Catholic Weddings

No Cantor?

Do you think it would be possible to have a non-mass catholic wedding ceremony without a cantor? I tried to contact my organist/pianist about this, but he's MIA :( The only thing I could see this being an issue with is the Alleluia? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: No Cantor?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you dont need him.  we had a wedding WITH mass and did not have any sort of vocalist/cantor.  saved us $150.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The gospel acclamation can be spoken, and the psalm can be read. (I always prefer sung psalms, but that's just me because I'm a musician.) If you don't want a cantor, you don't need one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Our church required a cantor.  I'd check with your priest.  It sounds like it wasn't a problem for others, so maybe this was just something specific to my parish.
    DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts (4AB & 3BB); 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Keeping fingers crossed
    Everyone is welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's aboslutely necessary, but if your group isn't a particularly musical (or Catholic) one, then don't be shocked or disappointed if you can't really hear your guests singing. I would especially point out that if your guest list includes a lot of non-Catholics, then they might feel lost because most of our standard songs are not that well-known outside of the Catholic Church. But, you might have a more instrumental ceremony in mind, so it might be perfect. It sounds like it's worked for other people, so if that's your vision, go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards