Catholic Weddings

Quick question re: Catholic Ceremony Vows

Are the bride and groom allowed to write/read their own vows in a Catholic ceremony?  I know a lot of it is the liturgy, but when it comes to vows, does it have to be the traditional, or can they be personalized?

Re: Quick question re: Catholic Ceremony Vows

• Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not allowed to write your own vows. However, in my Together for Life book which was given to me by the church to help plan my wedding mass, it has a section where you can read personalized letters to each other and in those letters you could put personal promises similar to vows as long as the priest approves of them.  But, it's still up to your priest because my preist doesn't agree with that section of the together for life book and doesn't want that added.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of couples reading other vows. Maybe your priest would let you add those in, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, I don't think so.  But you can design your ceremony by picking the vows and readings you like best from Together for Life.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was allowed to write my own vows as long as they contained the components of the traditional vows, but we chose not to. My church is quite liberal. Ask your priest to be sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    No, I don't think you can write your own vows. You just choose your readings to reflect what you are trying to convey to your guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Our church will let us write our own, but they must be approved by the priest.
    We aren't going to for the ceremony.
    We are going to write our own and deliever them at the reception to each other though.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were allowed to write a set of vows that we could read to each other before the standard, "I X take you Y to be my husband" Catholic vows. They wouldn't replace the standard vows, just precede them.

Our priest said he'd have to approve them beforehand and they'd have to contain both positive and negative elements like the standard ones do (for example, "I will stand by you in sunshine and in rain, I will share your laughter and your tears," etc.).

We opted not to write our own, though, and will just recite the standard vows. So ask your priest if this is an option - it seems to vary by parish.
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome.  Thanks for all the quick feedback.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards