Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Rehearsal and cocktail hour- helllp.

So I have no idea how to plan a wedding. Two things.

Cocktail Hour: Ceremony will be held at a church in Jenkintown (3PM). Our cocktail hour is planned from 5:30-6:30PM. My FIL's suggested adding an additional hr to the front end of the cocktail hr for guests. Soo... Wedding 3-4PM. Cocktails 4:30-6:30. I'm assuming if this was the case, the bridal party would finish photos and mingle w/ guests some. Is this too long?

Rehearsal: Again - wedding in Jenkintown, reception at Knowlton. Any ideas what restaurants are nice in this area for rehearsals? FIL's suggested having a Center City dinner to give my guests (all out-of-towners) a taste of the city. It's a 30 min drive. Better to keep it local?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal and cocktail hour- helllp.

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel like 2 hours is a long cocktail hour.  Can you just start your reception at 5:30?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought so too. Other weddings where there was a gap, people have gone to a restaurant to kill time. We'll have a photobooth set up - maybe that could be a time killer too?

Ahh. I'd really like to keep the start time as is. Sun doesn't set until 8pm. My reception venue has lots of windows. Much of my decor is candle-lit, plus I'm paying to have lighting. There's really no sense to have any of that if we'll be celebrating in the daylight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Amy. Can you push back the ceremony or push up the reception?

I also like the idea of a CC dinner to give your OOTers a taste of Philadelphia.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't extend the cocktail hour...Id probably just leave it as it is, guests will manage.

Also where is the rehearsal, jenkintown?

If so city would work
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would just keep it as planned with the 1 1/2 break. I actually have been to weddings with a much longer lag and always found something to do. The guests will manage!
    I don't think you need to extend the cocktail hour but if you want to make sure that the bar is open for guests that arrive early, that would be enough I think...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I'll just do that - if guests arrive early, the bar will be open.

I think the max I would do is have it open 30 minutes early if a lot of guests arrive - I just think it's a lot of time for guests to wait around at the venue. Thanks all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I mean, if you want to extend it- I don't think its a bad thing. People love drinks and apps but I don't think you need to do it (especially if its going to cost you alot of extra $$) I think you'll guests will manage! I am a procrastinator and normally use that time to go buy a card and write out the check!

do whatever you want- just don't be pressured into something if you aren't comfortable with it :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with leaving the times as-is.  It's actually the same time frame that I have.  Our ceremony is at 3, and our reception is at 5:30.  But we are also having a full Catholic mass, and our priest is a talker, so there's a chance it won't be finished until 4:30, and the reception is about 20 minutes or so away. 

And for your RD, if you're having a lot of OOT people for the RD, then it would be nice to give them a taste of Philly, especially if they have never been there.  Two things to thing about, though.  1. They're going to be hungry.  2. It's going to be a bit pricier to eat in the city.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone.  The guests will survive during the gap time --- possibly refer them to an area restaurant or bar or other things to do.  If the ceremony is scheduled to end around 4, it will take some time for everyone to exit the church, get to their cars (they might want to mingle a little bit), and get to the reception site.  If anything, I'd push the cocktail hour from 5-6:30, but even that might not be necessary.

I did make mine start a half hour earlier to cut down on my gap time.  My ceremony will be at 2:30 until 3:30ish, and cocktail hour wasn't supposed to start until 6:30.  My parents couldn't conceptualize that people would be okay during that time (especially in Center City), so they insisted on making cocktail hour longer.  Our cocktail hour happens to be in my favorite of the spaces that we're using, so I was on board with having more time in that space, but again, I don't think it's necessary.  If you are considering it, at least at my venue, it was much less expensive to extend than I thought (I think we're paying under $5 per person for 30 mins more of apps and open bar).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else about the break.

Where will your OOT guests be staying & will they have a car with them? If they are flying / taking the train here and staying in the city that would also be another reason to have th RD in the city.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most will stay at a hotel in the NE (closest to reception - Even though it's nicer downtown, I was too worried about drinking and driving to a city hotel). Some will have car, some will not. My in-laws offered to arrange transportation to accommodate guests into the city if we do a RD there.

So I'm thinking - leave break btwn church and reception as is. City rehearsal dinner. THANK YOU ALL - I drive my fiance insaaaane when I debate these things with him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards