Catholic Weddings
Options

Witnesses

We are getting married at my hometown church but have done our applications and pre-cana in the town we currently live in. The Sister at our church is insisting our witnesses be a couple we would like to model. I couldn't think of anyone but my own parents and really I don't want to be like any other couple. FI talked to her yesterday and asked if she could leave the section empty on the form and we could talk to the priest who is marrying us about it. I just assumed it would be the MOH and BM. Who are/were your witnesses?

Re: Witnesses

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ours were MOH & BM. They signed the papers the night before the wedding at the rehearsal dinner. I've never heard of not using the MOH/BM unless there was an issue with age or their background. Our priest did not even check whether our witnesses were practicing Catholics.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our MOH and BM were our witnesses too, and they are not married to each other. Our priest actually didn't care who the witnesses were, since they were only signing civil documents. Our marriage sponsors, the ones who took us through all the prep, were definitely a couple that we would like to model.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    our witnesses were our MOH and BM.i do personally think that your witnesses (MOH and BM) should be Catholic, but that is my personal opinion. 
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically the only requirement for witnesses is that they be of legal age and confirmed in the Catholic Church. Some priests are less picky about the last one, but I've never heard of someone requiring a couple. I would definitely talk to the priest about it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lanerob1lanerob1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies...our priest finally called us back and told us it was our choice who we wanted as our witnesses. I was relieved. I can't understand why she was pushing us to have a model couple. We will have our MOH and BM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards