Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

How would you...

Describe your childhood?  Who were you?  What were you interested in?  How were you with friends?

Re: How would you...

• Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was incredibly shy as a kid but had a big imagination. (like entertain myself with a giant box for hours)  My best friends were my parents friends kids-- so 3 boys which would explain why like all my friends are guys now and my sister.  We played ninja turtles, capture the flag, cpos and robbers, etc.
    I played a lot of soccer- travel, club, school soccer.... also did gymnastics.
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a girly girl until I started to dress myself then I dressed more "tom boy ish" from about 10-13 then girly again! I loved to play sports (basketball, softball).. I had two best friends, who grew up across the street from me.. They were the same age as me and my sister so it was perfect. I grew up on the street where there were 6 families that were super close... and there were a TON of kids.. We always were outside and playing... using our imagination... Playing school, queens/princesses (dont ask), house.. as well as flashlight tag, dodgeball, kickball, etc. I loved my childhood.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Socially, my childhood was weird.  I went to a small Catholic school (I'm not Catholic) where everyone was in everyone else's business.  I had a good group of friends through 8th grade, then we all split up and went to different high schools.

High school was torture.  I went to an all girls school for 2 years an hated it.  I was super athletic which was not a priority at the school, so I ran around playing in outside leagues that were very competitive.  I didn't fit in at this school because I wasn't overly dramatic and girly.  An incident happened where pretty much all of my friends at this HS turned on me for pretty much no reason and it was a HUGE deal because some of them I knew from grade school so it was just a ton of drama.  It was them all v. me.

I transferred schools my Jr. year into another school where I was late to the party and there were a bunch of cliques that I didn't fit into.  I was happy with the sports there, but I didn't fit in with the jocks because they were all partiers and I was not.  I was pretty smart, but I didn't fit in with the smart kids because I played sports.  So I basically was a loner who had friendly relationships with a lot of people, but no real friends at this school.

In college I met a lot of people who (gasp!) were like me!  Yay!  To this day, I have a lot of close friends from grade school, but most of them are guys.  The only girls I consider close friends are from college because all my childhood friends majorly f*cked me over at some point or another.

As far as family, we've always been ok but definitely not super close.  Extended family only show up at holidays, so I feel like they don't really know ME.  I always say that my friends are my real family which upsets my mom, but it is what it is.  I love love love the friends that I have, but unfortunately I don't live near any of them.  Boo.

Sorry so long!  Geez!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My childhood was insanely sheltered. I almost always had straight A's, was forced to listen to oldies stations until I was twelve, (no pop music for me... so I missed out on all of the good grunge music) I was a terrible dresser, completely in love with BSC books & reading of all types...

I was a good girl, except when I 'disobeyed'. Quotation marks because it usually meant I would ride my bike all over Ridley Park instead of staying in the 3 block max that she gave me. I was a huge tomboy- I played street hockey with the 7 other guys in the neighborhood. (there were only two other girls, and when I moved around the block, we kinda stopped talking) I was a kick ass hockey player, (on roller skates, mind you, not roller blades)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was born and grew up in a small province in the Philippines until I was 11.  We were pretty isolated from the city and didn't have telephone wires up until before I left to come here.  We had a yearly trip to Manila (the big city) around Christmas time to pick our Christmas outfits and that was pretty much the extent of "shopping" for us. I grew up there playing outside ALOT with neighborhood kids until we were called in to have dinner. I also grew up around poverty but I didn't know what that really meant until I got to the US. 

When I came here, I of course was a bit of an outsider (I came here in 6th grade).  I had a bully in school because I did well in Math class.  I also felt insecure because it's not in our culture to "shave" our legs so I was walking around with hairly legs.  High school was a bit better but I still didn't have that many friends but I pretty much joined any and every after school activities they had since I liked keeping busy.  Science Olympiad, ModelUN, Youth in government, student govt, yearbook, newspaper...you name it, I joined it! lol.  I even started my own ping pong club in hs.  Ok...i was the Uber dork!  Around junior year, I finally broke out of my shell and started making lots of friends and even more when I got to college. All of the friends I have now are ones that I made in college and a few after. 

I always did point my tendency to sometimes be "frugal" from my childhood experiences in the Philippines.  I grew up not needing alot and was perfectly fine with that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was always a big nerd (still am).

I've been super girly and somewhat prissy my whole life. I've always been big on reading and liked school (straight A's) My parents were pretty strict and I'm thankful for that today. I didn't get away with much and I learned that if I wanted something, I'd have to work/pay for it. My sister is less than 2 years younger than me and we've gone through ups and downs together and spurts of being best friends and worst enemies. Right now, we're best friends.

I was never a part of the "In Crowd" but always had a pretty large group of friends. Generally, I think I get along better with guys than girls. Today, I have a relatively small group of really close friends and am sometimes bummed that I don't have a big circle of lady friends. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My childhood was... interesting.  My best friend moved to Florida when I was 10, and I tried to find other friends, but they turned on me.  I wouldn't smoke with them... so instead they started harassing me, barking at me (nice, right?) and calling me some really mean things.  They even vandalized a house and wrote my name all over it.  Luckily, there was a witness who saw the girls and I didn't get into any trouble.

In high school... I was very into theatre. 90% of my friends were in the drama club, but I was really shy.  And the class 2 years ahead of me had a LOT of talent, so I didn't really do anything aside from chorus until my junior year.  It didn't help my self esteem that a bunch of people came up to me and said "So what are you going to do for the musicals now that all of the talented people graduated?"  Then we did Wizard of Oz (I was Dorothy), oversold by 100 tickets every night, and every body shut their face :)

I only talk to one person from high school on a regular basis.  I thought I was close with a group of girls... and then as soon as graduation happened, they dropped me.  I still hold a tiny grudge, but the one thing that it taught me was to not be a doormat anymore... and I'm not.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aside from practically ditto-ing Madam A -

I'm a total dork. Yep, Straight A's. I had two best friends growing up, 1 moved away when I was about 10, the other remained my friend until I was 15. I was never really in the "In-Crowd" but I had a lot of good friends and I never really cared that I wasn't popular. My BFF, actually became a total $lut and every guy I liked, began to date (the classic movie and dinner or mall hang out for Delawarians in middle and high school) she'd end up sleeping with. So, yah, that was female betrayal #1. My parents moved when I was 1/2 way through my junior year to PA.

Since I moved, I had and made few friends at the new school, and all the DE friends kinda left me for the $lut. I was never a partier, never got into trouble, but I had a really great childhood as far as family. I dance ballet from 3 y.o to 20 y.o with a short break around the time my maternal grandmother passed when I was 14.

College wasn't really any different friend wise. I made some really good friends. 3 of which are my BMs, one I'm marrying. I transfered a bit (mostly by choice), but I still managed to become friends with those types of girls, that end up stabbing you in the back.

I have several good guy friends, but again to quote Madam A - I kinda wish I had a larger group of female friends. The whopping 3 that I do have live in MA, NY and Europe (she's becoming more of an actual gypsy).
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    See, I literally stopped at childhood. Let me add on.

I moved in first grade, & 8th grade, which helped to make me a little more outgoing. I still never had any really close friends that were female- All through hs, I was friends with this guy who everyone swore I was dating, but I wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I was a social butterfly, but only in school. I never went to parties, I never drank/smoked/got in to trouble at all. I was a nerd who hated school work... for the most part.

I never went to college, so I don't really have anything past HS, but I started working immediately after graduation and made work friends at all of my jobs.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a good upbringing. I'm lucky to have great parents and siblings. My sister is my best friend and I'm really close with my brother, although I don't get to see him as much as I would like.

I was a huge tom boy as a kid and really shy until I was about 14. I played softball and was a swimmer for most of my life.

Then I don't really know what happened in high school but I became really out going and more of a girly girl. I had a lot of friends in high school but not too many that were REAL friends. I have a handful of girlfriends from high school and college that I am really close with. Other than that my friends are guys. I always felt like I got along better with boys, I guess that's why I was such a tom boy growing up.
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was PAINFULLY shy all my life.   Seriously-- anyone who has met me now, imagine a complete 180.

I also grew up with three brothers who were much much older then I, in a neighborhood that didn't have a lot of kids.   I've always had a super active imagination, so you would usually find me running around in the wooded area behind our house, dressed up in my grandmothers dresses from the 50s playing "Pioneer Girl" or something like that. 

I also didn't wasn't allowed to watch a lot of television, or listen to the radio.  I grew up listening to music from the 50s and 60s and show tunes.  I don't know many little girls who make their Barbies reenact Phantom of the Opera ;)

In elementary school I had a close group of friends, however when they all made the cheerleading squad in 7th grade and I didn't, I wasn't good enough to be their friend anymore.  From there on out, I pretty much just had one really good friend and a couple of acquaintances.  I'm not really good at multi-taking other people's personal lives, you know?
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope when we have kids we have a boy(s).  Girls suck.... very mean!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_would-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:c18c6fd6-a877-409b-8e33-fc2842858eefPost:aadf5cf2-3694-427c-a735-e5485d2e2801">Re: How would you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope when we have kids we have a boy(s).  Girls suck.... very mean!
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

I lean towards wanting boys as well.  Only because I'd like to have the opportunity to put good men out there in the world who will know how to treat women properly.  They are sadly few and far between I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

>> I don't know many little girls who make their Barbies reenact Phantom of the Opera ;)<<

This one! And Anne of Green Gables. All of them. From Anne of Green Gables to Rilla of Ingleside.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was girlie to start, wouldn't get a dress unless it flipped up when I spun around.  I had hair down to my bottom by the time I was five.  Then I fell in love with Barbie around the same time my younger brother discovered GI Joe.  He used to line up my Barbies and shoot them down with the Joes.  Not nice but I joined in shortly after and then cut all of Barbie's hair off.  My mom was pissed.  I also made a collection of worms.  I didn't understand why worms couldn't live in a shoebox in my closet.  They dried out and died.  I was sad.  I was even more sad when my mother discovered them and punished me for it.  I played in a creek and caught water spiders even though we were really searching for sharks lol.  I didn't realize then that sharks didn't swim in creeks. 

I also followed directions.  My kindergarten teacher tried to hold me back for a second year.  My mom brought me to the parent teacher conference.  The teacher said I was shy an didn't talk too much in school.  My mom (knowing I ran my mouth at home) turned and asked me why I didn't talk at school.  I looked at my teacher, then back at my mom then back to the teacher and said "Mrs. (teacher's name), you're always telling us to be quiet!"  Anyway, I went right on to first grade after that.

I'm not that different now.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards