• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
August 2010 Weddings

just another RSVP rant

So we're now a week and a day past our rsvp date, and after calling people we're still waiting on a handful.

Our florist needs a final table count early this week and several other details are waiting on a final count (ordering candy for favors, the floor plan of the room, which will determine where the DJ table will be which will determine what color linen it has, etc).

FI texted one of his friend to find out if she was coming and her response was "I'm trying". Can someone explain to me what the hell that means? I asked him to follow up on that and kindly explain that we need a final count, and he tells me she's the type of person who isn't going to know for sure until the week prior to the wedding. I explained to him all of the details that hinge on the final count and why we need it this early, and it just doesn't seem to make any difference to him. He says even if he tells her we need a final answer now we're not going to get one, but he doesn't exactly give me any idea of what to do with a "maybe". 

I know its hard for some of his friends to attend (because they have to travel from Baltimore to Chicago) but doesn't that make it even more important for them to decide in advance if they can make it?

Sorry, just a vent.

Re: just another RSVP rant

• FI has a friend like that too. He says that he doesn't know yet, and would have to fly from FL to RI.  We're assuming he's not coming, by the time he figures out if he can get off work, the plane tickets are going to be very expensive. 

I know it's very frustrating, good luck!
  • We have a bunch of people like that right now.  annoying.
    August 14, 2010 image *PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • We had the same problem, but then again our rsvp date was a while ago. We planned on having a bunch of stragglers so having the early timeline worked out really well. Almost everyone will be traveling as well so we expected that most folks will need to plan ahead, but you know people, there's always going to be a few that throw you for a loop.

It does reach a point where you can just count them as a no, but anyone that says maybe or "I'm trying" should be counted as a yes. If they come, then you're covered, if not then you have extra. Better to have too much ordered than not enough for everyone.

We got married! Now if we could just remember what happened... Visit The Knot!
    Bio
    Blog & DIY
  • In Response to Re: just another RSVP rant:
    [QUOTE]We had the same problem, but then again our rsvp date was a while ago. We planned on having a bunch of stragglers so having the early timeline worked out really well. Almost everyone will be traveling as well so we expected that most folks will need to plan ahead, but you know people, there's always going to be a few that throw you for a loop. It does reach a point where you can just count them as a no, but anyone that says maybe or "I'm trying" should be counted as a yes. If they come, then you're covered, if not then you have extra. Better to have too much ordered than not enough for everyone.
    Posted by Vegas_2010_Bride[/QUOTE]

I agree.  As of right now, we're counting a few people as 'attending' who have just given  us a verbal decision. 
    I would do as Vegas says and just count her as a 'yes' and move on.  At best, she does come.  At worst, she doesn't and you have one extra.  Who knows, if you count this friend as a 'yes' and then something happens and she doesn't come, you may be surprised that you can call your vendors and tell them you have one less guest.
  • FI and I are having that problem too. A lot of his work buddies won't give him a straight answer. Our caterer needs numbers by the 4th of August, so if they haven't told him before then, they're being counted as no's.
    My Planning Bio/Blog

From Miss P to Mrs. D...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sigh. Yup we're in the same boat, waiting on a handful. argh
  • I am starting to dislike wafflers. I realize that most people have jobs and need to work out their time off in that respect, but when you know about an event a year in advance you'd think that they would attempt to figure it out. :( 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards