Catholic Weddings
Options

Pre-Cana/Engaged Encounter Mix?

Hi Everyone! 
I am new to this board, and I just have a quick question for you ladies:

I am doing our marriage course with my FI in NYC (I'm in Canada) and so instead of a traditional Pre Cana that might go over the course of several weeks, or even one week,  we opted to do what I thought was an engaged encounter, but it is split up over two weekends (two saturdays in a row, all day) instead of a weekend retreat type deal. 

Has anyone experienced an engaged encounter/pre-cana that is set up like this? Also: FI is skeptical about it - any advice for what to tell him?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Pre-Cana/Engaged Encounter Mix?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I just went on our EE weekend this past weekend. I have never heard of one that is over 2 different weekends. Our options were either a 2 or 3 day weekend retreat. We did the 3 day, ours started Friday night and ended with mass on Sunday afternoon. Our Priest requires the EE, but also pre-Cana, which is basically meetings with the Priest, we had to take the FOCUS test, etc. This differs from parish to parish and even Priest to Priest. For example, we live in Georgia, but are both from Ohio and are getting married in Ohio. The Priest in GA is preparing us for marriage, but he does not require the EE weekend, but since we are getting married in OH at a different church, we have to fullfill that Priest's requirements if this makes any sense. Bottom line, I would just ask your Priest to clarify what his specific requirements are so you can fullfill all of them.
  • Options
    calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me and my fiance are also in NYC. We are doing the all day saturday classes on two seperate weekends- basically the one you described. This is the one reccommended by my priest. Here is the website you should sign up with: flrl.org Are you getting married in NY or Canada? Because that could also be why its different. In any case, my priest gave us a little book/brohure that explained everything. I think you should talk to your priest and do the one the he requires. Because although my church requires the one I'm signed up for, perhaps yours have different requirements. Hope this helped! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, girls! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards