Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Wedding Song?

I know I have a lot of time left before I actually have to choose the song for our first dance, but I was thinking about it so I figured I'd ask: What song did/will you use for your first dance? Does it have a special meaning to you? Is it a song typically used for weddings?

I think we might go with a song by Fun called The Gambler, but I wanted to get an idea of what other people do. It's an adorable song, but I didn't know if it was wedding appropriate..
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Song?

• Options
    edited December 2011

We went with George Strait - I Cross My Heart

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we danced to Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

The hubs used to sing it to me as I would fall asleep :)
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're going to dance to Two Step by DMB.  My family thinks we're crazy, who cares.  We wanted and up beat song and love DMB, esp me.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance is to Ray LaMontagne's "You are the Best Thing"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we're going to do "Marry Me" by Train.  We were thinking about "Faithfully" by Journey, but I just heard this song about a week ago and love it.  I think I'm going to walk down the aisle to an instrumental version, someone playing on guitar or piano, and the regular version will be our first dance.
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to dance to "Everything" by Michael Buble.  It's our song and we absolutely love it!!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys was our First Dance song.  We had our dance - a waltz - professionally choreographed, and it came out very well!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson.  It's fun, it's upbeat, it's sweet, and it's only about 2 minutes long.  We never had a "song," but it came on my iTunes one day and we both looked at each other, knowing it was what we would dance to at our wedding.

As another idea, I walked up the aisle to a version of Ben Folds" "The Luckiest" played by two friends of mine - a violinist and a pianist.  Had they not offered to play my ceremony music for me as a wedding gift, DH and I would have probably chosen this song.  It is probably my all-time favorite love song.  I should also point out that the pianist friend is the one in whose wedding I will be a groomsmaid next year :)

Because I am an AW and majorly missing said friend, here is the arrangement of the Luckiest they played, set to the slideshow we had going during our cocktail hour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyRKm_eSjA (This was uploaded to YouTube and sent to me to watch the day after the wedding, and I totally cried all over again.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys.  It's not OUR song.  Our song is kind of lame... it's "I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You" by Savage Garden, but we really didn't want to dance to it!  We want offbeat and upbeat music, so Beach Boys it is!!
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing "You and I" by Michael Buble. He wanted an older song, I wanted something more modern. Since it's originally by Stevie Wonder (which we admittedly didn't know until recently), it's got both!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did "Then" by Brad Paisley

Philly Sig Challenge

For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our band covered When in Rome The Promise
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to be dancing to GooGooDolls " Iris " . It is our song and he had a guitar player playing and singing it while he proposed to me. He wnts to have the dj scratch the song and we will break out in different dances to different songs....Im still on the fence about that LoL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is 'I'd love to be your last' by Clay Walker. It's pretty fitting for us, as we've both been married before, and the lyrics definitely are tear jerkers.

Our second option (if we change our minds, because we're not sure yet) is the song 'so close' from enchanted. I have it on my ipod, and he heard it the other day in the car and asked me about it.

Neither of them is 'our song'... ours is actually 'Then' by Brad Paisley. It's the first song we ever danced to (in my kitchen, while i was making him dinner).
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_wedding-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:e598ec4c-7fc6-4a1e-a867-633610508faePost:5b06adce-5d38-45fa-9bdb-b1358f9ef231">Re: Wedding Song?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing "You and I" by Michael Buble. He wanted an older song, I wanted something more modern. Since it's originally by Stevie Wonder (which we admittedly didn't know until recently), it's got both!
    Posted by kristinrotondo[/QUOTE]

We had a DJ do our ceremony music and Stevie Wonder's "You and I" was played as we lit the unity candle :)
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We danced to Pearl Jam's cover of Neil Young's Harvest Moon.

We love PJ, go to concerts together when they're here and even travel if we can to see them.  It was the only love song we could knew from them other than Just Breathe.  We've seen them do Harvest Moon in concert and love it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I forgot to add that I don't think it matters if the song is "wedding appropriate".  If the song means something to you and your relationship then I think that makes it "appropriate" no matter what as long as it's not screaming the Fword all over the place, I think it's okay :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I will be dancing to "Bring it on Home" by Little Big Town. FI picked it because it's exactly us. He's very supportive of my emotional self, and is always there - I don't think it's a traditional wedding first dance song, I've never heard of anyone who wanted to use it. But it's really lovely.

FI and I also have an electic taste in music, so we've gone far from tradition for every song in the ceremony as well.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TCT- I love that song. It was literally JUST playing on my ipod. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    dink that was our wedding song too!!! I love that song and Brad :)

noel - Marry Me is such a beautiful song, love it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We danced to "You Are the Best Thing" by Ray LaMontagne (good choice, Beagle!)

Its "our song" and the song that he had playing when he proposed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JNJApril2012JNJApril2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will dance to "If You're Not the One" by Daniel Beddingfield. It had been our song since high school. It is so fitting for us and even though there are other songs that we have been drawn to, nothing us feels right.
  • Options
    JJMsBrideToBeJJMsBrideToBe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a super hard time choosing between Starting Line's "The Best of Me" and The Spill Canvas' "So Much" The lyrics are just beautiful to both, but we have also considered Weezer's "You're My Best Friend" We have 8 months though, so no rush.

When I was younger though, I always pictured something classic though like an Etta James or Sinatra song. I've been interviewing tons of DJs lately (though that is definitely FI's job, haha) and one thing I've been pressing is that I want tons of OLD music mixed with our alternative/indie rock for the reception.
    "It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan." -Eleanor Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards