in shape for the wedding and trying to follow the diet that goes with it which is low carb.  In the beginning you can only have a single serving of carbs a day.  We had bread, pasta, or rice with dinner every night before this so its been a tough a switch, but here are some tips from what we've been doing

Brown rice is good for you, but I hate it.  I make it with either beef broth or chicken broth instead of water to give it a little more flavor.  Quinoa is a whole grain that you cook just like rice and has a ricey texture.  I cook that with beef or chicken broth too.  Oven baked sweet potato fries are a big hit with FI.  Butternut squah cubed and roasted with a little oil olive sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon is good and very filling. 

Beware of some whole wheat pastas, a lot of them have just as many carbs as regular pasta.  But soba noodles (you can find them at whole foods) are much lower in carbs.  It definately takes some adjustment for your taste buds but you get used to it, especially if you increase the amount of veggies you eat.

image 247 Invited so far!
    image 170 Are ready to party!
    image 35 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are MIA!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My BM's boyfriend takes insulin- I'll find out what she cooks for him...

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How about beans? I make a lot of meals with beans!! Or you can make meat casseroles and leave out the carbs. I have a taco casserole that is just layered with meat, green onions, salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, chilibeans, and cheese ( I may be missing something, this is off the top of my head!). It calls for tortilla chips too but I skip that!  It isn't necessarily low fat, but it is low carbs!

It is hard making low carb meals! Good luck!
    April 2012 Ladies: May Siggy Challenge: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I eat a lot of big, shared salads - garden (lettuce, tomato, avacado, cucumber, pepper, grilled chicken, dressing, parmesan cheese), taco (lettuce, tomato, ground turkey with taco seasoning, salsa, cheese, beans), etc. They're really filling and low carb.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    spaghetti squash - i make it all the time, its fabulous, super filling and virtually no carbs because its a veggie! i heat the spaghetti squash in the microwave for 15-20 min depending on how big. once nuked, cut in half length wise - be careful it will be very hot! scoop out seeds and goop in the middle. i like it well done so i put it in the oven at 475 for another 10 min.you can serve with tomato sauce, or any other sauce like garlic and olive oil. when i want to do a little extra, i make a casserole and scoop the squash after cooking into a casserole dish mix with tomato sauce and top with moz cheese and bake to melt cheese. tastes like a lasagna.

whole foods carries shirataki noodles. they are noodles make out of tofu. delish and a whole bag is 35 calories! check out hungry girl website for great shirataki noodle recipes!

good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks gals, I appreciate all the help.

shirataki  noodles, I have read this today, are they tasty at all? rluber did you eat them ever? I am intrigued about them though.

Spaghetti squash sounds really good too, I really need to make that soon.

Tonight I made turkey burgers and steamed veggies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards