Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

disney world (int'l food festival)

i know some of you are disney world gurus so i figured i ask for some advice.

FI and i will be going to Flordia in October to visit my mom.  We wanted to do something fun for our 1 year pre-wedding anniversary so we are going to head to Disney for 2 days.  The international food festival in Epcot is happening when we will be there. Is anyone familiar with this? 

Also, where have you found the cheapest tickets?
October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: disney world (int'l food festival)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not done it my self but have heard nothing but good things about!.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We found that AAA was by far the cheapest, and they included travel insurance at no additional cost.

We went during the food and wine festival.  We didn't eat at all the places, because it is expensive, but we did have some and it was so yummy.  We liked the fact that they had countries there that are not a part of the regular showcase- it gave some variety to the usual.  Make sure to stop at the 15 beers for 15 years (well, it was 15 in 2010)- that was really awesome, they had many different beers from the usual.

Gosh, now I want to eat my way around the World Showcase...ugh, I want some good food!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh good, i have AAA. 

and FI and i love beer so this is excellent news!!!  (please note our favorite place to be is at the pub! )
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you know anyone that works at a military installation?  Their tickets are even cheaper than AAA.

We're getting ours through my BIL.  His work benefits give him access to this site:
    https://smartsavings.motivano.com/ OR   http://www.motivano.com/index.html

From the looks of their website, they have A LOT of clients that give their employees access to this site.  Maybe ask around and see if anyone you know works for a company that allows them access?  They're even cheaper than AAA and the military discount.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can buy drink flight passes, and get your passport book stamped with beers from around the world.. It's fun!    We were tipsy by the end of every night, which is kind of funny considering you're in Disney, and drunk :)

But yes, I lovelovelove the food/wine festival.  Favorite time to go to Disney.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not done food/wine, but I am a Disney discount diva. 

If you are doing Epcot primarily while there, I cannt recommend staying at the Swan or Dolphin highly enough.  They are walking distance form the Itnernational Gatway (which leads to World Showcase, the hub of everything food-y and wine-y) and since they are technically owned by Sheraton, not Disney, they offer crazy promos and discounts on rooms all the time.  We snagged a teacher discount from them for our stay this summer, followed by a SuperBowl promo for PA residents that landed us a free night (saved us even more than teacher discounts...which themselves were a greater percanteage off than AAA).  You will get to take advantage many on-site hotel perks, like the Disney buses.  The only drawbacks are that you cannot take Disney's airport transportation, use the Disney Dining Plan, or charge park merch to your room account there.  People sometimes also don't like it because the rooms are  less "theme"-y this is actually a plus for me, some of the theming at the Value resorts drives me nuts). 

For actual park tickets, saving a few bucks isn't a great option.  Your best best is to buy ahead of time from an authorized Disney ticket reseller - I like UndercoverTourist.com because their prices are usually the best and include taxes/fees upfront.  They also don't charge you for shipping.  We probably saved a total of $20-30 off gate price on our five-day tickets for this summer.  I will also say that park tickets are HEAVILY discounted for longer stays (we are talking $5 extra per day once you go above 4), so if you are considering going back within the next couple of years I would actually buy tickets for a longer stay and spend the dough to add on no expiration - you will save possibly hundreds. 

You may also want to consider signing up for e-mail mailings from Disney and getting a vacation planning DVD, even if you don't really want it.  Disney has been known to indiscriminately send out special discount codes to people and doings those things seems to increase your chances by a bit.  The codes are tied to your name and address - I received one for free dining yesterday, but couldn't actually use it because we are already booked!  I wish I could pass it on to you.

For general Disney discounts, the greatest site ever is www.mousesavers.com. If you sign up for their newsletter you won't regret it :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards