• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
August 2010 Weddings

Honeymoon question

Okay, so this might be kind of long, but I'm really in a bit of a dilema here.  FI's dad just offered us up to $2000 to go on a honeymoon after the wedding.  Exciting, but it's been offered so late that flights and resorts I've looked at for when we can go are either: 1) VERY expensive or 2) already booked.  Also, to add to the problem, FI is only off work until August 11th (we get married on the 6th).  I really wanted a Caribbean honeymoon, but the resorts are pretty well booked, and it's not worth going there for 4 days.  I've never been to Myrtle Beach and would like to go, and have found flight tickets and a hotel that isn't insanely expensive, but is it really worth going there for just 4 days? 

Our other option besides taking a 4 day long honeymoon is to have FI go back to work on August 9th, only 3 days after our wedding, and take those vacation days over my Christmas break, which is pretty long since I'm a teacher.  I guess any opinions would be helpful, as FI just tells me, "Whatever you want to do is fine."  Yeah, he can say that because he's on a week-long vacation in Florida right now with the guys while I'm back in IL working and planning our wedding.  Okay, didn't mean to get a little pissed there, but it's kind of a sore subject with me because his days off to go on vacation with the boys are the reason we are getting a 4 day honeymoon.

Re: Honeymoon question

• I say wait, save more $, and take the HM over Christmas break.
  • Yup I say you wait as well and you can really enjoy yourself for a week.
    ~ Planning Bio~
    ~ Married Bio~
    ~ Married August 15, 2010 ~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    All You Need Is Love....
  • I say wait! We are going on our caribbean cruise in December! It gives you more time to plan and you'll be able to take a longer trip!
  • I am also a teacher.  We are taking our HM over christmas break.  It gives me something to look forward to post wedding and it will be nice to get away from the cold midwest winter!
  • I agree, wait and do it later. You're going to be saving money by booking further out
    BabyName Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm with them! Wait and take a longer one at christmas!
  • If you are looking for a cheaper way to spend that $2000 I would say check out cheapcarribean.com  That is the site we used to book our honeymoon and was able to do a 6 night, all inclusive, adding on a snorkeling trip and a city tour, in Puerto Vallarta Mexico for under $2000.  They book vacations for all over the Caribbean and Mexico.  Good luck planning your trip, whenever you decide to go!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should wait til Christmas and save some more to go all out. But, you could still use a little bit of the money to treat yourselves to some things for your time off after the wedding. Maybe stay somewhere away from home (an inexpensive inn) just so you can still feel like you're having a mini honeymoon.
  • reculpreculp member
    10 Comments
    I say definitely wait until Christmas.  Myrtle Beach is ok, but not Honeymoon material, especially if you were wanting the Carribean. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jle625jle625 member
    100 Comments
    We're gonna wait, it was really hard for me to except this but FI doesnt get paid holidays and we really dont have a whole bunch of savings building going on right now. I'd just wait and you may find its cheaper in the off season too.
    Me 29 DH 30 TTC Since 6/2010

BFP#1: 7-5-12 EDD: 3-14-13 Early Loss: 7-13-12

*SA: Good* *CD3 BW: Good* *HSG: All Clear*

DX: Unexplained Infertility

Jan 2013 Clomid 50mg+Trigger+IUI#1=BFN

Feb 2013 Clomid 50mg+Trigger+IUI#2

[IMG]http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae283/jle625/731.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae283/jle625/rustyandbg.jpg[/IMG]

Blog
  • I 2nd the cheapcaribbean.com post.  That's where FI and I book all our vacations through.  We went to The Dominican Republic last year for 8 days for $2k, and we booked our HM through them as well.  I say, use the $2k to do a fab trip in December and truly enjoy your HM.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BFP Chart BFP 10/7/11 EDD 6/20/12 [email protected] 114
  • Go later. 

And I don't blame you for being sore about the vacation with the guys. You seem like me--not tethered together, both pretty cool about giving each other space and time to do what they want. But I'd be having a serious talk with FI if he'd said oh hey I want to go to Virginia for a week to hang with C&P so I'll only be able to take 2 days for the honeymoon. 

And I'd be amazed how FI would fail to realize that this would cause some waves. If the situation were reversed, we'd take a long weekend with the girls, AFTER we made sure we secured our honeymoon days. 

Tell him Pirata says:

Crosswalk
  • In Response to Re: Honeymoon question:
    [QUOTE]I say definitely wait until Christmas.  Myrtle Beach is ok, but not Honeymoon material, especially if you were wanting the Carribean. 
    Posted by reculp[/QUOTE]
    TOTALLY AGREEE--- WAIT and take the longer, nicer one over xmas.Myrtle Beach is NOT honeymoon atmosphere. 
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm with PPs Myrtle Beach is ok and all...but def not honeymoon material. We're doing 5 nights in Jamaica at Couples for $2400 with flights. I'm sure if you wait til peak season is over it gets cheaper.
    My Planning Bio/Blog

From Miss P to Mrs. D...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fi's dad also offered us $2000 for our honeymoon and while we had been planning to wait until later, we decided we really wanted to go right away.  We searched for awhile and ended up with a great deal for almost exactly $2000 going to Los Cabos and we're staying in an all inclusive.  I'm really glad we decided to do it right away!
    August 14, 2010 image *PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • In Response to Re: Honeymoon question:
    [QUOTE]Go later.  And I don't blame you for being sore about the vacation with the guys. You seem like me--not tethered together, both pretty cool about giving each other space and time to do what they want. But I'd be having a serious talk with FI if he'd said oh hey I want to go to Virginia for a week to hang with C&P so I'll only be able to take 2 days for the honeymoon.  And I'd be amazed how FI would fail to realize that this would cause some waves. If the situation were reversed, we'd take a long weekend with the girls, AFTER we made sure we secured our honeymoon days.  Tell him Pirata says:
    Posted by Pirata13[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Thank you for making me feel like a sane person for getting a little upset about his vacation!  He sees it as his last outing with the boys, which I understand, but I thought that's what the bachelor party was for!  And after talking with him, he really wants to go somewhere right after the wedding.  But it just doesn't seem worth it to fly to Cancun or St. Lucia for only 4 days.  Ugh, I don't know what we're going to do, but I feel my first real bridezilla moment coming on any minute.
  • I may be late for my opinion, but I say wait also, and just enjoy the looooong vacay during the winter!  If you, with the days FI has off after the wedding, maybe stay at a cute bed and break for a night, or do some other mini-moon to unwind.  Maybe even just a nice meal out and a massage.  Something to tide you over til December. :-)
    Anniversary
  • rktorkto member
    100 Comments
    it is more fun to go the beach in the winter.
    I say wait.  and the above is a great excuse to tell people.
  • we're also doing a carribean cruise in dec and i think the cold weather at home will make it so much better to get away! plus time to save money and (for me) save more vacation time at work so i can get paid to be away ;-)
  • I say go now.  You never know what life will be like in December... so many things could change!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH diagnosed with Testicular Cancer 8/2010
    Low sperm count. Only option IVF with ICSI
    Starting First cycle Jan/Feb 2012- Canceled due to not responding to BCP and/or Lupron
    IVF 1.2- stims March 14, ER March 24, 16 R 10F 6 made it to blast
    ET March 29- transferred two blasts, 4A and 4BA, froze 4
    Positive HPT 9dp5dt Beta 1- 385 11dp5dt
    u/s April 25- one healthy heartbeat
    EDD 12/12/12

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/1z5rm04.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34rabt2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2wg9p4m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/285ctz.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt167add.aspx[/img][/url]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards