Catholic Weddings
Options

Bridesmaids backgrounds

I am getting married in my hometown Catholic church.  My fiance is protestant, so we decided not to have a mass.  None of my bridesmaids are Catholic, other than my sister, the MOH.  Specifically, my two best friends from graduate school are going to be in the wedding and are Muslim.  One of them wears hijab (headscarf, etc) and the other does not.  My other bridesmaids are Jewish and Lutheran.  Has anyone else had bridesmaids of varying religious backgrounds?  Have any issues come up while planning the ceremony?Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaids backgrounds

• Options
    ZoolooZooloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the only person in the wedding party that's Catholic. ^_^ It's all good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically, your official witness has to be Catholic. Your priest may or may not care, but if he does, you just need a Catholic to sign the paper. I imagine your sister could do this. I think it's awesome that you are involving so many diverse people!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we have a variety and had no issues.  the catholic folks took communion, the others didn't.  it's pretty simple. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like pp said, one witness is suppose to be Catholic, but we were never asked if either of ours were Catholic, so at least our church didn't care. Most of our wedding party doesn't go to any Church. I think the only thing that matters is that they are respectful during the ceremony, so not a problem.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a Catholic ceremoney not a mass same as you Our wedding party included Catholics, Episcopalian, jewish,muslim, lutheran,agnostic, and budist. There is no part of teh ceremoney that it makes any difference. The only things that my church required was that the readers believe what they were reading which was ok as are readers were christian relatives
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, some priests don't pay attention at all. My sister's godparents aren't even Catholic b/c the priest never asked LOL
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    KatelobsterKatelobster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a full Mass. In our 6-person wedding party, the  MOH is evangelical Christian, one bridesmaid and one groomsman are Jewish, the best man is gay (not that that's a religion, just sayin'!) and the two Catholics are my brother and his sister.I won't be asking the Jews to do readings... I might ask the evangelical Christian MOH to though. I'll have to explain the Eucharist to the non-Catholics and tactfully say why they shouldn't take it, but I can't see that hurting any of their feelings.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My MOH is Catholic. One bridesmaid is protestant, the other isn't baptised but is thinking of getting baptised Catholic. On FI's side, his best man is a practicing Catholic, one of his groomsmen was raised as such but is now atheist, and the other is I'm not sure what. We may also add some cousins to our party, and I have extended the offer for his sister to be a BM, but she hasnt decided yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A huge chunk of our wedding party was not Catholic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards