Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Is this a good deal?

So we are going to meet with our photo. soon, and i dont want to get ripped off ! We are looking at this one package ... and the thing is it doesnt include engagement photos or save the dates.... let me know what u girls think ! TIA Undecided

Platinum 2 Wedding Package
bullet1 photographer
bulletProfessional 4x6 wedding proof box containing your original wedding proofs
bulletUnlimited photographs  in time allotted
bulletOriginal unedited images presented on a DVD upon delivery of album
bulletAll images posted on your own personal wedding website at http://perfectday.smugmug.com/weddings
bulletFull day coverage of your event from 2 hours prior to your ceremony until you cut your cake.
bullet1-16x20 or 20x20, and 2-11x11 or 8x10 prints suitable for framing
bullet1 custom **leather bound wedding album filled with 12 pages/24 sides of custom 8x10 prints and/or 5x7 prints
$2250Or $2025WithDigital Proofing

Re: Is this a good deal?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It is.... esp since you get a album.   I think that is a little cheap though.  Like you get what you pay for... but I know I have heard lots of mixed reviews on perfect day...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Really i havent seen any reviews on them... what r some of the bad things if u dont mind me asking
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with B2B that you are getting a good deal because it includes an album. I went with the same photographer as B2B Sharyn Frenkel because for around that price you got 2 photographers instead of one and for me I wanted 2 photographers over an album we may put on a table somewhere and never look at.

It just depends on what you two find important/necessary in a photographer. And also go with your gut! I looked at another photographer that had a great deal including an album and 2 photogs for about the same as Sharyn, but after meeting with them and looking at their pictures I didn't like them as much. So if you feel "ehh" about them then I say explore another option. Good luck a photog is a big check!
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I can't remember. I just think I heard mixed things... I can't remember. I think they are like a 'wedding factory'  they are not great. IMO you can get a better photog.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah my gut i telling me no, but i'll at least meet with them and i guess we will go from there ! Just wanted to see if it were a good price for what they offered. Thanks girls !
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also you can look on Wedding Wire and see reviews of them...I used that site a lot when looking for a photographer and DJ, I thought it was really helpful.
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Diana ill check that out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The thing is it may be a good deal in that it includes a lot, however if you don't like the quality of product they are producing it is no longer worth the money IMHO.  

Or example if you paid $500 for a Mori Lee dress it would be a good deal, if you paid $4000 it would be way over priced since it's polyester.  
    If you paid $1000 for a 100% silk Vera Wang dress it would be a good deal as it was priced at $8000.  

Or is you paid $10 for shoes at Target they are clearly not the same as $100 sale shoes from the Cole Hann outlet.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Ameri's posts from the other day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with NCV in that although for what you get in the package it is a "good deal," personally Perfect Day's business model and style of photography are not my taste.  I also believe that although photography is expensive, you really do get what you pay for.  Every photographer is going to offer packages with albums, print credits, a disc of images, etc. and I feel that a lot of what photographer charge across te board is consistent.  The cost of a pro album from a company like KISS or GraphiStudio or ZookBinders or whatever is going to the be the same no what person is ordering it for you. (I should point out that it doesn't seem to me like the album you get with these guys is a contemporary-style flish-mount album but rather a traditional album with photos matted inside the pages.  If you don't like the look of those style albums, that may also sway you.)

What you are really investing in is the talent and expertise of the specific professional photographer you are hiring, and that is where the price difference lies. You will pay less for a "wedding factory" group of photograhers where they can assign you to someone and replace them at a whim.

Also,  I ran far away from any photographer who had photos with selective color front-and-center in their portfolio, but that's a matter of my personal taste. 

I agree to go with your gut.  If you really do like what they have to offer, who cares what the rest of us think, go for it.  If you think you can do better, come back here and we'll have plenty of other recommends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what PPs have said, go with your gut and make sure you jive with their style.  Also make sure you see a lot of samples, try and see an entire proof book if you can, not just what they are showing as their "best of".

If I was working with this package, I'd ditch the proof box (they will sit in a corner and collect dust forever) and do what I could to get a second shooter.  For me personally, having a second shooter is worth losing something else in the package.  If your photographer is capturing you coming down the aisle, who is getting the look on your groom's face when he sees you?

Also, what is the timeline for your wedding? Is 2 hours prior to ceremony start enough time to get all the photos you want if you are doing all pictures before?   Is the cake cutting the LAST thing at the reception that you'd want pictures of?  For us, that wouldn't have worked.  We did every picture before the wedding and had our ketubah signing before, so we had our photographers start at 4pm for a 7pm wedding.  We also cut our cake toward the late-mid part of the reception, but we had a crowning ceremony for our parents and the groom played a song with the band and that happened AFTER the cake cutting and we would have missed it.  But timing might be something you can work out with them.

Also, in general, make sure you get a complete DVD of all high res images with printing rights. This says "unedited" so just make sure they ARE retouched.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly Perfect Day is just one LITTLE step up above the Pros. I saw them at a bridal show and literally laughed at their samples. For a few hundred dollars more you can go with Sharyn and for just a few hundred more you can go with Marc Anthony. Don't make a decision you will regret years later. Spending a few hundred dollars will make all the difference in the world. Honestly, Marc is truly the best and nobody comes close to him especially for the price he charges. I've researched dozens and found him to be better than most and cheaper than all. What it comes down to is your pictures are going to be there forever. You'll spend $1000 for flowers and $1000 for a DJ. You need to up the budget a bit. Also, 11x14 prints cost about $7 each and the 8x10 album Eric gives actually costs about $200. You're not getting a great deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got a similarly priced package through Foschi Photography in Wilmington, DE.  I was able to negotiate some items in/out of the package I wanted.  They aren't the best, most artsy photographers, but you'll get good photos and quality prints/album/proof book out of it.
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That seems like a good deal but, like pp, it really depends on the quality of work and if it appeals to you.

To help me, I made a spreadsheet and listed our wants and needs and then listed each photog's package and price to really be able to seperate what you are getting for the cost.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here is the "kicker" ... eric from perfectday is my fiance's brother inlaws cousin (hopefully ya followed that) so basically everyone in the family is automatically assuming we are using him... and i have such a BAD feeling about the whole thing. I truly believe we can find better and at a better price, but my fiance i saying we have to go with him because he is already assuming we are going with him and so does everyone else. I dont even think he is going to give us a discount and if he does it probably wont even be worth it ! Such a hard situation....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, its his problem for assuming you are using him (the photog, not your DH).  You should really follow your gut!!  Its YOUR wedding.  My grandfather ran a photography business his whole life and everyone has used the business (now run by his former partner), including my sister.  Her pictures were not the style at all that we were looking for.  So from the get-go we said we were going with another photographer.  Its not worth regretting...they are your wedding photos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's your decision.

Make everyone else happy and end up with crap photos or make yourself happy and pick a real photographer. Eric has ten or so photographers. He books in bulk hence the generic photos. Your call but I suggest standing firm and look elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So what do you do when you don't like something about the pictures?  Or the album or it's taking too long to come in etc?  Complain to your family?  Now it's an awkward family situation.  IMO this is even more reason to stay away.  Oh course it's up to you though.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah , ill at least meet with them and if i dont like what i see or hear then im not going with them. From the website photos...they arent all that great. Thanks for everyones input i appreciate it !
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know I'm just going to repeat what everyone else already said but I would try to steer away.  It's never really good to do business with friends/family.  If you want to stay under budget, I'd recommend my photog Stefani Chung.  However, I haven't gotten my pictures taken yet so I'm going with pics from my friend's wedding for which she shot for free in order to broaden her portfolio.  I can send you more info if you're interested.  My strategy in this whole wedding photog search thing was to find an up and coming and snag them before they get expensive and out of my price range!

• Options
    edited December 2011

I must agree with you and say it is a tough situtation, you do not want to hurt anyone's feelings... BUT my gf got married in August and she just used the same photographer that her SIL used because they were a family friend... Well after she saw what she got... she hates her pictures. They are not artsy... they missed ALOT of pictures, such as her adorable 1 year old son as he walked down the aisle with her mom, there is NOT ONE PICTURE OF HIM! There is no picture of the three of them either. It's little things... Sometimes hurt feelings are better than being unhappy in the end. Remember you will have these pictures forever, and you can never redo it.... Make sure you are 100% happy or you will REGRET it!

I noticed with the album, it seems like the traditional type. Not the contemporary flush mount, "collage" look... If that is what you want then thats okay... Just make sure you read into the little details. Another thing is the proofs do not say EDITTED meaning you are not getting any retouched pictures.

Also is 2 hours prior to your ceremony enough time? I know my photographer arrived at my DH parent's house at 10:30am, then came to my parents' house at 12 and our ceremony wasnt until 2:00pm. I have pictures of both of us getting ready and our sides of the bridal party.... and you have to factor in the travel time from your house to the ceremony.... (ours was a 1/2 hour) so you dont want to lose time due to travel within that two hours. We did our portraits after the ceremony but before the reception because we had a gap and could do that. And do you really not want any pictures after your cake cutting? We did cake cutting basically right after dinner.... We had two photographers.. one stayed until cake and the other stayed all night....

Lastly, two photographers was important to me, if it's not to you, okay. But my second photographer captured alot of our nature expressions, little details and various angles. We loved it!

Pictures last forever.... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards