• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

Think you're spending too much on your wedding?

$600K in tents, $15K toilets - estimated $3-$5 million budget
Chelsea's wedding

Must be nice
TTC since 2010
Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding?

• Even if I had all of that money I would not be going overboard like that. I am such a tightwad and have to use coupons for everything lol
  • Ah. Well. At least they're spending the money wisely.

wtf.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Ridiculous.  It's ONE DAY people.  ONE DAY.  Obviously the Clintons have money to burn but seriously, in case they haven't noticed, the ecomony isn't doing so well at the moment.  How does a 5 million dollar wedding look right now to a family that is struggling just to keep a low income job and food on the table?  Especially for a family so connected to the political spotlight, this probably wasn't the smartest way to approach this wedding.  Hillary I thought would know better than this.  I mean, the Today Show?  Come on. 
    "Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding?:
    [QUOTE]Ridiculous.  It's ONE DAY people.  ONE DAY.  Obviously the Clintons have money to burn but seriously, in case they haven't noticed, the ecomony isn't doing so well at the moment.  How does a 5 million dollar wedding look right now to a family that is struggling just to keep a low income job and food on the table?  Especially for a family so connected to the political spotlight, this probably wasn't the smartest way to approach this wedding.  Hillary I thought would know better than this.  I mean, the Today Show?  Come on. 
    Posted by citygirl17[/QUOTE]

At least the money they are spending will be trickling down to the farmers that grew the food, the wait staff, all  the vendors they used, all the service people...
    I don't think that it's irresponsible in that light at all.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • WTH are 'high-class toilets'?  Seats rimmed in gold?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • “It’s going to be very understated, elegant, but befitting a royal wedding for the U.S.,” wedding planner Claudia Hanlin said on TODAY.

Um, WHAT?  Understated is hardly the word I would use for an $11k wedding cake, $250k worth of bridal jewelry and $600k worth of glassed-in tents with A/C.
    Vacation

Vacation
    [QUOTE]WTH are 'high-class toilets'?  Seats rimmed in gold?
    Posted by SusieQ1981[/QUOTE]

Hah.  I was thinking the same thing.  For that price, they better wipe my azz for me!
    Vacation

Vacation
  • That is insane!
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : At least the money they are spending will be trickling down to the farmers that grew the food, the wait staff, all  the vendors they used, all the service people... I don't think that it's irresponsible in that light at all.
    Posted by diablesse[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if they viewed the wedding this way - that they're helping the economy in some way by keeping a handful of vendors in business.  Not convinced this is what compelled them to spend 5 million though.  Still seems just a tad overkill to me lol.

I don't know.  I just think it's irresponsible in the sense that the public is not going to view any kind of reckless spending in a positive light right now.  I think they might just want to get their names in the news. 
    "Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]WTH are 'high-class toilets'?  Seats rimmed in gold?
    Posted by SusieQ1981[/QUOTE]
    hahahahahhaGood one!
    I'll say this though.  My one two stall toilet is costing $800 for 100 guests.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited July 2010

That's just gross.  Her toilet budget is almost twice my overall budget!

• I saw this on TMZ or something, it was like a full functioning bathroom that's portable!
    BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 1/16/13:7dpo Progesterone blood draw, low progesterone/weak ovulation, 50mg Clomid CD5-9 Baseline u/s on 2/4 showed I ovulated about an hour before my appointment! IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!! BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding?:
    [QUOTE]I saw this on TMZ or something, it was like a full functioning bathroom that's portable!
    Posted by shellb1978[/QUOTE]
    That's what mine is.   It's a mobile trailer with two stalls.  It has AC and plumbing and a sink with running water and lights.  It looks like someone's home's bathroom when you're inside.  I'll put down bathroom mats and add towels and  baskets etc.
    http://www.mrbobs.com/index.php/portable-toilets/just-like-home-portable-toilet/
    I really didn't want the heavy traffic blocking up the sewage system and i couldn't bare the idea of regular port-o-potties.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am having gold-plated toilets at my reception. What's so wrong with it?

I am also buying each of my guests a Ferrari as a favor.

NBD.
  • this makes me even more depress.  mostly from jealousy--while i think it is completely irresponsible and unnecessary, i do wish i had the chance to have the wedding of my dreams without worrying about budget (which would still probably cost less than $50K.)
  • This makes me die.  I was just looking at my credit card statement and my eyes bugged out of my head - the little stuff really adds up ($235.30 this month on WR incidentals?!).  It irks me that I'm budgeting for favors, table numbers, and thank you cards when people are wasting money like that on ridiculousness (ridiculosity?).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    [QUOTE]this makes me even more depress.  mostly from jealousy--while i think it is completely irresponsible and unnecessary, i do wish i had the chance to have the wedding of my dreams without worrying about budget (which would still probably cost less than $50K.)
    Posted by shauni27[/QUOTE]

Freaking amen. Money gods, we're not asking for much! I could have pulled off the most lavish, beautiful, personalized affair anyone in my or FI's family had ever seen for probably $15-20k. It makes me wish we'd had a longer engagement; I've been scrambling for pennies since April. Will always wonder what more could have been done if I'd had more time to save some money and more than 5 months to pull it all together.

My boss is planning his daughter's wedding for Oct 30th - their budget started at like $75K and has worked its way up to 90-ish. It's probably going to be $100k wedding when it's all said and done.

It all just makes me sick.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Ladies with short engagements:  it doesn't matter how long you're engaged.  I've been engaged almost 18 months and it is STILL effing expensive!
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : Freaking amen. Money gods, we're not asking for much! I could have pulled off the most lavish, beautiful, personalized affair anyone in my or FI's family had ever seen for probably $15-20k. 
    Posted by rien713[/QUOTE]
    ummm...you would think right?Maybe it's the geographic region?  Maybe I'm just doing a really shitty job at planning but I'm having trouble stretching my budget.
    Gimme $100K and then we'll talk. hahahaI'm awful.  I know.
    Wishful thinking.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Shauni I totally agree, but as my friend always tells me to bring me back down to earth, money doesn't imply class. Or, in this case, a great wedding.

Our weddings will be beautiful because we worked/saved/ and put your tears/sweat/love into the entire process. It will mean all the more on the Big Day to say you put everything you had into it!
  • $11,000 on a cake?!?!?! A F*cking cake?! These people are crazy.

That "understated" comment just pissed me off! That lady must be off her rocker!

[URL=http://tinyurl.com/codlr5]My Bio [/URL]
  • Cleo7Cleo7 member
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments
    In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : Freaking amen. Money gods, we're not asking for much! I could have pulled off the most lavish, beautiful, personalized affair anyone in my or FI's family had ever seen for probably $15-20k. It makes me wish we'd had a longer engagement; I've been scrambling for pennies since April. Will always wonder what more could have been done if I'd had more time to save some money and more than 5 months to pull it all together. My boss is planning his daughter's wedding for Oct 30th - their budget started at like $75K and has worked its way up to 90-ish. It's probably going to be $100k wedding when it's all said and done. It all just makes me sick.

I've been wondering this too (not related to the Clinton monstrosity)...my logic at the time was "oh, if we don't drag out the planning over a year or more, it forces us to focus on what it most important..." which, I guess it has.  but I do catch myself wondering from time to time what we would/could have done differently (better?) if we had waited until next year. 
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you think Chelsea has done anything DIY for her wedding? LOL.

Yea $3-$5 million for a wedding is crazy ridiculous. I really hope this is her one and only wedding.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • hahahaha I'd like to spend an "understated" $500,000 on flowers!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]Do you think Chelsea has done anything DIY for her wedding? LOL. Yea $3-$5 million for a wedding is crazy ridiculous. I really hope this is her one and only wedding.
    Posted by MrsJG2Be[/QUOTE]
    Of course she did some stuff herself!I bet she talked to the wedding planner herself at least once and she probably did the dress fitting too.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : ummm...you would think right? Maybe it's the geographic region?  Maybe I'm just doing a really shitty job at planning but I'm having trouble stretching my budget. Gimme $100K and then we'll talk. hahaha I'm awful.  I know. Wishful thinking.

LOL touché - I think it does have a lot to do with region. I could have done a one-stop-shop at any local wedding venues, they would have taken care of everything from cake to flowers to bar (basically just would have had to dress myself) starting at $10K.

FI gave me $3k when we got engaged and wished me the best of luck with the planning, lol. I think he felt sorry for me after one of my panic attacks because he put another $1500 in the account on top of that. So he basically threw in his contribution to the budget right off the bat and I've been supplementing with each paycheck.

Wow that's off-topic. Anyhoo, yes, I could probably pull off a faux-platinum wedding in Houston for $20k. I think - I have no idea where I'm at anymore - what has actually been spent/marked for spending is hanging in around $8K right now.

There's much to be said for overall cost of living etc in the NE vs the Gulf coast. Things do tend to be cheaper down here. Just not cheap enough for me! :)
    BabyName Ticker
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:  FI gave me $3k when we got engaged and wished me the best of luck with the planning, lol. I think he felt sorry for me after one of my panic attacks because he put another $1500 in the account on top of that. 

JEALOUS.  gerren has so far paid for some postage ($25) and gave me $200 at another point.  the rest has been coming from all of MY paychecks.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : Of course she did some stuff herself! I bet she talked to the wedding planner herself at least once and she probably did the dress fitting too.
    Perhaps, do you think she tasted the cake at any point too? ;)
    I wonder how much is going towards security including extra secret service agents...hhhmmmm. I would also think that she hired someone to write her thank you notes for gifts.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • *cringe* Ouch.

FI's definitely the breadwinner. It helps offset my peanuts-y income.
    BabyName Ticker
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think you're spending too much on your wedding? : Perhaps, do you think she tasted the cake at any point too? ;) I wonder how much is going towards security including extra secret service agents...hhhmmmm. I would also think that she hired someone to write her thank you notes for gifts.
    Posted by MrsJG2Be[/QUOTE]
    Sadly I think we are paying for her guards.   That wouldn't have been tallied in the wedding budget.
    I believe the Clintons were the last family to get secret service for all family members for life.
    TTC since 2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards