Catholic Weddings
Options

Nuptial Mass songs

I've been reading the music posts below and getting some good ideas for songs for our ceremony, combined with the ones that I like from regular Sunday Masses. We didn't get a list from our church, our packet only contained readings and ceremony text and such. We're meeting with the musical director soon to pick out music.

Does anyone know if the songs can be purely instrumental? Can we just choose our songs and ask the musical director to play them but not sing them?

Re: Nuptial Mass songs

• Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having some purely instrumental songs.  The psalm must be sung but I don't see why the other music couldn't be purely instrumental.  It will probably be up to your music director and how accomodating he is. 
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically, the hymns should be participatory (and therefore should be sung) but your parish may or may not be lax about this rule. The processional and recessional can be instrumental though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our parish said that the communion hymn should be congregational, but everything else could be instrumental.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards