Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

New Facebook Scam

Just came across this (very strange) and thought I'd pass on the info.

Someone that I went to college with just sent me a Facebook Chat.  And she said "Hi.....are you there......" and when I asked her what was up, she said "am no good.  am in some trouble."  Right away this sent up a red flag, and I made some "okay this isn't this person... please get off of this girl's account."

I mentioned something to another friend who knows her, and the same thing happeend to him.  Except the friend (who was clearly hacked) asked him for money. 

So just be on the look out for that.  Random people you haven't talked to in a while suddenly sending you a facebook chat asking for money.
Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog

Re: New Facebook Scam

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!

Yeah, if you have a Yahoo account, set it up to send you a text if the password gets changed too! (I think FB lets you do this as well) It turns out that my account wasn't hacked by someone I knew- but they got in to my email, my FB, and they were attempting to change all of my passwords on my billing stuff. It happened again a few nights ago. Grr.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This happened to my friend last year.  They said they were in London, had no where to say b/c they were robbed and asked my friend for money.  She didn't get why they didn't ask me for help, which was the flag.  

Also it was a semi friend from HS type thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also I read in the newspaper the other day that people are making up apps which search for info in people's profiles such as full b-days, addresses, phone numbers etc.  IF you happen to have all this info you need to remove it, just have the month and day of your b-day not year, take out your phone number and address, ramp up privacy.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah this was a girl who transferred out after a year... and she wasn't really close to a lot of theatre majors.  She was a sweet girl, but we never hung out.  I don't know if she has brothers or sisters... I don't know anything about her.

The weirdest part was when she asked me what the lobby of the theatre looked like.  My friend she was also talking to asked her to describe the lobby, so she tried to get me to describe it.  Between the two of us, we got whoever it was to realize that she wasn't getting anywhere with either of us.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is exactly why I have all those privacy settings. Thanks for the heads up since this is obviously going through hacked accounts!
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why anyone would have their phone number posted on Facebook (unless they were a business) is really beyond me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah. I do. But only because I sync all of my phone numbers with it, and I have FB mobile. judge away. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had this happen to me too last year.. I called my friend right away to tell her her account was hacked.  I also know someone who fell for this and DID send the money, ugh.  So sad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This happened to me once, my friend Joe was telling me he was mugged and needed me to wire money to him.... um yea ok... haha. So I kept talking to see if it was really him, and of course wasn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This exact thing hapened to a close family friend of mine.  It was the exact tsame story NCV is telling - she was "stranded" in London and needed money. Eugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards