Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Ceremony Readings

I wanted to hear ideas on what you plan (or have done) for readings at the ceremony.  I saw TK has a bunch of them on the site, and I liked a few, but wanted to hear more ideas.

For example, since I'm a PreK teacher I was trying to find a cute children's book that tells the story of love.  I'm also thinking of getting quotes from all my students on "what is love?" "What is marriage?" and having someone read some of the responses.

Share your ideas!
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker
183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010

Re: Ceremony Readings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss makes me cry when I read it now ;) I think it's most appropriate for graduations, but it could also work for a wedding. 

EDIT: The passage from the Velveteen Rabbit about being Real might also work.

We didnt have "readings", per se, but my godmother did read a translation of the 7 blessings traditionally said in Hebrew for the bride and groom at a Jewish wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm still working on mine.  One I was thinking of was "everything I know I learned in Kindergarten" but I like it more for graduation.
    I'm looking forward to responses here.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of a freind had this reading:

The Hands of the Bride and GroomMaid of HonorBride's name, please face Groom's name, and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you. Bride and groom should be facing each other, his upturned hands resting in hers.These are the hands, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.These are the hands you will place with expectant joy against your stomach, until he too, feels his child stir within your womb.These are the hands that look so large and clumsy, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your new family.These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy.These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief rack your mind.These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you.Best ManGroom's name, please hold Bride's name's hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you. Bride should now place her upturned hands in the Groom's hands.These are the hands that are smooth, young, and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurts, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it's time to let go.These are the hands that will massage tension from your neck and back in the evenings, after you've both had a long hard day.These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.
    They are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick or console you when you are grieving.These are the hands that will passionately love you and chrish you through the years,
    for a lifetime of happiness.These are the hands that will hold you in joy and excitement and hope, each time she tells you that you are to have another child; that together you have created a new life.Perhaps these are the hands that will comfort you when you are told you cannot have a child, and will convince you that together you will create new life in other ways.These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together, as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry it copied so weird.  

• Options
    CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NCV2 - that reading just made me tear-up a bit!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our officiant included that "hands" ceremony for us.
  • Options
    dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I remember when I student taught kindergarten. We made a class book of the students' responses to "How do you make a Thanksgiving turkey?" The responses of course were hysterical. Maybe you could pose the question "How does someone be a good wife or husband?" I am sure their responses will be funny and honest. Some of them could be selected for a reading of advice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like this one:

Union by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –
    This is my husband. This is my wife.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    delicatefew- I read that at my best friends wedding, and had to hold back the tears. I loved that reading!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the little prince has a lot of good togetherness and love quotes  :)
    the giving tree is always good for a whole reading, and a lot of shell silverstein's shorter poems are cute as well.  i'm a bit of a children's book enthusiest, so feel free to pm me and maybe we can come up with others!
    good luck!
    Photobucket

september siggy challenge! my colours!

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other's eyes but looking outwards at the same direction." - The Little Prince Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks I'm definitely going to look into some of those books!

Just thought I'd share this too.  I asked my kids today "what is love?  what is marriage?"  I think I'm going to put their quotes on a slideshow and have them going on as people come in for the wedding so they can read them while they wait.  These were some of the little gems I got today (all from 4yr olds):

"Love is mom."

"Love is taking care of you and buying you something."

"Marriage means you kiss on the mouth."

"Marriage means I love you."

"Love is a heart.  Marriage means to kiss and love."

"Marriage means to give your heart."

"Marriage means you're not going to be our teacher anymore."

"Love means you're getting married.  It means you kiss, you get flowers, you get rings, and you go home together."

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards