Catholic Weddings
Options

Sponsor couple

Sorry if this has been asked several times, but I'm wondering what exactly a sponsor couple is. I have posted on this board before. FI and I were both baptized catholic but he has received communion and confirmation, I have not but I will be attending RCIA classes so that I can. Our priest mentioned that we will need a sponsor couple. Are they assigned to us or do we have to find a couple we already know? What exactly do they do? Are they involved in the wedding? Thanks!

Re: Sponsor couple

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our sponsor couple actually led us through the marriage prep stuff. We met with them several times for a few hours each time, and they were the ones conducting the discussions about communication, conflict resolution, all the standard pre-Cana stuff.Normally in my church, they are assigned to the engaged couple, but ours was actually a couple that we knew, and they run the marriage prep program so they "assigned" themselves to us.I do think that it's done a little differently in my church from most churches, so your best bet is to just ask your priest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours basically went through our foccus with us and facilitated the discussions that followed. I think this varies parish to parish, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our parish told us we had to have a sponsor couple too. I have to admit I'm annoyed because this just adds more stuff that I have to deal with. The sponsor couple is a Catholic married couple that attends church and has a strong faith. They are supposed to help you along in the marriage process and also be there for you after you are married as neutral counselors. Since they are supposed to be neutral, you aren't supposed to choose relatives. We ended up having to pick my FI's little sister's best friend's parents because we see them around at church sometimes and they are the only non-relatives we could think of. Its going to be kinda awkward asking them because we don't really even know them. haha.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that it is a great idea. I know that the church requires so much prior to the wedding, but I have found that almost everything has been worth it and enjoyable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards