Catholic Weddings

Let's Talk Hurricane

A beautiful sunny day here, the calm before the storm.

OOT, are you hunkering down or are you getting out of the city?

We are expecting pretty bad winds here in MA, and the whole state is on potential flood watch.

Re: Let's Talk Hurricane

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm just outside of NYC - we're likely going to have some major flooding and lots of tree damage. They're saying we'll start feeling it late Saturday night. I'm expecting power outages - gotta run out and get some flashlights!

Tonight I'm heading into the city for KARAOKE! WOOHOO!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FL got lucky this time.

However, this all has inspired me to order an emergency radio and get some emergency supplies to keep at hand.  Hurricaines usually give a couple days' warning, but it's nice to be able to have the basics and avoid the panicked rush.
  • edited December 2011
    We're supposed to have a pretty rough time with power outages and flooding. I am ENTIRELY unprepared!  I have barely any food at home, let alone stuff that doesn't require cooking.  I don't own a flashlighth, and apparently they're all sold out here.  I have no bottled water.  So I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping my power doesn't go out!  Going to  the grocery store after work, but I'll be lucky if I get out alive!!

My Dad sent me a text this morning: You're welcome to come stay with us but NO CATS!  Vodka is welcome, though.  And I will reimburse you for it. 

Gotta love my dad lol.

• edited December 2011
    I guess we're on the opposite end of the spectrum here in Texas. Not sure if we're still officially in a drought, since we had a bit of a sprinkle yesterday. Must have been our prayer for rain at the beginning of mass on Sunday!
    Anniversary
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_lets-talk-hurricane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:3581a190-80bf-4a63-812e-6f205f0faed1Post:2ae0521c-3db0-4e7f-a488-10ee922a1205">Re: Let's Talk Hurricane</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess we're on the opposite end of the spectrum here in Texas. Not sure if we're still officially in a drought, since we had a bit of a sprinkle yesterday. Must have been our prayer for rain at the beginning of mass on Sunday!
    Posted by caiti2u[/QUOTE]

Same here in Oklahoma.... Another 100 degree day. We might have a cool front next week and get down to 97! WOO!

What is rain again?
    Photobucket
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    wow, girls, sometimes I am sooo happy I live in the boring ol' midwest, where nothing more exciting ever happens than a tornado! 
    I'm sending up a prayer for y'all!
    Anniversary
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    resa, is it raining in DC yet?

we actually might get tornadoes in the eastern part of the state.  the hurricane winds are worst to the east of the eye.  the eye is supposed to be over teh Berkshires.  they said today that the winds might kick up some more tornadoes.
  • edited December 2011
    Not rain yet.  It's super sunny and hot, actually.  I think the rain is supposeed to hit tomorrow,  but the forecast keeps changing so I'm not sure.  But at the moment, it just looks like a regular hot, summer day.  I haven't heard anything about tornados, but we're supposed to be getting up to 50 mph winds.  We have a tropical storm warning and a flash flood warning, and I heard from a friend that the governor has put VA under a state of emergency (I actually live in Northern VA, not DC.  Hate how TK doesn't distinguis, and we don't have our own local board.  I only go into DC once a year or so lol)

I have relatives in Boston and the Outer Banks (although the OBX relatives have evacuated so they're ok) -- definitely keeping everyone AND their houses in my prayers!!

• edited December 2011
    I'm in Philly right now - not in the direct line, but still closer than I'd like. Have a flight out tonight and will be back in the boring Midwest. Sending up prayers for anyone that may be affected.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's super hot here, now that the tendrils of the storm have all passed by.  Two days ago, I could not believe how windy it was, I'd never seen clouds move so quickly across the sky.

A prayer for you in the storm's path that you stay safe and dry, and for you in drought lands, may there be some restorative rain!  (If only we could even out all the rain across the country so that we'd all be perfectly hydrated.)
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

MEMA says that the worst for us will be sunday, 10am to 6pm.  40-60MPH winds, 5 inches of rain.  possible gusts of up to 80MPH.  lovely.

• edited December 2011
    I'm in Virginia Beach. :-/  I'm not planning on evacuating, though.  They sent us home from work at lunch today, and they cancelled work for Monday.  I bought a few gallons of water, and have canned goods, so we'll see how this goes...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Be safe, girls!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I hope everyone in the path of the storm is safe. I will be praying for you all as well as some of my family memebers in VA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards