Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

AI resorts in Cancun

FI and I are considering heading to Cancun in October to one of the AI resorts down there (mostly because there is so much to do outside of the resort).  The pricing is excellent- $1500 (that's everything; air, taxes and gratuity) for a 5 star resort, $1600 for the 6 star.

The three resorts she mentioned were:
Riviera Maya
Riu Playacar
Now Jade/ Now Sapphire

The Now resorts are brand spankin' new, and are the 6 star resorts. 

Can you girls give me some thoughts/experiences with any of these?  Thank you!

Re: AI resorts in Cancun

• Options
    mandy122782mandy122782 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I can't help you, but did you also post this on the honeymoon board? They can probably help too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I just posted this to that board.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard the Riu Palaces are very nice, though I'm not sure every location is the same quality.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just be careful going to Cancun in October. The weather is really hit or miss because of hurricane season. My friend is doing a Sept wedding and for that reason they are going to Cabo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't get any hits here on on HM try TN travel board.

As far as hurricanes just get travel insurance.  Odds are you will get a great cheap vacation, if you don't the insurance pays out, well worth it IMO.  I'm all for travel insurance all the time though, I have several real events which happened.  
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which resort at Rivera Maya? I highly recommend the Excellence Resorts
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She just said Riviera Maya, but she didn't specify which one because she said it was 4 star and I said I wanted 5 or better.

Travel Insurance is $80 total to tack on, so if we go in October and something happens, it pays out.  For that price, I am not going to worry about it like crazy.

And we specifically chose Cancun for two reasons: One, it's safe for tourists (realistically speaking), and it has things to do off resort (the ruins, shopping etc).  I have heard stories of great AI resorts that are on dangerous islands, and you don't dare step foot off the resort because it is so dangerous...which also nixes having other things to do besides sitting on a beach or by a pool all day, which I hatehatehate with a passion (so does FI).  So, I specifically asked about safety and stuff to do, and she recommended Cancun (my mom, who went there on her honeymoon 26 years ago, agreed).

That was why we originally went with Disney, because we wanted something to do besides sit on a beach and drink tons of alcohol (neither of which we are huge fans of).  But, with what she sent me, Cancun seems to offer enough that it would work for us, and for a heck of a lot cheaper than Disney.  Our only other option was Williamsburg (both Fi and I are history buffs).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards