Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Venue Help - Can't decide between Two Venues

Hi Ladies!

I've also posted this on weddingbee but I thought that the local board here is much more active =)

I am currently undecided between Ballroom at the Ben or Tendenza (Cescaphe's new location). 

here's more details about pros and cons and pics: http://aktionspeakswedding.blogspot.com/

Any inputs??

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Re: Venue Help - Can't decide between Two Venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow the Tendenza looks so modern and nice!! Tough choice.  I can see your dilemma. But as far as getting married in March, I am, and it is actually on purpose because of budget.  :)   Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't say enough good things about Cescaphes staff and how well they treat you the night of the wedding, as well as how all inclusive their pricing is.  I looked at both the Ben and Curtis Center and felt Cescaphe included way more than Finley did. 

PS - How much is Cescaphe charging per head for tedenza?  
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've said this before and I know it wasn't a popular statement with some of the Knotties here, but I think it;s a valid point for choosing a location. 

Personally I would not want my guests driving through the ghetto to get to my wedding reception. I know some might be offended and say that Northern Liberties is an up and coming neighborhood - blah blah blah. Your guests still have to come and go via Girard Avenue or Spring Garden Street and the surrounding neighborhoods are filled with lots of downtrodden or abandoned warehouses and homes. It might be safe because they have built new condos and there are lots of bars and the bowling alley close by, but I still don't want my guests in fear of getting car jacked when they leave.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is Tedenza in NoLibs?  I thought it was going to be off of Market somewhere in the city.

Edit:  Just looked it up.  Okay .. so it's near the ballroom.  One of the main reasons we chose the Atrium was the service of Cescaphe but the location of 6th and Walnut (and walkable proximity to hotels).   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Cescaphe Ballroom and have been very pleased with the intereactions I've had so far. I also looked at the Ben, and like Ooodsie said, you get way more for your money with Cescaphe.

As far as the ghetto thing... my mom felt more uncomfortable near the Ben because there are also boarded up stores, people loitering along the streets, etc. there.  With Cescaphe they offer valet parking so there's no need to fear car-jacking there. With the Ben however, the guests park themselves in a garage across the street.

Personally, I vote Cescaphe, but then again, I'm biased :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    According to Cescaphe's website, it looks to be a few blocks from the Ballroom on N 2nd St.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel ya Angel esp when I know the B&G is paying a shiit ton of cash money.  

How about the Curtis Center?  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Tendenza because I have only been to Cescaphe's  events in the past and have never been to the Ben so I have no opinion on it.

BUT now that I read you blog (yes I am backwards) That $10 per person adds up and if it is going to strap you I would go for the less expensive venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!

I would absolutely love to get married at the Curtis Center but unfortunately, it is out of my price range (I was told $165/person).  My budget is $125/person inclusive and Ballroom at the Ben meets that but it must be done before the end of March.  Tendenza is $135/person which is over budget but we aren't limited in terms of timeline and it is only $10/more person.  I was also thinking that if I begged, they might bring the price down to meet BatB? 

We saw the northern liberties area and didn't feel that intimidated about it...but then again, we don't live in Philadelphia (we live in DC) so we're not too familiar with what's "ghetto" there and what isn't.  IT is only two blocks from the Cescaphe Ballroom.  

gosh, i didn't realize this would be such a tough choice! 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_venue-cant-decide-between-two-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:b731037d-b5c3-4615-8846-1e44a5e68d5fPost:483bbc3c-8dc9-4fb2-bfe7-82e8aa2d3d10">Re: Venue Help - Can't decide between Two Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married at Cescaphe Ballroom and have been very pleased with the intereactions I've had so far. I also looked at the Ben, and like Ooodsie said, you get way more for your money with Cescaphe. As far as the ghetto thing... my mom felt more uncomfortable near the Ben because there are also boarded up stores, people loitering along the streets, etc. there.  With Cescaphe they offer valet parking so there's no need to fear car-jacking there. With the Ben however, the guests park themselves in a garage across the street. Personally, I vote Cescaphe, but then again, I'm biased :)
    Posted by kira&jake[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, of course nobody is going to car jack them right in front of the hall. DUH! To get to the Ben most people will have to drive down Sansom St. and then north on 9th. So your mom was intimidate more by "jeweler's row" than Front and Girard? You need to go tot Cescaphe again and check out the access roads one more time. Second street doesn't look that bad because of the new condos, but just a few blocks away are some pretty nasty looking crack houses.</div><div>
    </div><div>BTW - the Ben does have valet parking and for those who don't want it there is a huge guarded parking lot across the street for Jefferson Hospital.

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_venue-cant-decide-between-two-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:b731037d-b5c3-4615-8846-1e44a5e68d5fPost:d418aa57-3fbb-4939-8310-7353cda51967">Re: Venue Help - Can't decide between Two Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW - the Ben does have valet parking and for those who don't want it there is a huge guarded parking lot across the street for Jefferson Hospital.
    Posted by angel33284[/QUOTE]

::shrugs:: When we looked last year, they told us they didn't do valet. Perhaps they do now, or we were misinformed.

I've been to Cescaphe a few times now and nothing about the trip has bothered me. But I've been living in Baltimore for the past 5 years, so maybe I'm just used to it.
  • Options
    laurAndJerlaurAndJer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Cescaphe Ballroom. I visited Ballroom at the Ben as well. I think they are both great and I have heard wonderful things about both venues. I really think you can't go wrong with your decision. That is how i felt.

I chose Cescaphe because the venue is so well kept and seems to be geared towards weddings. Of course, you lose the whole historical feel of the Ben. I'm trying to think what really pushed me towards Cescaphe and I think it's pretty much that I felt like everything would be taken care of for me. I am from Philly but don't live there now so I wanted to go with whatever felt like less work.

As for the area, Cescaphe has valet parking so I don't really think that is a concern. I am pretty confident that everyone will be safe. I didn't even think about that when deciding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I met with the folks at the Ben 2 years ago they said they didnt have valet at the time, and instead they rented out a lot down the street for people to park in, but might be changing that in the future.  So I guess they have now?  I think that's why there are varied responses about valet there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Tendenza - you really can't touch the service that Cescaphe provides as well as what they include for the price.  But I'm a biased Cescaphe bride = )

Yeah the neighborhood looks a bit rough, but it's fine.  We had our wedding at the ballroom in May and didn't have a single problem.  They wouldn't be booked for nearly 2 years solid if they had issues with their location, trust me.
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LadybugBride3LadybugBride3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I wouldnt be too concerned about the neighborhood around Cescaphe.  I was a guest at a wedding there over the summer and we actually walked from the church in old city to cescaphe, after stopping off at a bar on the way in between the two.  There was a big group that we walked with and I didnt have any safety concerns.

I've never been to a wedding at the BATB but Ive been to events at the Crystal Tea Room (they have the same caterer), and I was blown away by the weddings at Cescaphe.

image 247 Invited so far!
    image 170 Are ready to party!
    image 35 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are MIA!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ballroom at the Ben did not mention valet to us when we visited this past saturday.

Oodsie - I noticed that you got married at a Catholic church.  Could you please comment on the new thread I started?  Thanks!

I really appreciate everyone's input.  Still undecided but hopefully will decide on something by the end of the month after we go to Tendenza's open house
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that anyone is in danger in the Cescaphe area, jut that it doesn't look very appealing and some of the guests might feel a little anxious driving thru it. Especially if they are aware of the double murder that happened last year half a block from where the Tendenza is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is Tendenzas open house for the public, or just recent brides who have inquired?  I am curious to see the venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    murders happen all over the city it don't matter what the neighborhood appears to look like!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oodsie- I think it's only open for brides that have signed a contract?  I won't know for sure until tomorrow when their offices open again.  Also, do you mind telling me how much you paid at the curtis center per person?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     They don't do discounts unfortunately.  The only thing they did do was lower the minimum of 200 for us since we booked last minute and it helped us with the overall cost since we only had 150.  
  • Options
    Linz2041Linz2041 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for Tendenza because I just booked it and am so excited!  From what I've heard, the open house is for brides and grooms that currently have a hold on a date.  I've also heard that the price is going to go up once it officially opens, so I'd book now if you're leaning towards it.  I believe their first real wedding is in January.

We were blown away by a wedding we went to at the Atrium - the food, service and ambience. Unfortunately we couldn't afford their prices there or meet the minimum, so we were thrilled to learn about Tendenza.  It's so unique and everything looks like it's going to be really nice. I think the fact that it's new and the Cescaphe reputation really sets it apart.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_venue-cant-decide-between-two-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:b731037d-b5c3-4615-8846-1e44a5e68d5fPost:719a2845-97e1-4b95-a5e3-cd0508b89223">Re: Venue Help - Can't decide between Two Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted for Tendenza because I just booked it and am so excited!  From what I've heard, the open house is for brides and grooms that currently have a hold on a date.  I've also heard that the price is going to go up once it officially opens, so I'd book now if you're leaning towards it.  I believe their first real wedding is in January. We were blown away by a wedding we went to at the Atrium - the food, service and ambience. Unfortunately we couldn't afford their prices there or meet the minimum, so we were thrilled to learn about Tendenza.  It's so unique and everything looks like it's going to be really nice. I think the fact that it's new and the Cescaphe reputation really sets it apart.
    Posted by Linz2041[/QUOTE]

Linz! so you're going to be a tendenza bride?  I was really hoping I'd find someone here that was already booked to get married there.  If you don't mind, could you please tell me what size wedding you're going to have?  My fiance is really worried that it won't fit our size (180-200) comfortably.  Also, did you look at the Ben?
  • Options
    Linz2041Linz2041 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes!  We're probably going to be between 160 and 170.  Are you planning to go to the open house?

I didn't look at the Ben because it was out of our price range. Tendenza was so nice because everything was included in the price.  Makes it a lot easier!

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HI! Just wanted to let you all know that I've picked Tendenza...well 98% there!  I put a hold on a date and will be going to the open house in two weeks with the fiance.  Hopefully, he is conviced that it will comfortably fit all of our guests!  At the end of the day, it was the flexibility on date that pushed our decision.  I put a hold for May 5, 2012 =)

Thank you for all your input!
  • Options
    AngiePie17AngiePie17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I also booked Tendenza for next year- 11/12/2011 :)  I am really anxious to see the venue at the open house next week!  I am also concerned that it won't be big enough to hold all of our guests.  They told us when we booked that it was a maximum of 240 and we're expecting 225.  My dad keeps reminding me that they can't tell you that it's going to hold 240 if it's not going to!  But I'm still scared... It's too late in the game at this point to be looking for another venue for that date! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  Another Tendenza bride!  Did you already sign the contract?  We are waiting until after the open house.  I guess I'll see you there!
  • Options
    AngiePie17AngiePie17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I booked it already :)  I will be at the open house on Sunday, so I may see you there!  Can't wait to see it all finished.  I'm sure it's going to be amazing!!
  • Options
    trishfh06trishfh06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its totally not in the ghetto.  it is in a really nice section...there are parts of northern liberties that are "up and coming"  but where tendenza is located is in a great area.  no offense, but anyone coming in from lancaster seeing any part of the city might think that it is all "up and coming" or all the ghetto.  just a thought!

go with tendenza...it is AMAZING!
  • Options
    trishfh06trishfh06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its totally not in the ghetto.  it is in a really nice section...there are parts of northern liberties that are "up and coming"  but where tendenza is located is in a great area.  no offense, but anyone coming in from lancaster seeing any part of the city might think that it is all "up and coming" or all the ghetto.  just a thought!

go with tendenza...it is AMAZING!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards