Catholic Weddings

What are your church decorations?

I'm really not sure how to decorate the church.  The priest said "it's your wedding.  Do whatever you want."  I don't want to spend too much money.
Any suggestions?

Re: What are your church decorations?

• We put a large hydrangea wreath on each of the two front doors.

Inside, one large arrangement on the altar (partially hydrangea) and a single hydranga stem with a bow at the end of every second pew.

The church was quite simple and more would have been overdone
  • We aren't doing anything. Our church is really beautiful on its own, we don't want to take away from that. I don't think they are necessary, but you could always do a couple bouquets of flowers and a few pew bows
  • My church was also very beautiful, but we still opted to put a couple flower arrangements up front. Also, we had small sunflower arrangements attached to every other pew (tied/hung with a ribbon- weren't allowed to use tape since it can damage the pews.) That got expensive but we thought it was worth it. :-)
    Anniversary
  • Kinda depends on your church- ours wasn't BAD by any means, but it also wasn't amazingly beautiful (you know what I mean). So, we used the pew bows that have been used in our family for the past 5 years in three other weddings, and I ordered two small-medium arrangements- might have stood three foot tall, at the base of either side of the altar, since you can't put anything ON the altar.

That was pretty much it. GL!
    Anniversary
  • We are going to have an arrangement of white flowers on either side of the alter. The church building is relatively new, so it doesn't need anything else to look good!
  • I feel like a lot of church decorations sometimes either distracts from an already beautiful church or attracts attention to a less-lovely location.

We just did two tall arrangements behind the altar (on either side of the tabernacle -- where there is typically an arrangement anyway). The florist ended up with extra flowers, so she put small bunches at the front of the altar and the ambo. It was lovely and simple. By the time we had 8 attendants, a priest, the two of us, family, etc....our small, simple chapel looked like it was decorated for us without being over the top.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not planning on doing many decorations, if any at all.  The chapel (below) that we're using is quite old and quaint, and they just re-did the carpeting and re-finished the exposed beams.  The aisles are a bit too narrow for pew bows, so I'm thinking we may just leave it as is.  I may do something on the exterior doors, but that's about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had two tall white flower arrangements on either side of the altar.  The church was so gorgeous we didn't feel like we needed anything, but we wanted to donate the flowers for all the masses that week.
    Anniversary

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2012
    I will be doing this, but in our wedding colors.  It's simple and lovely and it won't break the bank!  I purchased the fabric roses from ebay and the ribbon from ribbonbazaar.com.

• Large arrangements on either side of the Altar to match the bride's and bridesmaids' bouquets. Hopefully they'll mostly last 'til Sunday following my Monday wedding.

I, too, have a beautiful old church, the finest example of carpenter gothic architecture in the region, with mostly original furnishings.
  • Our church didn't really need anything, but already happened to have a lot of beautiful flowers from Easter and the priestly ordinations that preceeded our wedding ceremony!
  • My mom is insisting on something for the altar, but if she wasn't we wouldn't be doing anything--I prefer for the church to speak for itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards