• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

How long does it take for the marriage certificate to come back?

I know there are plenty of places that won't allow me to change my name until we have our marriage certificate. For those of you that are already married, how long did it take for your certificate to come back. Did you have to pick it up, or was it mailed to you?

Thanks!
shadimossad

Re: How long does it take for the marriage certificate to come back?

• I think it would depend on your county and state. I got married 5 days ago and am waiting for the county to turn my license into a certificate so I can get a certified copy of it.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • In NJ, you apply for the license, then you wait 3 days to pick it up.  Then you turn it over to your officiant prior to the wedding ceremony so he can fill out the areas he's required to fill out ahead of time.  All we have left of it is the pink copy (it was a triplicate form), but it's totally legal.  Like Mrs JG2Be said, every state is different, so you have to check it out for yourself.
  • I live in Upstate NY and it took about 2 weeks to come in the mail.
    dinnerparty3moey1321
  • In MN it took us 1 week to get ours back from the day we got married
  • I talked to the person we got our marriage license from, because I had this concern, in Missouri, you can get a certified copy the day we turn ours in, so instead of having our officiant do it for us, we're just having him fill in what he needs to, then taking it the next week to get this done.
    BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 1/16/13:7dpo Progesterone blood draw, low progesterone/weak ovulation, 50mg Clomid CD5-9 Baseline u/s on 2/4 showed I ovulated about an hour before my appointment! IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!! BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • depends when it gets sent out... my priest said he would send it out the tuesday after the wedding.... ya well ...he didnt... im pretty mad... i called the place i got the license and asked them why its taking so long, they said they didnt get it yet. called the priest he said he thought he sent it out~ im like thanks.... so now i have to wait.. again :( i want to finish all this already and try and get a new passport before we decide to go anywhere.

but orignially he said wait 2 weeks.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • I live in Oklahoma and it took us about a week to get it in the mail.

• In PA, the official license showed up in the mail about 10 days after the wedding.  We had a temp version given to us by the officiant right after the wedding.  I was told that you could use that at the DMV if needed.
    TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got married 9/11 in upstate NY and we just got back from the honeymoon last night and found our certificate had come in the mail while we were gone! I was surprised at how quick it came to us, we were told it would take about two weeks!
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt152345.aspx[/img][/url]
  • In NC you go get the license, you give it to the officiant at the ceremony and he sends it in to the county clerk or whatever. Our copies were in the mailbox when we got back from the wedding, 8 days prior.
  • In Response to Re: How long does it take for the marriage certificate to come back?:
    [QUOTE]In NJ, you apply for the license, then you wait 3 days to pick it up.  Then you turn it over to your officiant prior to the wedding ceremony so he can fill out the areas he's required to fill out ahead of time.  All we have left of it is the pink copy (it was a triplicate form), but it's totally legal.  Like Mrs JG2Be said, every state is different, so you have to check it out for yourself.
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

I live in NJ, can I use this pink form to change my name or do I have to wait until copy is available?
    Thanks!!!!Ashley
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards