Catholic Weddings
Options

Shortened Ceremony

I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd ask. My FI and I are both Catholic.  We are having a Catholic ceremony. I was wondering if anyone knows if we can have a shortened ceremony or a non-mass (which I've heard can be done if one of the couple is not Catholic).  But can a non-mass be done if we are both Catholic?  Just curious if we can shorten the length of the ceremony….

Re: Shortened Ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It is all going to depend on your parish. If you are NOT participating catholics meaning you dont go to mass regularly the priest may agree to just do a ceremony and not the nuptuial mass. But yes most times if you are both catholic they want you to do a full mass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are both catholic and we did not have a mass. Just say you don't want one, you'd prefer the ceremony only. We had a deacon marry us, which nulified the issue anyway.
    My little loves
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the mass/no mass between two Catholics depends on the parish.To make the ceremony even shorter, you can skip the flowers to Mary part, pick a priest who does not give long homilies, choose shorter songs, not have a long processional, have the psalm and mass parts spoken and not sung, and have only a few petitions.In fact, if you completely skip the singing and just have instrumental music, you'll probably shave quite a bit of time off of the ceremony length.  It would just make me sad though since singing is supposed to be a way of connecting to God, and it's something that I personally enjoy!Why do you want to make it shorter?  While I don't wish that my FI converted or anything, I sort of wish that we were both Catholic just so I would feel comfortable enough to have communion at our wedding; the sacraments are pretty important to me, so I would rather tweak other things before cutting it out.GL!  I'm sure you can do it!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you do not have to have Mass, but its really nice to do so if you can, as the Mass gives you extra nuptial blessings and graces to help you with your marriage.  not having Mass usually only shaves off maybe 10-15 minutes. your ceremony (with or without Mass) is the most important part of your wedding day.  why right through it?
  • Options
    PolarBearFansPolarBearFans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our church, it is only 15 minutes shorter to have just the ceremony. There are still the required readings, so you can only make it so short.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards