Catholic Weddings

Fiancee Deployed?

Is there any way to do wedding prep if your fiancee is deployed?   This has struck fear in my heart.   We'll have to put off the wedding even further.    ACKKKKKKKK!!!Thanks in advance for the support/response all.Shell
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fiancee Deployed?

• edited December 2011
    The only way to know about this is to ask your priest. Different diocese have different requirements and time-frames and some priest are more strick than others.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm a fellow military fiancee, so I understand where you are coming from. It depends on a few things- my FI and I did our Pre-Cana online while he was stationed in OH and I was living in DC. Some dioceses accept the online version, some do not, so check with your priest, like PP said. Basically, the online version works like this: you get questions from them, you read through and answer them, then send in your answers. Someone at the organisation that runs it reads them and gives you feedback on your answers. Depending on how much computer time he gets, he could read through them, send you his answers, you could add your input, then send them to the "graders". But in order for that to work, he would need about a solid hour of computer time one a week or so. That may be hard to come by, depending on his assignment. Good luck!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Check with your parish- we did our best to schedule the wedding around the deployment (hence the 3 year engagement), but he is coming home next month to NY and probably getting stop lossed until somewhere between Dec-Feb. My parish usually requires engaged encounter weekend AND sponsor couple, but is willing to let us drop the sponsor couple if the timing won't work out for the May wedding. We did our FOCUS test while he was home on leave, and are going to score it once he gets home. It all depends on how willing they are to work with you- and if you are on or near base with him, you aren't the first deployed engagement they've seen, and will know how to help. Best of luck to you!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck!  I don't really have anything to add, except that I have been in the same situation and it is tough.  Talk to your priest and have your FI talk to his Catholic chaplain--both now and when he deploys (if that person is different).  Priests that are part of the military can be more flexible about this stuff, and maybe he can work with the priest where you plan to marry. We had to schedule everything around R&R.  The sessions we had to complete were intensive, but could be completed in two weeks' time, plus engaged encounter.  We were lucky that an EE weekend was scheduled during his R&R.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad you asked this question, because my FI is currently deployed and I've been trying to figure out how we can work through this with him floating out in the middle of the Atlantic on a Navy ship. VERY helpful answers, ladies, thank you so much!
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards