Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

*MH*

I got an email from my mother today.....admitting she was WRONG about something.  I almost fell over. Thought you'd appreciate that! hehe  How are things going with your mother?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *MH*

• edited December 2011
    At least you got it in writing!  haha. 

Things are ok with my mom.  I think we've had 3x as many discussions about how she will look (dress, jewelry, makeup, etc) than we have had about me... you know, the BRIDE.  Its whatever though.  Oh, and she also wants to add a few songs for the DJ that no one will know.  I told her they won't be played unless she promises to dance, which she did, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm almost there though.  Only 30-something more days and then I'm free from all these stupid wedding related conversations!
  • edited December 2011
    What songs does she want to add? Will you actually have the DJ play them?

Thank god its not just my mother.  I tried to tell her that I scheduled a hair trial and she cut me off to tell me when she was thinking of scheduling HER hair and makeup trial.  I started to tell her about shoes, and she cut me off to go on and on about finding comfortable shoes to match her custom gown that she's ordered.

She tried to tell me that the mother and father of the bride are traditionally lifted up in the chairs for the hora at weddings.  I put my foot down about that one.  I'm still counting my blessings that they opted not to go to our honeymoon location for their post-wedding vacation as they had wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    She wants to play some country song called Proud of the House We Built, or something like that, and a James Taylor song that is supposedly her and my dad's wedding song.  I just learned of this at 28 years old, and have no idea what song it is.  They never mentioned or played "their song" in the house.  I dont get it.

That is soooo good for you that your parents aren't vacationing at the same location as your honeymoon.  That would be very wierd.

How does your FI handle all of this?  Does he take a backseat or jump in?  I know you guys haven't been together for forever, so I'm just wondering if he's comfortable enough to challenge/disagree with your mom.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you doing an anniversary dance?  Maybe you could use their song for that and have that be her tribute/moment?

He is handling things really well. I do shield him from a bit of the crazy, but he and my parents get along really well. He says he loves my mom's "enthusiasm" and only gets upset when I start to get too stressed or upset.  He's been a good sounding board for me.  But he does put his foot down when he really feels he needs to.  My mother wanted his parents to remove some of their "plus ones" and he said he wouldn't ask them to do that.  So he is choosing his battles too.  His family has their own set of issues that they present, so that creates a lot of stress for him...how they are, how they interact with us, with my parents, etc.  He's just worried its going to affect our relationship, which I keep promising him it won't. 
  • edited December 2011
    The good thing is that once the wedding is over, hopefully things will all go back to "normal" and there will be less stress and frustration.  I think weddings make people (family) crazy because of all the money invested, and everyone wanting to shine and feel important.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely!! Though I a little bit dread the post-wedding conversations which will be about sending thank you cards (until they are sent) and then having grandchildren, oy.
  • edited December 2011
    I just googled my parents' song and I actually recognize it.  Its James Taylor's Your Smiling Face.  Whew.  Dodged a bullet there... not too bad.  The other song is still bad in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards