Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Health & Fitness Check-In

How are you doing with your diet and working out?  Anything to AW?

Re: Health & Fitness Check-In

• Options
    edited December 2011

It doesn't sound like much, but I had some random epiphany this weekend and decided that I've not been serious enough about my attempts to lose weight. So, I bought a bunch of lean cuisines & Smart Ones, fruits, veggies, water, yogurt, etc. Yesterday was my first day, and I have to say- after tracking what my calorie intake was previously, compaired to yesterday, I was shocked. It sounds dumb, but it just didn't dawn on me that snacking on veggies was a fantastic idea. :) I have blackberries today as my morning snack, and celery, peppers, cucumbers & carrots for later throughout the morning. :)

Besides, I tried my dress on last night, and I can't get the damn thing to zip up the back. I can't believe I gained that much since August, but I guess between holiday parties & the crappy job I was working at, I did. I have about 4 inches around my waist/torso to lose. 10 months gives me plenty of time, and when I called FI freaking out, he decided to join me and help motivate me.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been eating ok, but I feel like I have to clean it up a bit if I want to really get leaner.  It's sooooo much easier for me to eat good in the summer when there are more fresh fruits and veggies and I'm less inclined to want hot food!  It sucks.

Since I think my headache this past weekend was part caffeine withdrawl, I decided to cut my coffee 1/2 regular 1/2 decaf for a few days this week to wean myself off.  I really want to stop drinking coffee but don't want another throbbing headache.

I'm still working out consistently.  Can't do as much cardio as I'd like, but I've been doing well with weights.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Health & Fitness Check-In:
    [QUOTESo, I bought a bunch of lean cuisines & Smart Ones, fruits, veggies, water, yogurt, etc.
    Posted by paprika28[/QUOTE]

These aren't really healthy.  They are low in calories, but don't have much nutrition and usually have a lot of sodium.  If you have time, you'd be better off making large meals on the weekend and packing them for lunch.  If you don't have time to make meals in advance, at least look for the Kashi frozen lunches... they sometimes go on sale.
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's TOM for me, so I'm not even thinking about stepping on a scale, but the cardio I've been doing has gone well. I'm planning on doing some more tonight after my dentist appt.

Eating, aside from this past weekend, has been going very well. I'm also drinking only water, and V8 splash - which gives me great taste, but not a whole lot of calories or too much excess sugar like some of the other fruit juices. I feel good, even though it is TOM, so I'm taking that for a good sign. Next week I hope to add in lifting to my weekly regimen.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ate horribly over the weekend but I did manage to start going to the gym in the morning last week and this week, i've already gone to the gym twice.  I'm starting to log my calories and joined a work weight loss event thingie.  Hopefully that'll be good motivation for me.  Plus, the family is planning some sort of a tropical vacation soon so I def gotta get my act together again.
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I gained a pound at my weigh in on Friday morning.  I missed two days at the gym though because of my mom being in and other stuff going on. 

MH- I agree with you about eating healthier in the summer.  Even with all the picnics, I always seem to eat a lot better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eating - been doing better.  Did splurge and have ice cream Friday and boneless chicken wings at Wendys Saturday.  But it's better than I have been.  We've really be trying to eat at home more to save money which helps me stay on track.

Working out - Last week, I went to the gym Mon and Tue until my knee got swollen so I eased off it.  I decided to do the bike yesterday instead of the elliptical and knee is ok today.  So if the weather isn't too bad, I'll go to the gym tomorrow and bike again, then elliptical Friday.

I gained since TOM.  It's really bad this go-around so I'm trying to down water. 

Paprika and HM - lean Cruises and smart ones are a good way to start to learn portion control.  But I agree, next week plan to cook something Sunday to pack all week. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks MH! I'm gonna try these first to make sure that I stick to bringing food from home... That tends to be my biggest downfall. And anything is better than fast food every day... or cafeteria food. The stuff down at our caf is pretty high fat- mac & cheese, pizza, mashed potatoes... it's usually high carb, high fat, and high sodium. And I never grab the healthy stuff down there because it's much more expensive than the yummy comfort foods.

I'm planning on waaaay upping my water intake too- I'm usually at one bottle a day. (yeah, I know. Lecture me... FI does. on a daily basis.) :) I'm hoping to get to 9 bottles a day by the end of the month.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - I think that's a great start, and soon you'll move on to even healthier choices.  Water will definitely help, but 9 water bottles/day might be too much.  I know one rule of thumb is half your body weight in oz.  So i'm 180: so 90 oz that's 11 cups.  How big is your water bottle?
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My quads are a little sore today.  Yesterday was my first run since September.  I've got to start getting ready for the Phillies 5k and Broad St.  It was also my first time running in the cold!

Foodwise I need to start tracking my calories again.  I started wearing my BodyBugg again to track the calories I'm burning, but it's not that big of a help if I don't track what I'm eating too!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's only an 8 oz bottle. Judging by that, I'll have to drink quite a bit of water. More than I was planning...
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i was doing good until the bacon cheeseburger and dirty martini last night.

October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    I was sort of apathetic last week.  I ate well when I felt like it, but then ate some crap (hello french fries and pulled pork sandwich, whoops).  I weighed in at Weight Watchers, and lost 0.  Gained 0, so that's a win, I suppose.

I went running Saturday and Sunday, but then I was lazy yesterday and skipped yoga.  I eat better when I am not stressed, and the wedding coming up is definitely stressing me! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take your water bottle with you EVERYWHERE... in the car, at your desk, to meetings, drink water with meals, take it to the gym, sitting on the couch, in your purse at the stores, etc.  It helps to continually drink water, but it also keeps you from getting thirsty and buying sodas and stuff.  And if you're planning to really commit to drinking that much water, it's worth it to invest in an aluminum or plastic bottle to reuse and getting a brita for the fridge.  Bottled water gets expensive over time and is really wasteful.  I know this from buying cases of bottles for about 3 years before I got smarter.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - Ok I was thinking it was like a bottled water which is 2 cups.  Just add a cup every couple of days and be prepared to get up peeing at night. 

HM - I agree.  I drink so much water at meeting mainly out of boredom.   It's an easy way to get it in.  I also find I drink more when I have a waterbottle with a straw. 
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I need you two to be my 'check in' people. For real. I just don't get thirsty ever... and when I do, I drink water. I'm still sipping on my coffee from first thing this morning...

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was sick last week so I skipped the gym for 4 days. But I also didn't have much of an appetite. Now I'm back to eating normally and going to the gym. First night back last night was rough. My chest still isn't totally clear but hopefully I'll be 100% healthy by the end of this week.

Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - i'm been slacking on my water lately too.  I'm still sipping on coffee myself.  Haha we can have a water Challenge
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm good with a challenge! I'm a firstborn and hate losing... be prepared. :) This could actually be a good idea, if you're up for it. I'll check in with you on FB every night. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - I'm up for it!  is it just plain water, or can herbal tea count? 
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Work has been so crazy for me that I haven't had three seconds to go to the gym.  But I get my life back after Friday, so hopefully next week will be better.

I did do my fitness test on the Wii Biggest Loser game, and my calves are really sore today!  Gzilla plays dodgeball tonight, so I was thinking that while he's at dodgeball, I might do some Biggest Loser or 30 Day Shred.  Either way, I'm hanging out with Satan... I mean Jillian.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RA- I'll be hanging with Satan tonight too! 30 day shred for me tonight while FI is at pool, because I couldn't get my ass out of bed this morning.

Mana- that's fine. Herbal tea works. I'm gonna get a bottle with a filter on it so I can refill it constantly- the hospital's tap water is terrible.

You're goin' down. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    AW: I went down 2-3 lbs. yay! I'm sure I'll be up 2-3 lbs from all the crap I ate this weekend. DH and I went to the kickboxing class last night together. I'm going to try to go to the gym tomorrow or Thurs. Gotta get ready for the phillies 5k!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is anyone interested in purchasing beachbody products?  I recently became a beachbody coach, so I can help you out with any questions or purchases.  Beachbody sells workout videos (like P90x and Insanity), as well as some equiptment (like resistance bands) and some protein shakes and supplements.  Sent me a message if you are interested.
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    edited December 2011
    Paprika - Uh NO YOU'RE GOING DOWN!  My tea cup is 3 cups worth
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha... I've been going by ounces... I'm already 10 oz in... :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    flyersgirl436flyersgirl436 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Not sure if anyone will get back on this one, but I was wondering if anyone knows how much a membership at the Y is? I really need to start going, but was just wondering what the charge is. Also, if anyone knows of a better gym and what their price is let me know! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It varies by which branch. In chester county, ours actually goes by your income... so I pay 21.00 for a family membership. (It's still under my $6.00/hr job selling appliances.. not under the new job yet) It varies though. You should be able to go on their websites and they'll give you the rundown though. I love our Y, but mainly because I use it for more teaching DD how to swim.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    help!! i have lost 29 lbs since sept but last week i gained 3.8 lbs and then my birthday was yesterday so we went out to dinner sat and sun with family and friends! I sell advertising so I am primarily on the road all day meeting with clients, but last week my company decided that we should all come in to the office EVERDAY at 8am for stupid "huddles". I live 45min-1 hr from my office depending on traffic, so I am getting up at 6am driving to my office and then driving all over the philly metro - I am all out of wack. I am too tired to work out after work from all of the driving and I cant get back on my balanced eating schedule with all of this stress and my new hectic schedule. I have 30 more lbs to get to my goal by August and I am freaking I wont get there. I did just read about everyones jillian michaels obsession so I am hoping I will have energy after work to get that going since I cant seem to make it to the gym. phew i needed to vent!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    rluber--Jillian kicks your butt big time, but her stuff really works.  I've done her 30 Day Shred and I spent my lunch break surfing Amazon reading reviews of the Shred It with Weights, her Yoga DVD, and 6-Pack in 6 Weeks.  I now want them all.  Be prepared to hurt. 

Just set reasonable goals for yourself and take it week by week.  Don't look at the big picture... it's too overwhelming.  Week by week.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards