• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

OK ladies I need your opinion!!!

Sooo I'm faced with the decision of should I pay for plates for my vendors.  I'll be honest and say I'm torn however, I don't think I should have to.  All the vendors I'm working with own their business and I've paid these people $1000 plus dollars.  Also, when you go to work, does your boss pay for your lunch in addition to paying your salary?????  They are welcome to the open bar however I don't think I should incur an additional bill because of my vendors - who have all already been paid in full.  What do you ladies think???????

Re: OK ladies I need your opinion!!!

• My venue has a vendor plate.  It's much less than the guest meal, and I have some vendors working through the reception - 2 photographers, and the DJ.  The photographers will be with us from 11am until 8pm so I need to feed them something!  The DJ is also working a long day, he is setting up at 3pm and the night ends at 9:30.  I do have 3 other vendors (string trio) but they are leaving after cocktail hour and said instead of dinner they will much on the leftover cocktail hour goodies.

does your venue have a vendor plate?  If they do, get that, if they don't ask the vendors if they will be having dinner at the reception, if it's a yes, you probably should order them something. 
    [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/eq6ma9.jpg[/IMG]
  • Like Angie, my caterer offers a vendor plate for 50% the price of the guest meal.  It really is common courtesy, even though you are paying your vendors a lot of money, since they are working through a meal time.  It may even be part of their contract (my DJ requires one in his).  Since it's generally expected, they probably won't be bringing their own food.  If you wish, you can ask them if they would like a meal.

As for the open bar - my venue prohibits vendors from drinking any alcohol during events, and makes them sign a contract to that effect.  Additionally, do you really want someone to take advantage of your open bar and not eat anything? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think the rule of thumb of wether the bride & groom provide a vendor's meal is how many hours they are working. Granted they could bring their own snack/lunch/tupperware dinner, but that may look a little silly at a wedding. So if your vendor is working more than 4 hours while your event is going on, then provide a meal. It does not have to be the same elaborate multi-course meal your guests are getting.

If the lighting people took 4-5 hours to wash the walls in hotpink, they do not get a meal b/c this task is done prior to your event. But, if your DJ is contracted for 6 hours of playing time, feed him.

Some vendors will put in the contract they require a meal. If your venue does not have set vendor meals at a reduced rate, ask for it. Chicken sandwich and fries with a cold soda is all that's required. Did you tell your caterer/ venue about your vendor (extra people) partaking in your open bar?
  • Do your vendors have time to step "out" for a dinner break?  If not... then you should feed them.  That's just a common courtesy.  You can't expect your photographer to work 10 hours straight without giving them anything to eat.  Bottom line... if you want them to be there the whole time... you should feed them.  
  • The only vendor of ours that isn't also a guest is our photog and I have a meal for her. It's different than everybody elses (just a sandwich) but we discussed it and it's easier for her to be eating that while changing cards/batteries whatever while we are in our recieving line than to sit down and eat with everybody else.
  • also most will tell you if you need to feed them in their contracts...usually photog, dj and a planner if you have one
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that most contracts state weather you need to provide a meal for your vendor.
    Jennifer
    My Bio image 228 Invited so far! image 143 Are ready to party!
    image 74 Will be missing out image 11 need to make up their minds
  • I'm having a buffet and included the vendors in the guest count for it.  Like PPs said, it's just common courtesy.  They obviously won't have time to take a "meal break" like you would at your job!
  • Ok ladies I hear you all so let me answer your questions.  Regarding the open bar, I meant they could have a much non-alcoholic drinks as they want.  We supplied all the drinks for the bar so we don't need count the number of people for the bar.  My caterer offers a vendors plate at half off what we are paying for the guest plates.  None of my vendors has in their contract that we must pay for dinner for them.  (Frankly if I came across a vendor that had that in their contract I wouldn't book them.  It's a principle thing.) 
    After speaking with fiance about this we've decided not to pay for thir plates.  We  will let them know that if they want dinner they are more then welcome to pay for the plates themselves.  I'm sorry but I cant pay the vendor, pay for plates for them and give them tips....Not gonna happen ladies.  Thanks any who....

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: OK ladies I need your opinion!!!:
    [QUOTE]Ok ladies I hear you all so let me answer your questions.  Regarding the open bar, I meant they could have a much non-alcoholic drinks as they want.  We supplied all the drinks for the bar so we don't need count the number of people for the bar.  My caterer offers a vendors plate at half off what we are paying for the guest plates.  None of my vendors has in their contract that we must pay for dinner for them.  (Frankly if I came across a vendor that had that in their contract I wouldn't book them.  It's a principle thing.)  After speaking with fiance about this we've decided not to pay for thir plates.  We  will let them know that if they want dinner they are more then welcome to pay for the plates themselves.  I'm sorry but I cant pay the vendor, pay for plates for them and give them tips....Not gonna happen ladies.  Thanks any who....
    Posted by esthersandy12[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I find this to be incredibly rude. In the grand scheme of things, what is an extra couple of hundred dollars to keep your vendors happy, let alone energized. Do you really want lethargic and starved vendors running around on your day? I'd do anything I could to keep them happy, as you expect them to do the same for you and a hot meal for a 10+ hour day isnt asking too much. Our vendor meals are significantly cheaper than the regular guest meals, so it shouldn't be much of an issue and worth the money to you.

Reprioritize and, I'm going to use the old mantra, treat others the way you want to be treated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think I gotta agree with Stef here - it's not so much the principle as just common courtesy - these people are cow-towing to your every whim that day - have a little bit of human decency and feed them.  I get that you're paying them thousands of dollars - but you're paying for a service, not giving them the cash out of the goodness of your heart.  And don't forget that WE ALL are paying our vendors, and feeding them too - you're not special.  If you're not willing to spring for the vendor plates, then you're just being cheap & rude and giving brides everywhere a bad name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • In Response to Re: OK ladies I need your opinion!!!:
    [QUOTE]Ok ladies I hear you all so let me answer your questions.  Regarding the open bar, I meant they could have a much non-alcoholic drinks as they want.  We supplied all the drinks for the bar so we don't need count the number of people for the bar.  My caterer offers a vendors plate at half off what we are paying for the guest plates.  None of my vendors has in their contract that we must pay for dinner for them.  (Frankly if I came across a vendor that had that in their contract I wouldn't book them.  It's a principle thing.)  After speaking with fiance about this we've decided not to pay for thir plates.  We  will let them know that if they want dinner they are more then welcome to pay for the plates themselves.  I'm sorry but I cant pay the vendor, pay for plates for them and give them tips....Not gonna happen ladies.  Thanks any who....
    Posted by esthersandy12[/QUOTE]

yes, you're paying them and going to tip them, but they're human too. 
    your thought process to justify not spending a little extra money (half off the plate price) is so unbelievably rude and close-minded!
    my dj and photographer DO NOT have it stated in their contract that they would get food, but i am going to feed them since they're people and deserve to be treated as such and not as slaves.

you're goign to get slammed on here for you lack of decency towards your vendors
    image Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: OK ladies I need your opinion!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK ladies I need your opinion!!! : yes, you're paying them and going to tip them, but they're human too.  your thought process to justify not spending a little extra money (half off the plate price) is so unbelievably rude and close-minded! my dj and photographer DO NOT have it stated in their contract that they would get food, but i am going to feed them since they're people and deserve to be treated as such and not as slaves. you're goign to get slammed on here for you lack of decency towards your vendors
    Posted by JenO24[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  And honestly, OP, why did you ask if you weren't going to listen to what we had to say?

And I didn't bat an eyelash at my DJ requiring a meal in his contract, I think you're living in some alternate universe if you really wouldn't book a vendor just because they require a meal.  I consider if part of the expenses of having a wedding.  If you're not feeding them, PLEASE do not tell them they have to pay for a plate themselves - that's even ruder than your outright refusal to feed them.  Just let them know you won't be providing a meal so they can at least bring a sandwich and aren't passing out in the middle of your reception.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards