Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Holiday Poll

Good morning everyone :-). With only 12 days until Christmas I thought this was fitting.

1. How many people do you have left to buy for?
2. What is your favorite thing you bought someone?
3. What is one thing you asked for you are really hoping to get?
4. What do you do Christmas Eve?
5. What do you do Christmas Day?
6. What is one tradition you used to do as kids, that you are going to continue when you have kids/that you continue because you have kids?
7. What age did you find out the bad news?

Re: Holiday Poll

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One... my brother.  I already know what I'm getting him, I just need to actually buy it.

I got H a coin bank for about $10, since I bought it 2 weeks ago, he's already mentioned needing something for his change at least twice LOL

Gift cards to go shopping.  My wardrobe needs some serious updating.

Stay in with family.  This year we'll be at my parents' house.

With my family, we open gifts (after my bro finally gets his butt out of bed), have some lunch, then have dinner with extended family.  Sometimes see friends at night if we're not stuffed and tired.

6. What is one tradition you used to do as kids, that you are going to continue when you have kids/that you continue because you have kids?
    Open a few gifts, but wait until the grandparents come over to open the rest.  Grandparents really get joy out of watching kids open gifts!

Not sure specifically what age... my brother and I were super nosey and listened for our parents to put out the gifts, then would sneak downstairs in the middle of the night to check it out and look in our stockings.
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    little nephew, godparents and stocking stuffers for DH

I always make a calendar on snapfish for my godparents and they love it. And I bought my sister a 'Friends' (tv show) sweatshirt, mug and Central perk Magnet bc we're obsessed with that show and I know she'll love them

a mac....and we got it- on Saturday :)

My parents started the tradition when we were little of taking us to seeing a movie during the day to keep us occupied and happy- so we still do that :) And then we go to church and then have Christmas with my godparents. It's my favorite tradition
    open stockings/presents in the morning, make breakfast, play with our new toys, and then have Christmas dinner with my Dad's massive side of the family. We do a Chinese Auction type gift thing which is always hilarious
    the movie during the day on xmas eve, as well as the Godparents tradition. I think it's a great way to add something special to the whole Christmas weekend
    What news? ;)
    haha I was actually pretty old considering I had an older sister....I would say I held on until about 6th grade....
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    2 people left.  my dad and my FMIL
    I bought FI a new pair of Oakley's, he has absolutely no idea. 
    nikon d5000
    always went out to dinner with my parents and their friends.  however, this year will be the first year i am spending it with FI's family.
    always my parents house.  now seeing FI's parents in the morning then dinner at my parents.
    baking cookies & decorating the outside of our house
    second grade i think
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
      FIL and that's it.  But what do you get the man that has nothing and wants nothing?

My niece Skylar's rocking horse.  I"m sooo excited to give it to her.  She's only a year old, so she' probably not really going to appriciate it yet.  Also, her brother, Owen,  is getting a Buzz Lightyear from us.  He's 3, and I think he's going to love it.

[Edit]  I just remembered my ILs are getting me a GPS and I'm so excited I could hump a couch.

When I was a kid, we used to go to church and then drive around looking at Christmas lights.  JEGs and I don't really have any traditions yet, so I'm hoping to start one this year.  (READ:  I am going to be looking at everyone else's answers for ideas)

We do Christmas breakfast at his parents house in Wagontown, and then drive to Langhorne for dinner at my parents house.

I think maybe driving around looking at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve.  I really do love that.

I'm pretty sure my a-hole brothers told me when I was like 6.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    Jesster:  About 10 years ago, my mom started making us go to the movies on Christmas day to get us out of her hair. 

I'm bummed because I cannot partake in this anymore since I have to go to my ILs during the day.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to finish up my sister and my dad - which stinks b/c I thought I was done...
    I am getting my mom a weekend away. NF is having their tasting on Jan. 30th so we're inviting my mom to come and stay the weekend with us, which will consist of a day at the spa and dinner at Minado, with the tasting the next day. She needs a break, and since she won't take one or give it to herself, FI and I wanted to do that for her.
    I didn't really ask for anything....
    We go to church with my grandfather. If we go to an earlier service we usually sit by the fire, but since my pop pop is hosting Christmas, we'll probably have the fire on Christmas.
    We'll wake up open gifts with my immediate family, then go to my pop pop's and open gifts and have xmas dinner there. We may go to my dad's side
    Santa never wrapped gifts...it was always so exciting and such a sensory overload coming down the stairs Christmas morning. First we'd see the stockings, then my mom strategically placed the cookies and carrots (for santa and the reindeer) next so we could see the letter Santa wrote (aka my mom writing with her left hand). And then would be the tree with all of Santa's presents in sections (I have two younger sisters) so it had to be divided.
    I'm pretty sure I was 10. I don't think my dad would have let me go into middle school still believing. My younger sister was only 5 at the time, and so it had to be done carefully and when I was at an age that I could still pretend that Santa was around. We had to keep it up until my youngest sister was 10. I honestly can't wait to "believe" in him again when I have kids.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    My brother and my dad.  I know what I'm getting my dad, I just need to order it online. 
    I got my little nephew a cars backpack with a sleeping back inside.  Also the ornaments that I got my nieces and nephew.  I get the an ornament with their birthday picture on it every year. 
    I really need clothes.
    We go over my grandfather's (my mom's dad) and have homemade pasta and fish.  When I was younger we would go to my great aunt's but after my mom's cousins all had kids it was just too much. 
    Now that we are older we go over to my older brother's house and watch my niece and nephew open presents.  After we come home and my younger brother and I open gifts and my dad makes breakfast.  My dad's family will come over for dinner. 
    My parents got us a new ornament every year.  I think I might get them the ones with their picture and the date.  Also Christmas morning we could open our stocking before our grandparents came over in the morning.  If we move back to Pittsburgh I would continue that. 
    I'm not exactly sure when I found out.  I think maybe 4th grade?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm done! DH still has to get things for his brother and mom, which I will probably end up picking up.

My brother and I got my parents a TV for the family room. We're very excited to welcome them into the 21st Century and the world of HD.

I don't even know! Isn't that sad? I desperately need some new work clothes, so my mom and I are going out shopping on Wednesday. Sadly I pretty much know everything I'm getting!

This year we're going to be with DH's family -- we'll go to an afternoon service at their church and then go out to dinner. We'll then spend the night at their house...

... wake up at the ILs', do presents with them, and then leave (no later than 9:30 a.m.) to go to my parents' house. We'll do breakfast with my family, then do presents there. My parents are having the big meal in the early evening and we're having some friends over for that!

Watching White Christmas! Dad always made us watch it on Christmas Eve, and even though it's corny, it's so adorable!

I honestly don't remember, but I loved how my parents had me be in on the "secret" for my little brother.
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With my family, we keep the Christmas Story marathon on TBS on pretty much all day on Christmas. 
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    My sister, my FSIL, and 4 cousins.

I got my little cousin a Little People Ride On car.  It is pink and purple, and is decorated with princesses.  I kind of enjoy that it is a random car decorated with girly stuff.

A new hair dryer.  Mine is dying.

I spend it at my parents' house.  Mom makes a few fish dishes and some pasta (we're Italian.  It's practically mandatory).  We usually open 1 gift that we pick out.  Sometimes we go to Mass on Christmas Eve, sometimes we go Christmas Day.

If we didn't go to Mass on Christmas Eve, we go on Christmas Day.  We open our stockings and our presents, and get dressed up to go to my cousins' house in Staten Island.  All of the family gets together, and we spend the day eating.  We exchange presents with our cousins too (small things, but it's still fun).

My parents get an ornament each year with the year on it.  A lot of times we get them from places we visit.  (For example, the 2010 ornament was from Wyoming).  We also used to have "elves" visit us a few days prior to Christmas, and leave little things in our stocking (a piece of candy, matchbox car, a Barbie outfit).  It was awesome, because it led up to the excitement of Christmas.

Maybe 3rd grade?  But I kept up the secret because I had a little brother and sister.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just one!!!  My best friend's daughter, who just so happens to be my FG.
    Either the steal I got on a GPS for Gzilla... or Amazing Grace perfume for my MOH. 
    kate spade's new perfume Twirl.  I'm obsessed.  It's the only thing that I asked for.
    Okay.  It changes every year.... but THIS YEAR we're going to my dad's for dinner.  Christmas lasagna!!  Normally we go to church with Gzilla's parents, but we want to go to our church for Christmas, and they don't have Christmas Eve mass.
    Christmas MORNING we're going to mass with my brother, sister, and mom (and Gzilla's mom) then we're going back to my house to exchange gifts.  THEN we're going to my dad's family's for dinner.  Then Gzilla and i are hightailing it out of there early and going to the movies with friends :)
    My brother, sister, and I used to have a movie marathon Christmas Eve and then we finished it on Christmas Morning: Muppet Family Christmas, Smurf Christmas Special, The Christmas Toy, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and then this Garfield movie.  And it had all the awesome late 80s commercials.  But my mom taped over them by accident.. and i'm still trying to replace all those movies.
    I was 7.  It was at this girl's birthday party... she told everyone at her birthday party.  Her birthday is in mid December, so she says "I can prove it.  Go home and look in your parents closet.  That's where all the presents are."  And sure enough...that's where all the presents were.  I wasn't too upset though...the more I thought about it, the more it made sense that there was no Santa.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_holiday-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:b7b96fba-7c53-4659-9288-95b88cd2728fPost:dfb835b8-5999-4a15-a4e6-25d656896c1f">Re: Holiday Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]With my family, we keep the Christmas Story marathon on TBS on pretty much all day on Christmas. 
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

same here!!! haha
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MH--I've never seen Christmas Story.  And at this point.... everyone tells me OMG YOU HAVE TO SEE THAT MOVIE, so I have absolutely no desire to see it.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well my hubs never saw it either, and now he gets annoyed that we watch it all day.  He thinks its funny the first time, then it gets old.  He only has one day a year to suffer through it though.  Me, my dad and my brother will watch it over and over laughing.  We're dorks.
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_holiday-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:b7b96fba-7c53-4659-9288-95b88cd2728fPost:a9b101ec-b7ac-4155-b125-9d65397debfd">Re: Holiday Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE] 7. What age did you find out the bad news? I was 7.  It was at this girl's birthday party... she told everyone at her birthday party.  Her birthday is in mid December, so she says "I can prove it.  Go home and look in your parents closet.  That's where all the presents are."  And sure enough...that's where all the presents were.  I wasn't too upset though...the more I thought about it, the more it made sense that there was no Santa.
    Posted by RecoveringActor[/QUOTE]

This story makes me sad!!!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    We also have a Christmas Story on all day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had this as my desktop pic at work for weeks!  Seriously.

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    I can't find a good picture, but I love when the little boy has all of his snow gear on and they can't keep his arms down. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too, have it on for the full 24 hours. Can't say I've ever seen it beginning to end in one sitting, but in pieces I must have seen the movie 50 times.

Zero :-).

I got my nephews pillow pets, they are adorable

I guess just gift cards, I don't really want much this year.

My FIL has a big party every year, me and SIL do most of the prep there during the day.

Travel to a family members house, it always changes. But we spend it with family.

We were aloud to open our stockings before my mom and dad got up, but couldn't unwrap the presents until they came down. I plan on doing the same for my kids.

I half figured it out myself. I really wanted an orange christmas eve, my mom said we didn't have any. Christmas morning there was an orange in my stocking, and a bag of half full oranges on the kitchen table. Also, the presents from Santa and the presents from mom and dad were in the same wrapping paper. My brother is 9 years older then me... so by me I guess they got tired and didn't think as much about it. Kindergarden I think. I asked my brother, hey I noticed the above.. he said want to know the truth? I said yes, and so he told me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LadyJ--I know it sounds really sad, but I was a very logical kid.  I played along for another 2 years, and then my mom sat me down and had "the conversation" with me when I was 9.  I pretended like I was sad, because I didn't want her to know that this girl told me 2 years earlier.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    cfblechmancfblechman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought I was done. But then FILs bought us a new tv at the outlets this weekend. So now we need/want to do something really nice for them. O and we need to send something to FSIL/her husband so that they dont have to bring it back on the plane after New Years.

I got my mother a dutch oven for like 33 bucks at Macys! and this weekend I got my sister a digital photoframe for like 55! Both will love them and they were super cheap!

I really would love a smart phone but I dont think thats happening.

Day is usually spent wrapping any last presents or seeing friends. Usually we go to Christmas Eve mass around 5ish to see the kids one. Then come home where Dad has gone out and picked up Chinese food for us! O and open any non-immediate family presents. Its really nice that FI's fam isnt that big on Christmas as long as they see each other sometime, cause I love Christmas with my family.

Wake up around 9ish and open presents. Find the pickle. then late brunch usually waffles. and play with all the new toys/gadgets and watch tv.

Both giving one or two oranaments each year cause that way when they move out and have their own tree the first year its not bare. (Its the first year I have had my own tree and its so much fun to see all my oranaments on it!) and also finding the pickle cause its a fun tradition and who doesnt like extra presents!

I figured it out around 8. I think. Really it was cause I figured out their was no Easter Bunny and then went from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 139 Invited so far!
    image 79 Are ready to party!
    image 60 Will be missing out!
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Quite a few actually. My dad, two of FI's sisters & his niece. Yikes...

My brother and I chipped in at bought my mom a new digital camera. I'm so excited to give it to her :-)

Boots from Aldo. I can't wait to get them!

Usually just hang out with my family but this year we are having Christmas Eve dinner at FI's sister's house.

This year, waking up early and having breakfast with FI's family. Then heading to my house to open presents and we are having dinner at my parents house also.

We always opened our stockings first :-)

I'm actually not sure how old I was but I figured it out on my own and just asked my Dad one day and he told me the truth.
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cfblechman - yes!!! The Pickle!! I'm so glad someone else does this

This is def a favorite of mine ;)  DH, BIL and I seriously race every year to see who can find it first.  That's def a favorite tradition of mine
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ummm regarding #7 -  What bad news!???   ;-(
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone!!  I only bought  part of my nieces presents in Jamiaca.  Got them bracelets and our new baby niece a piggy bank there.  I still want to get them more so the total number including DH is 8.  I'm thinking of just giving my parents a framed family picture from the wedding.  We don't have a family picture and I know my mom really wants one.
    I'll let you know next week.
    Stuff from our registry.  I mentioned the DH that we should start a family cell phone plan, so I'm hoping he'll buy me an IPhone, but I doubt he got the hint.
    Go to my aunt and uncles house, then off to DH's parents house.  Then we hang out at his friends Christmas party for a while.  Then home to play Santa!
    Church, ILs house and then my parents house.
    Baking cookies for Santa and putting out cocoa and of course, carrots for the reindeer :)
    I was probably about 8 or 9.  A friend of mine was over and her mom was talking to my mom in the kitchen.  I guess she didn't realize I was paying attention.  Her husband had just left her and she was telling my mom how money was tight and she was thinking of "breaking the santa news" to her kids b/c she didn't want to let them down not being able to afford everything Santa could bring.  I was crushed.  It was at that time when I started to doubt that there was a Santa and she confirmed it for me.  If she hadn't said that, I probably would have believed a little longer.  It just makes the season more magical to believe. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards