• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

NWR-food

girls, tell me some of your favorite HEALTHY recipes that your fiance will also eat (aka, does not necessarily TASTE healthy).  I am making my shopping list for next week and need ideas!  Thanks!
 (i already have: grilled fish, bbq chicken, caprese sandwiches, bruschetta pasta with tomatoes from my garden!)

Re: NWR-food

• Healthy style nachos!

Baked tositos (or you can use white tortilla chips just watch the serving size)
    taco seasoning
    1 lb. of lean ground beef or turkey
    reduced fat shredded cheese (mexican style)
    1 can of olives
    1 can of black beans or refried beans (you can use fat free beans if you like)
    1 can of jalapenos (you can omit these if needed)
    any other taco fixin's you like.

Follow the directions on the taco seasoning packet to brown the beef or turkey.
    Heat up beans
    Spread chips onto plate, then add your taco seasoning/meat mix, beans, cheese and other fixings. I put the cheese on top and then either nuke in microwave for 20 seconds or until cheese is melted or if you want to use the oven, put nachos and fixings on a cookie sheet and heat in oven until cheese is melted.

If I think of more, I'll let you know.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • My FI eats pretty healthy.  We eat a lot of tacos and burgers made with ground turkey.  Veggie kabobs with bell peppers, onions, summer squash.  Chicken cacciatore (sp?) I make myself - chicken, bell peppers, & onions stir fried with olive oil, add your favorite pasta sauce.  Serve with some whole wheat pasta.  Pork chops on the grill, or pan fried.  Pork tenderloin with various glazes.  I make a pretty mean chicken pot pie that is pretty light too (use reduced fat crescent rolls for the top, and campbell's healthy selections cream of celery soup for sauce).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 183 Invited image 99 Confirmed image 84 Regrets RSVP Date: August 20th
  • We eat sushi 3 nites a week! Or I make grilled chicken with fresh steamed veggies
  • Wow, sushi 3 nights a week, that must get expensive!  I love sushi, but I just can't afford it that often!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    veggie burgers! We made a TON a few weeks ago and just froze the patties to pull out for a quick meal. Didn't follow any recipes, but we made it from from a variety of shredded veggies, a bean and rice pilaf mix and then added some plain soda crackers to suck up some of the moisture. For a little more flavor, we added in some fresh garlic and cumin and maybe something else? Grilled on the bbq and they came out quite tasty! (Of course we still splurg every now and then and top them with peper jack cheese... mmm)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re: NWR-food:
    [QUOTE]Wow, sushi 3 nights a week, that must get expensive!  I love sushi, but I just can't afford it that often!
    Posted by LauraM737[/QUOTE]

Laura
    Are local grocery store in florida has it so its roughly 10 bucks a nite for two things, and edmonde.
  • Easiest thing in the world and it's SO delicious...

Grilled chicken breasts - let them marinate for about 15minutes (more time is better) with a bit of crushed garlic and generous shaking of Montreal STEAK seasoning.  You cannot believe how good and easy this is.

TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok, not too bad.  I'm a sushi snob, though.  I don't even like the stuff from Whole Foods.  Whenever I get it, it ends up being around $50 for two of us!  Even the whole foods stuff is like $10 a roll.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i love sushi.  back in CA, there were at least 6 sushi places in my town.  the one closest to my house was the BEST but it was at LEAST $14/roll.  A lot of money, but always worth it because it was so much better than everywhere else.
  • You can also do stirfry's which you can make healthy by adding chicken, shrimp, lean beef or pork and using brown rice (or small portion of white rice).
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • Baked Ziti.  I use ground turkey and low-fat mozarella.  Fi, actually everyone loves it.  Hmm...actually this sounds good for dinner tonight.  I may just have to make it.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • We usually do a lot of ground turkey, switched to turkey bacon (the oscar meyer's kind) and started buying the diet lean ground beef, we also eat a lot of chicken and fish and eggs!

We also love sushi, and luckily a great sushi place just opened up 20 minutes from us, and they are excellent!  Hard to find a good tasting sushi place in Missouri, esp. for FI since he's originally from san francisco!
    BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 1/16/13:7dpo Progesterone blood draw, low progesterone/weak ovulation, 50mg Clomid CD5-9 Baseline u/s on 2/4 showed I ovulated about an hour before my appointment! IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!! BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Watch the Oscar Mayer turkey bacon - same cals and cals from fat as regular Oscar Mayer bacon and higher in sodium!
  • In Response to Re: NWR-food:
    [QUOTE]Baked Ziti.  I use ground turkey and low-fat mozarella.  Fi, actually everyone loves it.  Hmm...actually this sounds good for dinner tonight.  I may just have to make it.
    Posted by debdebdol[/QUOTE]

ding ding ding!  and we have a winner!  perfect :)
    (unless it is too hot to cook this...::scurries to check the ten day forecast::)
  • Lemon Parmesan Chicken ( FI LOVES this)
     1/4 cup breadcrumbs
     3 tbsp parmesan cheese
     1 tbsp parsley flakes
     3 chicken breasts
     1/2 cup margarine (melted)
     1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley in bowl. Dip chicken in crumb mixture. Coat both sides and place in baking dish. Melt margarine, stir in lemon juice. Drizzle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. 

This is really good. The chicken turns out so juicy. I usually use a little extra lemon juice. You can always use fat-free parm. chz and fat-free or low-fat marg.

We also eat a lot of stirfry with chicken. 

Those are two of FI favorite "healthier" meals that I can actually get him to eat. 
    HTH. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards