Catholic Weddings
Options

Couples with Children

I have a question, if you and your fiance already have a child and live together. Then, are you still able to have a traditional wedding ceremony/mass or will only a convalidation be given.

Re: Couples with Children

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the church, they may make you jump through a great many hoops to prove your dedication to your faith so be prepared for that.
  • Options
    ChihuahuaGolfChihuahuaGolf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Out of 7 couples at our marriage prep course - two of them had kids, and lived together! I don't know about jumping through hoops, they didn't have to do anything extra - but I do know that you can't get married while pregnant at my church. They just want to make sure you aren't getting married just for the kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married and have two children already! We did not jump through any hoops just the normal ones that everyone else does. We were not able to have a full mass due to our diocese's rules but it may differ in different areas.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    they wont give a convalidation, as that is waht's given wehn you married outside of teh church and you are legally married, but not married in the eyes of the church and you need to receive your sacrament.you can still have a catholic wedding, Mass may or may not be allowed.  you can technically only receive communion if you are in a state of grace; therefore, if you are engaging in pre-marital sex (which is assumed if you are living together, but not always true) the priest may not want to give Mass knowing you would be receiving communion with mortal sin on your soul, unless you confess your sins and abstain until your wedding day.its really up to the priest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a 9yo daughter, was never married, my FI is not her father and our Priest is not giving us any issues.  We do currently live together but didn't at the time we filled out our paperwork.
  • Options
    ZoolooZooloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have two children from a previous marriage, and my fiance and I currently live together. There's no reason why we can't have a mass; we opted not to just because I'm really the only person who would be receiving communion. My fiance is not Catholic, and neither are our families. Our choice had nothing to do with the fact that I have kids or that we live together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    branwens_mumbranwens_mum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are currently living together, and have a 4-year-old daughter, but the only issue preventing us from having a Mass is that he's not Catholic. Our celebrant was _very_ understanding of the situation. Your mileage may vary, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards