Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Chruch Issues

Alright so maybe I waited too long to call the church or maybe I did things backwards and got ahead of myself looking for a venue but the priest will not see us for 3 weeks!!! We are pretty set on a venue so we wanted to find out the churches availability but they wont tell us until we meet with the priest! So fustrating! Im afraid that in 3 weeks a lot of dates at the venue will be taken. What should we do???

Re: Chruch Issues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you find out if the venue will hold your date and how long they will hold?  If you are off season or on a fri/sun, they might be understanding and hold the date for you.  On the other side, see if you can contact someone in your church's administration office and see if they can give you any indication if you date is available or when you might be able to confirm a date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oops, I think I mis-read, I thought you already had a date with your venue that you wanted.  In that case, I guess I'd work on the church and see if you can put a hold on a date there first?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had both the church and venue pencil us in for a date.  They should be able to hold it for you without a deposit.  Basically if anyone else would show interest in the same date, they would call you, but you'd have first dibs.  Try seeing if they will do this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, but I wouldn't mention to your priest that you already have a venue and date chosen. I am assuming it is a Catholic church, but I was in the same situation and it was a little awkward because I already had a date chosen with the reception venue and then I called the church afterwards. I somewhat mentioned this and the woman that works in the rectory told me NOT to mention that at all to the priest. Then I asked a few friends who said exactly that. The church is technically supposed to be chosen first and then everything else should be chosen afterwards to celebrate your main sacrament. Just a little tip from my experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    EandRus...Im so glad you told me that! I had no idea and it does make sense that the priest might get mad! Thank you everyone for your advice!
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What venue are you looking at?  I think you're planning for September of next year.  If this is correct, why do you need to meet already?  We didn't have to do this until 6 months out.  All I did was go into the rectory after Sunday mass, tell the receptionist why I was there.  She filled out a couple pieces of paper about me and FI and then broke out the calendar and asked us to pick an open date.  We didn't have a formal meeting with our priest until 10 months after that.  Maybe my church is a lot smaller.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    bc061111bc061111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your church shouldn't have an issue. Worse case scenario...you can see if another church is available. All you would have to do is write a letter to the second church and explain how important it was for you to be married that day in that Church. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Stacy!
      I called the church to find out which dates they were available so that we could book a venue but they wouldnt give me any information. Said that we needed to meet with the priest first and he would let us know the availability. Sooo.... until we meet with him, I guess the venue will have to wait. Its fustrating!!
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, that is frustrating.  I had a really easy time with my church.  I would argue a little bit.  I'm learing that even though it's church, it's still a business and a vendor (I know that sounds bad, but you are paying them).  Tell them once again (and somewhat firmly) that you need a date so that you can book your venue.  Tell them how important it is for you to be married in that specific church.  Otherwise, sounds like you'll have to wait.  Sorry it's this way for you.  Hopefully, you'll get it cleared up soon.

Good luck :)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards