Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Pre Cana

I'm trying to register online but can't find the link to do so on the archdiocese site.

I called the office and the woman told me it had to be done online but she didn't know how to do it either.  She just said "people do it everyday.  It's on there, just keep looking."

Can anyone help me?  I admit I'm not so great on the computer.  Thanks.
Photobucket

Re: Pre Cana

• Options
    luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had a whole note about not being able to register online at all, but then found this:

https://www.archdiocese-phl.org/ssl/acceptiva/flb/premaritalregistration/RegMarriagePrep.htm

I have no idea if that is clicky or not...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you doing in person pre cana or online classes?  I have the link to the online classes, thats what we did.. 
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!!!  I just got off the phone with my priest and he gave me a different number to call but I had to leave a voicemail.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooodsie - ONLINE classes?!?!  Why did I not know about these?!?  I would have definitely preferred the online course to the complete waste of time class we went to.  
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oodsie, I asked them about the online courses a month or so ago and the woman said they're only approved in extreme cases.  How were you able to do them?

I honestly think I'd like to do the sessions though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They're totally okay, not just for extreme cases.. I posted about it on here back when we did it last year.  It's awesome.  It's a 100% approved pre cana class by the archdiocese of Philadelphia.  It's an independent website that does it, and when it's all done they submit the paperwork to your priest and thats it. 

It's basically a website you go to, and you read some stuff and then fill out a questionare about what you read.  You are assigned a mentor who then reads what you wrote and comments.  There are no tests/quizzes, just a lot of reading and responding with your opinions on things.  It took us a few weeks, and we typically completed 1-2 chapters a week by spending maybe an hour or so doing it.  (All totalled there are maybe 10 chapters to complete).  

All in all it was awesome, we didnt have to go to any meetings, and it honestly was somewhat insightful doing the chapters at home and having a chance to discuss our feelings on various issues as we went along.. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Stacy - Be prepared.  I was looking forward to going because I thought I could get something useful out of it.  We tried to take it seriously but it was such a disappointment.  I got so much more out of a book I picked up called "I Promise You" than the class we went to.  It was in NJ through the Diocese of Trenton though.  
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It bugs me that OLMC don't have pre cana any more. I heard so many good things about it.

FI are going to do the on-line pre cana. The priest that is marrying us (he is no longer at OLMC) said he will accept it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Chiming in to say that FI and I had a really good pre-cana experience (Horsham in Phila Archdiocese) a few weeks ago. I went into it not expecting much and came out with lots of valuable (IMO) tips and talking points for FI and I... We also met some great couples our age and found we had lots to talk about. I hope you have the same experience. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How much do they charge for the online one?  I'm surprised b/c the woman I spoke to on the phone honestly said that the archdiocese would prefer the sessions and, like I said, only accept it for extreme situations.  I don't know.  I'll look into it again.

I remember oodsie mentioning it months back while we were discussing different locations...that's when I called.

Madam, did u go to a weekend one or one split up during the week?  I'm planning on doing one in Wynnewood that's Tues and Thurs nights for 2 weeks.  I thought it would be good to learn about that kind of thing as a couple.  I figured we'd take it more seriously in a group setting anyway.  Do they really test and quiz you on info?  I thought it was supposed to be more of a compatibility thing?

For what it costs, I'd hope it's good.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to say it was around $100 or $150 maybe?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole,
    Who is your moderator?  We had Karen Gonzoles.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't sign up yet. We are slackers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh haha.. Do it.  It's so quick and easy.  Way less painful than I thought it would be.  You can breeze through it and be done in a month.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI is finishing his masters degree this semester. I fell bad to put something else on him right now. We can wait until May right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I should learn to spell...feel**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah definitely.. We did ours maybe 3 months before the wedding.  Just don't sign up and pay until you're ready to do it though cause once you do they set an expiration date that you have to complete it by.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good to know. TY!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got off the phone with Family Life and the woman said online is last resort.  She wouldn't let me do it.  We're doing the one in Wynnewood.  I don't mind b/c it's right near my work.  Plus, 4 sessions and it'll be over with.  WeI won't have to worry about motivating each other to do it on our own. 
    Nicole, what church does ur priest work out of now?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats so weird - I guess it's up to your individual priest maybe then because I didn't call the main office, I just asked my priest and he said "Oh yeah definitely, online is great, go for it" and that was that.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I'll call Mt. Carmel on Sunday and ask them then.  I asked my church about it originally and they just gave me the number to Family Life.  haha..i feel like I"m being very lazy about this.  To be honest, I just want to do whatever's cheaper b/c the ceremony+musicians+donation to the church costs enough as it is w/o a $195 pre cana course!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just asked FI and he said Gregs...no clue where that is. He is a member of FI string band.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a St. Gregory's in Jersey...is your priest there?  haha, I'm just jealous that you're allowed to do it!  I'm going in to see Father Gus on Sunday after mass.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No he just told my it's by Curran's (a bar in the NE).

Hmm is it bad he is telling me the location of a church by where a bar is located? lol
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hehe...that's how i find places too.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is your church in the archdiocese of Phila?  I think thats the only local archdiocese that accepts the online classes, I don't think NJ is on the list.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is, I'm getting married at the same church as Nicole.  That's why I was confused as to why she can do the online pre cana.  She's not using a priest from our church, but I am.  I still want to  check with the priest tomorrow morning before I sign up.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards