Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

other peoples wedding gifts

I'm going to a friends wedding this weekend.  I'll be honest, I'm a little low on cash these days.  I'll be getting paid twice at the end of the month which is always helpful but as far as this weekend's wedding is concerned, I can't afford to give her a decent amount.  If her wedding was 2 weeks later, it would be a different story.  Has anyone ever bought something off the registry for a wedding gift?  I've never done this before and always thought cash was the way to go.  I was thinking of giving her a smaller amount of cash than I usually would and buying her something nice off of her registry.  This way, I can charge it and pay for it next month when I'll be back on track financially.  What do you think?  This may be a stupid question but I'm clueless with this stuff.  Thanks.
Photobucket

Re: other peoples wedding gifts

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I figure this way she's not getting screwed.  THe other option would be to "forget" her card and mail a check to her in a couple of weeks but I know I'll forget.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tink option 2 is great.  Something fun I like to do is incorporate the couple's wedding date into the check amount....can you add $6.26 (or whatever the date is) as a little sentimental touch?  Maybe that will hlep you feel better about giving a smaller check.  I think some cash plus a gift off the registry is great. 
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's totally fine to do that. I don't see why not. I mean she has a registry for a reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I would like if someone did that, gift and money. It is the best of both worlds :)

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just felt weird about it b/c usually I only ever see "older" guests carrying in a big gift lol.  I don't want to be pinned as her great aunt walking in.  I think it will work though.  I know how much I want all of the things we've registered for.  I think incoorporating her date into the dollar amount is a cute idea too.  Looking at her registry though, they're mostly big ticket items or kitchen utencils left.  I'll have to do some digging.  Thanks ladies :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the gift and cash is great.
    I like ot get things off the registry because I know it is something they want, and adding the cash will be great for them as well.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    LadybugBride3LadybugBride3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another option would be getting them a gift card to a store they are registered.  Might be a good idea if there's mostly big ticket items left.

image 247 Invited so far!
    image 170 Are ready to party!
    image 35 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are MIA!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a great idea, didn't even think of that.  Hopefully she's not a lurker on here, BUSTED lol.  I think she'd understand lol. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with a GC to one of the stores, since you can charge it.. Or to "forget" the card all together and give it to her later if you don't find something on the registry you like.  I had plenty of people forget my cards and give them to my later, it didn't mean any less.. it was actually kind of nice getting a gift after the fact :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is she going on a honeymoon somewhere? If so, you could always get her a gift certificate to the hotel or the cruise ship? You could charge that and still have a nice gift for her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote for the gift card idea-she can use that get whatever she wants off her registry.  I also like the check idea LaRosita mentioned, that's so cute, I wish I had thoght of that for my friend's wedding!  I am sure your friend will be happy with whatever you chose to get her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like Happywithhim's idea.  You could maybe have a bottle of champagne sent to their honeymoon hotel room too.
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't see anything wrong with giving a gift off the registry AND money.  it makes sense for you financially and it makes a nice gift for the bride and groom.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies.  I think I'm going to go with the gift and a little extra money.  There's a beautiful vase on their registry that I'm thinking about.  Otherwise, I might go with a place setting.  Thanks again!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards