Pennsylvania-Central

Reasonably priced venues with charm?

My fiance and I just got engaged, but we're not very familiar with wedding venues in Central PA (we would prefer Lancaster, York, or Hershey). We would like to get married in fall 2011. We are looking for a venue that is affordable, but one that also has charm. I'm not a big fan of the typical reception hall - I would prefer something with a bit more character. Something with an outdoorsy area (even if it's just for cocktails) would be best.

I looked at Riverdale Manor, but it's mostly booked for next fall already; I've also looked into Cork Factory Hotel, Foxchase Golf Club, and Stone Mill Inn. Any ideas on other venues we should consider?

Re: Reasonably priced venues with charm?

• edited December 2011
    Stone Mill Inn, Yorktowne Hotel, Royal Manchester Golf Links, Heritage Hills, Outdoor Country Club, Reagents Glen-- All good places in York-ish area
  • higgydt4higgydt4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There isn't any outdoor space, but Mulberry Art Studios in Lancaster is really neat and beautiful.
  • peach5757peach5757 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Country Club of Harrisburg.  They have a really pretty outdoor area and it's an older stone clubhouse so it has some character.  Surrounded by the mountains and has views of the river.  Will be pretty in the fall with leaves changing, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Phesant Run Bed & Breakfast in Lancaster. Very affordable and adorable.
  • Kaytee241Kaytee241 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Stone Mill Inn fits your description. We loved it because it wasn't the typical reception hall. It has an outdoor area where we had our ceremony, and we had our cocktail hour on the patio under a tent. Check my bio for pics. The only concern is that they book up fast so you might have trouble finding a date. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine was at Pheasant Run in Lancaster and it was gorgeous!  It was the cheapest place we considered and probably one of the prettiest.  I also looked into Rockford Plantation at the Central Park in Lancaster, Landis Valley Museum in Lancaster, Cornwall Inn south of Lebanon, and Lancaster County Winery.  They were all fairly reasonable.  Lauxmond Farms in Wrightville is beautiful, but I wouldn't call it reasonable.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm trying to get a hold of these guys.  How affordable is affordable??  I sort of have my heart set on the place since I live right down the street.
  • writergirl28writergirl28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What place do you have your heart set on?

What is your budget? You need to have a solid budget worked out before you book a venue.

What is affordable depends on your budget, number of guests on your list, what kind of meal you want to have (pricing for lunch is usally cheaper than dinner, served can be cheaper than buffet depending on the place), alcohol and if they'll charge you for linens and china. Also getting married on a Friday or Sunday is usually cheaper.

Also just keep in mind that you'll want to book your venue ASAP as most of my vendors have told me that fall is the new busy season for weddings, so you may have trouble finding an available date as well as available vendors. Good luck!

Hope that helps! Finding our venue was the hardest part! We looked at a ton of places before we started to bargain with our venue and got a much better deal!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards