July 2012 Weddings

Reception Music Woes

Hey guys, I could use your help.  FI and I can't agree on music for the reception.  The problem is, FI is a self-professed "music snob" and hates, hates, haaates anything pop or top-40.  He wants all of the music to be his taste level, which is fine, but it's not popular, and a lot of it isn't really stuff you can dance to.  For example, he would love to have a playlist of all things from artists like Spoon, Five Iron Frenzy, Ben Kweller, Johnathan Coulton, The Avett Brothers, Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, etc.  He is fine with popular oldies like Motown stuff, but doesn't really care for anything new and popular.  

I've tried to explain to him that I really don't think people will get up and dance to songs they don't know or have never heard before.  He thinks that good music is good music, and people won't have a problem dancing to it.  He said that he would just hate it if we ended up having a wedding with stuff like the Macarena, or Britney Spears.  I'm afraid that we'll have such an obscure playlist that we'll have an empty dance floor all night long and no one will have a very good time. 

Does anyone have thoughts/suggestions on this?  Do you think guests will want to hear music they know, or will they not care either way?  
Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards