• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
July 2010 Weddings

POLL: Did you regret not having a videographer? Question from a 9/10er

Hi Guys and congratulations!
How is life on the other side?  I can't wait to get there and be in your shoes.

We are having a bit of a discussion on our September 2010 board.
Someone was asking whether anyone regretted not booking a videographer.  I think that it would be better to ask you girlies since you are now experienced married ladies and have the benefit of hindsight.

So did you?

***SLAHSarah***  sorry I had to make a whole new thread to correct the poll
TTC since 2010
Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: POLL: Did you regret not having a videographer? Question from a 9/10er

• I don't regret not having a videographer, but there are things I wish/hope I have on video.

I had asked my friend to ask her boyfriend to video tape the ceremony and toasts, and I thought that was all set, but he didn't end up bringing the video camera. One of FI's family friends said that he took a 12 minute video (so I'm guessing at least the majority of the ceremony, and I am hoping and praying he has the processional), but I haven't seen it yet.

Looking back, I might have rented or borrowed a video camera and designated a close friend or relative to tape important things to us. After the toasts, we would put the camera away and let that person enjoy the rest of our wedding worry free.
  • I wish I would have at least had amatuer video of the mass (the music, the homily, my teenage niece singing the song after communion) and the toasts at the reception and rehearsal. There is iphone video of the best man's speech- but that is about it.   The other thing I wish we did-  and why neither of us thought of this is beyond me... but to record the band from the sound board. Our sound guy and the band both mentioned it afterwards, too!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • I had someone record our first dance, and I took a few random videos throughout the day. That's enough for me.
  • I would like to qualify my "yes" vote- it really was not in our budget to have a videographer, and to be honest I don't know how much we would have watched the video. BUT-- I really wish we had at least had a family member hold up a camcorder during the ceremony. Our pastor said some really beautiful things, but the day was such a freaking blur that I can't remember most of what she said!!! Luckily, I emailed her and she's agreed to give me a copy of the ceremony for us to put in our wedding box. But I still wish we'd had someone recording it. :( Maybe I won't care as much once I get my pro pics back.
    Anniversary
  • WE didnt hire a videographer but one of DH's friends videotaped parts of our wedding and ceremony for us as our gift and I absolutely cant imagine not having that video. Even though it was free and is only a few min long I cherish every minute of it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • i voted "maybe a little..." because i don't regret not getting a videographer, but i DO wish more friends recorded clips on their regular digital cameras! my MOH recorded a few fun dancing clips on her camera, and also recorded our "first look" and it made me want MORE! 

so, professional equipment isn't needed, but tell your friends to record some clips :) it would have been really nice to have the MOH and BM speeches, but i didnt need super awesome quality. 
    jacqui + erik 7.10.10
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    **Planning Bio**

• I'm with everyone else.  So glad I didn't hire a pro, but I love the video my aunt-in-law took of the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception.  It's nice to remeber the Pastor's sermon, re-live your first dance, and see the toasts again.  Sure, it's a little long, but I don't need fancy angles or flying words.  The sentiment is there.

I know I won't watch it a bunch, but I will here and there, and won't it be fun for the kids to see! 
  • One of our family friends videotaped the ceremony. I can't remember if he got anything at the reception (the video is still at my parents house - my dad is trying to make some copies) so I haven't seen it since the day after the wedding. Even though it isn't professional quality it'll still be nice to go back and watch every so often just to relive the day a little.

My advice - if you're not completely sold on the idea of hiring a professional - just get a family member or friend to video the important parts for you. That's really all you need.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• We had no plans on getting one. It wasnt in the budget and i didnt think it was needed. We changed our mind 7 weeks before the wedding and I am SOOO glad we did. They got the most amazing things on camera. they captured stuff I easnt able to see. I def would get one if your able to.
  • We had a friend shoot us and I'm glad we had it.  I don't think I needed a professional video.  I barely wanted to watch the one we had.  H and I were looking at each other like, "You done?"  Ugh.  I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

And... it's newb. lol
  • Actually I'm of the firm believe you SHOULD have a videographer.  About a quarter of my entire budget went to hiring a really good photography and video team.

My friends, FI and I are confessed exhibitionists and video everything.  We are constantly taping ourselves.  They even videoed my surprise engagement!

Anyway, the subject keeps coming up on our board, and someone posted a thread asking if anyone regretted it.   I just thought that you guys were in a much better position to determine whether it was worth it since you were already married.  We are all just speculating at this point.

I'm linking this thread to our board.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re: POLL: Did you regret not having a videographer? Question from a 9/10er:
    [QUOTE] And... it's newb. lol
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]
    hahahaConsidering it's a completely made up word, I'm pretty sure both spellings apply.  However, if you'd like to get technical, Urban Dictionary, clearly the expert in all things, supports 32 PAGES of definition for the word "noob" while "newb" only has 5.
    While I am a "Noob"  on this forum, I'm an Administrator on several.   hahahahaok...retreating to my own board before the tomatoes start flying!
    Will be back to see responses later.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We got a videographer and don't regret the expense at all. We also have 2 non-pro recordings of the ceremony and parts of the reception, but they're definitely amateurish! I'm really glad the videographers were there because I know their clips are going to be awesome :D
  • we didnt get one at all. i also forgot to ask a family member to bring their video camera so as far as i know, not even our ceremony was videotaped. i dont regret not hiring someone, but i do regret a little bit forgetting to ask for the taping of the ceremony. oh well...ill survive :)

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • I am in agreement with most of the ladies on this board.  We did not have a videographer and I don't regret it.  My FIL recorded the church ceremony and some friends got random clips throughout the night.  We love that the ceremony was recorded, but for us it wasn't worth the money to hire a professional since we knew we would rarely watch the video.
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for all the excellent input guys.

The girls on my board are finding your responses to be very helpful.

TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a videographer so I can't really answer the poll but I can say that we do not regret spending the extra money to have one.  We won't get our actual dvd for another 2 or so months but our videographer does little preview videos and I love ours so much! (If you want to see, you can find it here: http://colemanvideography.com/blog/2010/08/04/ben-lisa-wedding-preview/ )  There was just so much going on on our wedding day that there was no way for us to see it all.  There were also great moments that our photographer missed (like our first kiss!  How do you miss the kiss!?!) that we now really look forward to seeing when we get the full dvd.  Not to mention, it could be something nice to one day show our grandchildren.  I am definitely happy that we went with the professionals for our video.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Lisa T's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Books read in 2011: 32 of 75
  • OMG, I love your vid!
    So sweet :)
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards