Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Those who own a house

How many houses did you look at before you put an offer in on one?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Those who own a house

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are picky, so we looked at about 100.

Here are the extremes out of all my clients though to give you a range:
    Most houses ever looked at - me, with 100
    Least - one guy bought the first house I showed him
    Average - around 8-10 houses
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG, like a million. We couldn't decide on an area, so we looked at every available house in like 3 counties. If you have a set county/city, then it shouldn't be too bad though. It also took us like 4-6 mo of looking before the right one came on the market. Also depends on how much time you have before you need to move, I guess.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also didn't have a specific city/county, so we looked all over. We drove by about 50 houses, but only had our agent set up visits for about a dozen.

If I could do it all over again, I'd find two or three towns I really liked and then concentrate on only those areas.

Also, no house is going to be perfect. Figure out what's most important to you, find houses with those aspects, and know that you can change a lot.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI bought our house end of 07 beginning of 08. We just started dating Aug 07 so I had little say in the house hunting since well I wasn't paying for it!

He looked at a couple houses around his parents neighborhood and a few houses in the neighborhood we are in now. I guess maybe 8 total?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are about 3 towns we are looking in. We've looked at everything within our budget online. Our REA took us out to look at 6 of them this past weekend. We are going back to look at one of them again this weekend.  If we still like it as much as we did the first time, do you think it would be jumping the gun to put an offer in?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow I'm so different than all of you!  We looked at 10.  We went looked for one day only (a Saturday).... and the first house we saw, we fell in love with.  7 houses were uninhabitable, and 2 were OKAY but we didn't love them.  It was new construction, and I would have had the same cabinets that I had in my crappy apartment in college as well as fake wood floors.

That Wednesday, our realtor called us and said that someone else made an offer on the first house.  And I said "But that's MY HOUSE."  After that, we talked about it for a solid 6 hours...and decided to put a bid on it.  Our offer was accepted the next day. 

We also had a very clear idea of what we wanted.  Our price range didn't have a ton of houses in it that we wanted to live in. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's fine. If you love it, then you should get it. If you're still worried, ask your agent to take you to a couple others before/after your second visit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just make sure that the offer is pending inspection. Might look perfect but have a horrible foundation or termite damage or some other nightmare that you wouldn't want to deal with. Other than that, if it has everything you want, then do it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we might have looked at around 15 to 20 in person... it is hard to remember.

I do feel that when it is right, you know... I knew right away it was the house for us and luckily, we got it and it was in good shape.

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
    Yes, we plan on making the offer pending inpsection.
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at a ton (drove by) but actually went in I want to say 15. The last time we looked was a saturday, and there were 4. I fell in love with one, we put in an offer, and after a week of counters, ours was accepted. Before that we found one we liked a lot, and ended up losing it in a bidding war. We thought we'd never find a house we liked again, and ended up liking the one we are in so much more.

Just figure out what you "must have" and what you would "like" and try to find as much as you can in your price point. If you really love a house and have looked at others, go for it. you know what you are looking for, and if it's the right price, that's fantastic. Just do what PP said and get it pending inspection.
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I lost count.  We looked for months and then finally put and offer on a house.  They said no and that they'd only be willing to take the asking price.  While we were considering it, we found another house we liked better.  We withdrew the offer on the first house and put and offer on the second. 

After some negotiations, we came to agreement on the second house.  We got through the inspection with no problems.  Then came the appraisal.  It appraised for 15k under the contract price.  The seller said he couldn't move on the price at all and had no additional funds to help even make up the difference (not that we were willing to give in much money at all).

We decided we were done looking until after the wedding.  But, of course I didn't stop looking at MLS listings.  Only a few days later we found the third house.  It was just listed on Wednesday, we saw it on Saturday and by Monday we had a contract.  And it was smooth sailing from there!

Overall, I think we looked from November 09 to July 10 and finally settled in August.  It was the most frustrating experience.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When we looked last year, I think we looked (actually went into) about 60.  But, to be fair, our price range was such that we weren't discounting anything- we looked at any houses that came available in our required areas/zip codes.

Of couse, after the inspection which went wonderful, while under contract, we heard back that stupid FHA changed rules and we didn't qualify for the amount we were told.

The kicker?  The house we settled on purchasing was the second house we looked at 3 months before.  I still get down thinking about it- if we had bought then instead of waiting, we would be in a house and not in an apartment.  DH keeps telling me it's okay, everthing happens for good, and I keep reminding myself that.  If we had bought then, we would have been stuck in that house- and now DH and I qualify for more than we did then, so hopefully with the housing market the way it is, we will get into a better house than before.

I would say you are in no way jumping the gun.  If you are good with it, go for it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's true when people say "you'll know" when you find the house for you.. so if you feel strongly about it, put an offer in.  Don't feel like you *have* look at more just because other people do.  Everyone is different. 
  • Options
    mandy122782mandy122782 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at about 12. We put an offer in for a house and lost it to someone with a better offer. That house had only been on the market for three days. Then we found the house we bought and that was only on the market for a week. We were the only bid on that house though. SO if you love a house, then I would say put an offer in because even in the not so great housing market, you can still lose a house to someone else. If you have any doubts, then I would say wait and look at more house to make sure its "the one". Good Luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked at around 50 houses.  We started looking intially to get an idea of what we wanted and to see what we could get in our price range.  Ironically enough, it is one of the houses we saw on our FIRST day out.  DH loved it but I wasn't so sure, since we saw a house earlier in the day that I really liked (which went under contract with a few days of us seeing it).  Looking back and comparing the two houses, I am SO much happier we are moving into the house we selected! it is going to be a beautiful home for us and I def got the "feeling" after going back a second, third etc time before making the inital offer.

We are actually a week away from closing! It has not been an easy process but I can't wait until we have the keys and can say it is ours!
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also ended up buying the very first house we saw. We looked at 10-ish others after it to just "make sure", but couldn't get this one out of our heads. When it's the right house, you just know it.
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>
    Most houses ever looked at - me, with 100
    Least - one guy bought the first house I showed him
    Average - around 8-10 houses<<

..and then she met Justin and Amy, who may drive her crazy ;)
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we looked at a bunch of houses and ended up picking out every little thing we didn't like about each one that we saw.  Funny enough, we ended up with a new construction house and picked it sight unseen because they didn't have a model home or anything.  All we had to go by was a floor plan.  I suppose that because there wasn't an actual house we could go visit, we didn't have a chance to criticize it! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Kagkiki - Congrats!!!

• Options
    TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I had a date with our REA, he called me that morning and told me that both houses cancelled the appointmet. I was so upset and went onlie expanded my search and price. I found about 8 - 10 new house I liked. That afternoon fi and I rove around the neighborhood and knoced all but 2 houses off the list. 1 house was in a neighborhood that had 3 houses for sale, the 2nd house was not far but also newer consturction and most likely the samee buyer. I made an appointment with my REA for the following Sat. We said this is it. It had everything we wanted. We went on vacation that upcoming week and told our REA to tell the agent we are interested but on vacaion. when we got back the house was having an open house so I went again with my friend who is in construction just for a different set of eyes and I put in an offer later that week. So I basically only went out once with my REA and found my house and both my fi and I are pretty picky people.
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just one because it was such a good deal and it fell in our laps. we weren't expecting to buy a house. we had looked at some online to just to get a feel for the market and what we could afford and we knew we were getting a great deal so we didn't look anywhere else 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had pretty much the worst luck in finding a place. It took us over a year and half to find a place. My FI was looking when we had been dating for about a year and he couldnt really pull the trigger on anything, thankfully. I got laid off and stopped looking for about 8 months. Then we started looking in Fishtown an put offers in on like 5 places and something always happened (outbid, foreclosure stuff with the bank didnt work out, termites, etc). We were beginning to think we would never fin a house but we finally did! And just a week before the $8000 tax credit expired. So it was perfect timing. But all and all we looked at over 100 places.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards